HG Movie Critique.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: HG Movie Critique.

Postby dimairt » Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:24 pm

RDR, you ask "is it a patch on that?" Not sure really, it's a film of the first book whereas the tv version covered all three books in the Quair.
It's getting mixed reviews and my son didn't care for it all; he saw it first, I babysat, but it didn't put me off. Hope you'll go too and let us know what you think.
I've watched the first part on YouTube and thoroughly enjoyed it. Helibron is terrific as Chris, just as I remembered but there's a great cast of Scottish actors to spot too.

Durachdan,

Eddy

PS - Contains scenes of a sexual nature
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:46 pm

dimairt wrote:RDR, you ask "is it a patch on that?" Not sure really, it's a film of the first book whereas the tv version covered all three books in the Quair.
It's getting mixed reviews and my son didn't care for it all; he saw it first, I babysat, but it didn't put me off. Hope you'll go too and let us know what you think.
I've watched the first part on YouTube and thoroughly enjoyed it. Helibron is terrific as Chris, just as I remembered but there's a great cast of Scottish actors to spot too.

Durachdan,

Eddy

PS - Contains scenes of a sexual nature

The TV version did, but only the 71 version of Sunset Song is available on You Tube.
For some reason, the next two books were only made for TV in 81 and 82, so a ten year gap, don't know why.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Creeping Spleen » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:41 am

Last film I saw at the cinema was "Kingsman: The Golden Circle". Which was very good, liked it a lot.

On the TV, I managed maybe ten minutes of the Cohen Brothers remake of "The Ladykillers" before turning it off, lest I feel the urge to put my foot through the screen.
Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.
The Creeping Spleen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Creeping Spleen » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:21 pm

Saw "Blade Runner 2049" at the GSC IMAX yesterday afternoon.

If I'm brutally honest, it could've been doing with around 20 minutes cut from it, and it would've been the better for it.

2 hours and 43 minutes is far too long for a movie. I shudder to think how long Denis Villeneuve's director's cut will be...
Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.
The Creeping Spleen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dot » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:50 pm

Talking of lengthy films 'Gandhi' which I thought was a good film lasted something like 3 hours 11.
I think I read somewhere that 'Gone with the Wind' was nearly four hours (3hr 58) I believe.

I know what you mean though I think anything over two hours is a long time.
Dot
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:58 pm

I can't stay in a cinema to watch a movie that's longer than 90 minutes from start to finish. When I used to smoke, I always found it difficult to go that length of time but now I find it difficult to stay in the cinema without my bladder screaming at me. Much prefer to wait until it comes to Sky or Netflix, at least that way I can pause, rewind, pause, stop and return later to watch the end.

I went with the kids a few months ago to the Grosvenor to see the Emoji movie - it was a hard task to sit through it, even on their 'posh' sofas....
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Previous

Return to Random Distractions