White lights in the sky over Glasgow tonight 15th Sept 2009

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: White lights in the sky over Glasgow tonight 15th Sept 2009

Postby Toaster » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:52 pm

mini_mad wrote:
toaster wrote:The support beams for the M74 over the Paisley Railway lines were lowered into place last night. The area was lit up like a Christmas Tree when I passed it at around 10:30pm.

It was probably something to do with that.

Toaster, were these lights at the M74 works moving after each other or were they stationary temporary lights that didnt move? And also did they show a beam from the source of where the light was, as these lights didnt have a beam or a trail of light from them..

mini_mad

I didn't see any searchlights. I only saw the area along West Street - too busy driving. However, the big mobile crane lifting the supports into position is on an elevated spot, so it's quite possible any lighting used to help would have been aimed skywards. Just a theory.

Christ, you realise you're on a classy* forum when the moderators are the rudest posters on a thread...

*that's "classy" as in sad little backwater that could be something a hell of a lot better.
Toaster
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby allyharp » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:11 pm

Not really on topic, but does anyone have statistics on the number of posters who don't come back after say, 10 posts?

I'm willing to bet it's fucking huge with the hounding new people get on here.
allyharp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby allyharp » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:16 pm

Toaster wrote:Christ, you realise you're on a classy* forum when the moderators are the rudest posters on a thread...

A really good point. It's behaviour you'd expect from teenagers on rock forum. Not mature adults with an interest in history, architecture and photography.
allyharp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:21 pm

allyharp wrote:Not really on topic, but does anyone have statistics on the number of posters who don't come back after say, 10 posts?

I'm willing to bet it's fucking huge with the hounding new people get on here.

:D
click on the member's button top right. and do a wee bit of filtering
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby allyharp » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:36 pm

Cheers for the idea Foss,

Well there's 4047 members, but roughly 1975 have never posted.

So 2072 posting members... 1425 of which have between 1 & 10 posts (inclusive)

69%!
allyharp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:13 am

allyharp wrote:Cheers for the idea Foss,

Well there's 4047 members, but roughly 1975 have never posted.

So 2072 posting members... 1425 of which have between 1 & 10 posts (inclusive)

69%!

You'll need a broader sample than one site to know whether or not you have a point there, ally. For all we know, that could be a spectacularly low percentage for a site of this (or any other) nature. Lies, damn lies and statistics, and all that. My bet is that it's probably roughly par.

I'd suggest that there's maybe a bit of negative reinforcement here : when something 'bad' happens, people remember it. When it happens again, well, it's aways happening. The helping out of 'low number' posters - well, that's what's supposed to happen, isn't it?

My opinion is that HG walks the thin line between dullness and liveliness reasonably well. We do have a minor issue with first-time posters being taken to task, but it's just that - a minor one. In general it's a far less aggressive site than many a one I've seen, and aggressive posters are usually taken to task by the mods or the general membership.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby billy_bookcase » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:25 am

Josef wrote:We do have a minor issue with first-time posters being taken to task, but it's just that - a minor one.

FFS!
billy_bookcase
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby cumbo » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:30 am

Tesco are doing a great deal with light bulbs just now its the energy saving ones,3 for £1.00.
cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby allyharp » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:52 am

Oh of course Jo, I'm not claiming to have produced statistically sound evidence in 10 minutes! A lot of those 1-10 posters will still be active of course, and a lot of them will have joined here for a specific purpose, been served, and left happily.

I'm no uber geek but I've been on plenty of internet forums for years now, and not once anywhere other than here have I seen new posters greeted with such hostile, blunt replies as "Use the search button before you post."

You're right though, there are far more aggressive sights out there. But most often that aggression is delivered in an over the top, ALL CAPS, lots of expletives way which is clearly has no real meaning and people can happily ignore. When it's delivered more mid-tone from people who - from their internet persona at least - appear otherwise respectable I can see why people would take it to heart a bit more.
allyharp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:04 am

Please stay on topic

Look at the kitten if that was too hard

My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Shardonnay » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:08 am

Think I will look at the kitten aw bless :D
Shardonnay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:53 pm

It looks like there's a white light shining on that kitten. I do hope it's still there in the morning and hasn't been abducted or owt. :wink:
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Shardonnay » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:03 pm

::):
Shardonnay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gerr » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:14 pm

I saw th lights to and am not on drugs or booze! I called my daughter out and she saw them too. at first i thought it was maybe some light show practice from hampden? They all went out at one point and then came back , one or two disappeared and then it all went dark. i've never seen anything like it and thought it would have made the news. if my daughter hadn't seen them then i would have thought i was imaging it. Hmmm
gerr
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby floweredpig » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:00 am

I have not seen a light in the sky however whilst making my way upstairs last Tuesday evening i happened to glance upwards and noticed my skylight that a allowed a brief but exciting glimpse of the night sky.I spent a moment pondering the magnitude of the universe and my insignificant part in it,then continued upstairs with a slight spring in my step.I mentioned this incident to a work collegue the following morning however it meant nothing to her as she said she was watching a DVD at the time.
floweredpig
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Random Distractions