The fecking place is boilin!

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: The fecking place is boilin!

Postby Doorstop » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:00 pm

Castle Doorstop Internal temp: 24.8ºC

Castle Doorstop External temp: 24.1ºC

Fuckin' hot for 11 o'clock no matter what colour you paint it.
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:11 pm

Aye, roll on December, eh?
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:47 pm

never mind its the fair soon, be pishing doon
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:57 pm

Dave wrote:Is it me or is it getting hotter as the evening goes on. t'was 26'C earlier, now 28'c (according to my brewers thermometer). No breeze at all, not fun.

Depends on the construction of your house, Dave.

Most places with a solid brick, stone and/or concrete structure will absorb heat all day long and at 56 degrees north there are plenty of hours in the day for Dave Towers, Castle Doorstop and Brigit's Bombshelter to do this. If you have the windows open the heat will come in on the breeze if there is one or will find some means of convection. There is then the heat that comes in through transmission. That's from the guilty parties named above. The bricks in my place expand and contract and usually one will "ping" once during the day. It's been like a xylophone this afternoon.

I used to have a cottage in Somerset built in the 1820's with foot-thick walls. It was too solid to "ping", but it'd let you know about it between 10pm and 2am at night. I remember reading the stuff about heat transfer in A-level physics and later reading maths at Cambridge. I've had the technical low-down on it. Bugger that, the gist is it slows up the heat and it creeps through in the small hours to create hell for anyone with hawmaws* or jubblies* or both*.

(*thanks Yoker Brian for teaching me a new word today ("hawmaws"), I'll offer jubblies(look 'em up - the wife's not mine) and well you know the rest and I'll get it sorted and stop banging on about it. Just a couple of weeks.)
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:58 pm

My Kitten wrote:never mind its the fair soon, be pishing doon

Oh please, please, please...
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:03 pm

BrigitDoon wrote:Just a couple of weeks.

We're expecting a photo of the 'Orchids in Formaldehyde' jar before it heads off to the Veterinary nurse, btw.

BrigitDoon wrote:
My Kitten wrote:never mind its the fair soon, be pishing doon

Oh please, please, please...

That's it. I'm bookmarking this thread to revive in January when all you miserable bastards are moaning about the sideways sleet.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dave » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:07 pm

So 4 foot of solid brick atween the inside and the out is why it is closing on 30'c
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby John » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:09 pm

It sounds like you live in an old oven Dave.
'It's a sad day for capitalism when a man can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park'
John
-
-

Postby Dave » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:20 pm

John wrote:It sounds like you live in an old oven Dave.

Feels like it,

According to the BBC it's snowing in New Zealand.
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:00 am

Dave wrote:So 4 foot of solid brick atween the inside and the out is why it is closing on 30'c

Set a blowtorch on the side of a brick. Put your hand on the other side and see how long it takes to bite.

Do the same with a length of copper tube. It's a simple matter of conductivity and it's to do with wee little guys called electrons running away with their arses afire and trying to put them out on your hand...

They run down copper tubes fast enough but take time to get through brick and sandstone. The wee guys aren't big enough to use jack-hammers, remember.

Josef wrote:We're expecting a photo of the 'Orchids in Formaldehyde' jar before it heads off to the Veterinary nurse, btw.

This is going to be a scorcher! Hell, haven't you a good memory too...

My surgeon had the wind taken from his sails when he inspected me and discovered I'd indulged in a Brazilian.

"I prefer for there to be hair to cover the scars..."

I looked at his PA, she looked a filthy scowl at him that I'd have given her if she didn't...

"Personal preference, I understand...", he said.

Now, I need to be nice to this man; I haven't seen the veterinary nurse in ten years...

Anyway, I'll bet he's heard some stories. He's due for a pre-op chat and I think I ought to tell him a few stories of medical folk up to no good at Cambridge, butter him up a bit and see how the humour goes. Oh by the way, where do old hawmaws go to die... Hawmaws... yeah Brian was dodging stair rods in Motherwell but his hawmaws still overheated...

