Annual HG 2nd of January walk.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Annual HG 2nd of January walk.

Postby Josef » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:15 pm

Yes, it's that time again, where even the likes of you lot can be part of the biggest social event of the year. Iiiits.... the HG 2nd of January walk!!!

Led this year by the estimable Guacho of this parish.

See the site of Barnhill poorhouse!
The Red Road flats!
The Wallace monument, and the well where he had his last drink as a free man (both probably likely to "vanish" with the spread of housing)!
In Blackhill, the site of the distillery and miner's welfare!
Paddle in the Molendinar!
The spire and the only bit of philanthropy Lord Glenconner provided for the area that made him millions!

All this and the legendary Hunter's Tea.

Meet at Springburn Station at roughly 11 a.m., depending on train times (to be confirmed later).
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Annual HG 2nd of January walk.

Postby tobester » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:55 pm

Looking at the rail site Josef, theres no trains between Partick and Shettleston via Queen St Low Level

No service low level to Springburn, BUT and hourly service form Queen St High level, leaves at 22mins past the hour and returns at
17mins past the hour.

Buses between partick and shettleston, but trains will run to/from central low level
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Guacho » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:39 pm

Meet at 11.30 at Springburn Station? The walk is about 6 or 7 miles, which should let us finish before dark.

Or more likely after dark :D
Guacho
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vinegar Tom » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:13 pm

before dark? ::):

Looking forward to it. Thanks for organising G.
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Monument » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:53 pm

Yes, it sounds like a great walk. I guess I will have to drive in from the sticks, so my attendance will be weather and hangover dependent.
A vagabond on the way.
Monument
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby InkMan » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:37 am

Hey Dude's. I won't be able to make it to the Christmas night out as I am still pratted due to being off work then my employer failing to inform me in time that my employee Statutory Sick Pay ran out. I am now applying for benefit, will be extraordinarily lucky to receive anything before the end of the year (I am applying from December 02nd and despite my half hour telephone interview being last Thursday I am still waiting on my written applications). Best of all is that as I use my parents address for all my details this means that I must use Shettleston. This is where, following a soul destroying short employment stint prior to joining the MOD, I grassed the boss and her small but noticeable clique of assholes for the manner they addressed clients to the local MP who was, at that time Jimmy Wray. Not only that but I encouraged many of the people who I was helping to do the same.
Long time ago but last time I claimed benefit was in 2008 and I saw a couple the staff still worked in the combined office. Wish me luck!

Anyhooz, the Loose Woman esque boo-hoo over I will definitely be along for our annual sojourn and soiree.

Shuggy
Cleggy you snickering floppy eared hound when courage is needed, you're ne'er around.
Those medals you wear on your moth-eaten chest should be there for bungling at which you are best.
InkMan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Josef » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:13 am

InkMan wrote:Dude's.

Aaargh! You are hereby drummed out of the HG Punctuation Club.

Just a week or so to go now.

Btw, the ingredients of that Hunters Tea stuff don't come cheap and Poodiecat has been shouldering the cost for several years now. The odd pound coin would come in handy as a contribution from all you regulars.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby InkMan » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:37 pm

Josef wrote:Aaargh! You are hereby drummed out of the HG Punctuation Club.

Just a week or so to go now.

Btw, the ingredients of that Hunters Tea stuff don't come cheap and Poodiecat has been shouldering the cost for several years now. The odd pound coin would come in handy as a contribution from all you regulars.

My humblest apologies' Josef. And I wont do it again.

Great point about a contribution. Hopefully I will also have a hip flask of finest malt to share.

Shuggy
Cleggy you snickering floppy eared hound when courage is needed, you're ne'er around.
Those medals you wear on your moth-eaten chest should be there for bungling at which you are best.
InkMan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Vinegar Tom » Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:47 pm

I'm happy to contribute to the tea fund ( and I'm sure Josef has instigated such a thing on at least a couple of occasions?). Looking forward to the Austrian walking juice.
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:58 pm

The Curse of HG strikes again.

It's the end as historic halls are demolished
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Guacho » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:37 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:The Curse of HG strikes again.

It's the end as historic halls are demolished

Interestingly, on the same day as a letter appeared in the Herald, urging action to be taken to save the hall :(
Guacho
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Denham » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:18 pm

sorry guys I ain't signed into the forum for months and months! been mega busy.

Wish i could make this walk but im back into work at 9am on the 2nd January.

Look forward to seeing pictures from the walk though. :)
Denham
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Boxer6 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:31 pm

Not the best photo I've ever taken, but it was a bit rushed.

Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Boxer6
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vinegar Tom » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:10 pm

Guacho wrote:Interestingly, on the same day as a letter appeared in the Herald, urging action to be taken to save the hall :(

And a follow up letter today:

"Paul Sweeney's erudite plea on behalf of Springburn Burgh Halls clearly fell on deaf ears (Letters, December 27). The newly razed site is testament to a cavalier disregard for communities and for our Victorian forefathers' legacy of flamboyant architecture, swashbuckling civil engineering, splendid public parks and libraries; often donated to the villages which now constitute Glasgow.

I note and applaud ex-Provost Bob Winter's endeavours for the sensitive refurbishment of Maryhill Burgh Halls, John Prescott's revitalised environs of Hull and so on. Interestingly, during the Springburn Halls' decline the constituency was represented by the Speaker of the Commons.

As a pupil of Albert Senior Secondary School (now also disappeared) our prizegivings and school operas formed part of the programme of events at Springburn Burgh Halls, supported by a warm and proud community of world-class engineers and their families. I later witnessed the impact of Margaret Thatcher's negation of the community concept and the parallel transfer of railway workshops to Derby. Meanwhile our planners championed housing us in concrete filing cabinets notable for their minimalist ground plan, maximum density and abject sterility. The Red Road Flats, built on less than a square mile, housed more souls than Perth but without a commensurate increase in transport or other obvious services.

In this context it is more than a public hall that has been dismantled but a society, by its own elected leaders obsessed with the price of everything and the value of nothing.

George Devlin,

Rosebank, 6 Falcon Terrace Lane, Glasgow."
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Guacho » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:41 am

Around 17 have declared on both sites for the walk* *gulp*. Hope I can keep you entertained :oops:
Guacho
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Forum Archive