Or some such bollocks like that. Bet you a fiver I pull it off ... er...
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nuttytigger » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:11 am

the only time i like warm weather is when i am abroad in a country that is warmer than ours by default!!!

but i really want snow the whole winter hehe, if i could get snow from 1st november till 31st march, i would be fine, then from 1st may till now being warmer, and getting warmer everyday i would love that

but i think i am being one of these romantic people that want this!
nuttytigger
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:35 am

Overcast, 10C, fine drizzle, 30 mile walk all day long and won't need to drink a drop from the water bottle. Perfect.

Did that the first time I walked out to Whitelee Wind Farm and back.
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:59 am

BrigitDoon wrote:Oh by the way, where do old hawmaws go to die...

I can't answer that one Brigit - I'm rather attached to my "hawmaws" and thats all I'm saying!! 8O
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:28 am

yoker brian wrote:I'm rather attached to my "hawmaws" and thats all I'm saying!! 8O

Good for you! Unfortunately someone installed the wrong operating system here and there's no device driver that will happily connect the dangleware to the brainware. In for a hardware upgrade two weeks tomorrow provided there's not another rending of the spacetimecontinuum. Imagine waking up from the anaesthetic after the op only to find yourself in the same space as your pre-op self with all the bits you should and shouldn't have... :shock:

Anyway, I know I've been rattling on about it rather a lot lately and I'm sorry if anyone finds it tedious. Hopefully I'll get through this next stage and in about six months it will all settle down.

Mind you, there aren't many of us who experience both sides of the fence, so to speak, and I'm sure that what I've gone through can provide enlightenment somewhere down the line. I know the discomfort of sweaty hawmaws (it was awful at half-four yesterday). I know that male motor-car designers don't allow for the sensitive nature of a teenage girl's breasts when they're growing. Or any hormonally induced pain in that area at any age...

I'll write it all up at some point, but for the time being, I'll offer up some food for thought, based on definite experience:

It's putting it slightly simplistically, but not by much...

Girls: the boy has two spuds down there. They are sensitive. If your boobs shrunk to that size and moved down there you'd have an idea why they're so important to the lads. They're vulnerable; they need treated with respect; they provide continuous reassurance of a man's masculinity, just as your boobs tell you and the world of your femininity. My god it hurts when they take a blow. It knocks the wind straight out of you.

Boys: the reverse applies, as any Haynes manual will tell you. Imagine your plums the size of melons on your chest and you'd not be far wrong. You wouldn't stay indoors playing with them all day if they suddenly appeared, any more than you'd do with your plums. You'd still get up and go about your business. Boobs are vulnerable too and they can be a burden rather than a joy sometimes, just as sweaty bollocks. I can't get a bra in my size because I have a man's skeleton and my boobs belong on a sixteen year-old girl. So if I have to run for a bus, I get black eyes and bruised knees. Oh, and aching boobs. :(

Sorry if that's a bit much for anyone (and really it belongs in another thread), but gender variance, as we call it affects us all. There are seven billion of us and we don't fit in two boxes.

We have our bits looked at when we're born and decisions made. If it's one thing you're going in that box; if it's the other you're going over there in the other box. It's not very helpful if you have an intersex condition. Really, the sensible thing to do is let the child grow up and at about age 4-6 they make their own decisions about gender, much as they come to terms with their sexuality during puberty.

It is reckoned that about 1% of the population is transgender. (Sorry Dex, no evidence immediately to hand, but I'll dig for it if necessary.) Including occasional cross-dressers this figure rises to about 7%.

I'll take pm's if anyone needs to talk about it; also, and better still, I'm at [email protected]
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dave » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:52 am

I had rather hoped Sharon's prediction of 17'C would become a reality but we're a whole 10'C above that just outside of dreary Galston. The sky has a threatening look to it, should I take the dog out for a walk or will I get drooned halfway round?
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Random Distractions