HG Movie Critique.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: HG Movie Critique.

Postby crazygray23 » Fri May 01, 2009 2:02 pm

Mori wrote:looking forward to this next week.

it looks great imo, finally got rid of that campness the original series had and the general cheezyness the whole franchise had , looks to become a more serious action packed film like the new batman films became
crazygray23
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Sat May 02, 2009 4:28 pm

an old story but ....
Sunday herald

After Indiana Jones and Lord of the Rings ... Tintin's adventures in Scotland?
Speilberg and Jackson team up for new blockbuster series ... with Barra and Arran in the frame for locations

SCOTLAND IS poised to play a leading role in the new film franchise devised by Steven Spielberg and Peter Jackson to follow their successes with Indiana Jones and Lord Of The Rings. The directors will collaborate on a series of films about Tintin, the intrepid young reporter whose international adventures have charmed generations for 80 years.

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mr moto » Sat May 02, 2009 4:41 pm

As far as i am aware, there was only one tintin story set in scotland ...THE BLACK ISLAND . I wonder how far they will stick to herges original stories ? .
mr moto
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Tue May 05, 2009 1:54 am

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby penguinmonkey » Tue May 05, 2009 10:56 am

Could be worth a look.
Sounds like the soundtrack will be up to scratch anyway judging from the trailer can't beat a bit of NIN
It's always funny 'til someone gets hurt and then it's just hilarious
penguinmonkey
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Thu May 07, 2009 9:25 pm

Image <<IMDB>>

I stumbled across this by accident perusing the archives of my usual file sharing sites.

Being a Harrison Ford movie I had not heard of being currently in production I thought I would give it a go and see what's what.

What unfolded was a multi faceted 'layer-cake' come 'sliding doors' affair chronicling the intertwined lives of various officials in the Texas division of the US Immigration and Customs Enforcement department and the unfortunate economic and criminal illegal migrant they pursue.

Ford plays a somewhat jaded veteran official of said department who finds himself torn between the duty of the job and a growing sense of compassion for those he has to routinely capture, incarcerate and deport.

The plot appears, at first thought, as if it might quickly become a bland and boring recounting of what, for the vast majority of Fords' colleagues, has become a routine and heartless almost mechanical task but Fords' characters moment of weakness in releasing an illegal Mexican immigrant woman during a factory raid has convoluted and unexpected consequences that kept me guessing right to the conclusion as to the outcome of the scenario, making me continually evaluate and re-evaluate who were the heroes and who were the villains as seemingly innocuous actions ripple out to have disastrous consequences for some and unexpected outcomes for others.

A depressing subject made thoroughly absorbing not least by a heartfelt and unfeigned, ingenuous portrayal by an obviously ageing Indiana.

Well worth a watch.
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Fri May 08, 2009 12:56 am

Went to see this a few weeks ago, clint eastwood still goin strong... quite hard hitting elaboration of todays selfish society we live in.

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Peetabix » Thu May 14, 2009 6:17 pm

Star Trek

I'm not great with words so I'll keep this short and sweet. Not being a massive Star Trek fan, by massive I mean I only enjoyed The Next Generation and Enterprise, I wasn't caught up in the hype of this movie but 10 minutes into it I didn't want it to end.

There surely couldn't have been anybody better to play Spock than Zachary Quinto. Plays the part brilliantly.

Some silly wee moments but it just adds to that kitschy feel of Star Trek that people love/loved from the originals.

So set your brain to stun, sit back, crack open the ice cream and get it watched.
Peetabix
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Thu May 14, 2009 6:19 pm

I've been waiting eagerly for this .. I may break the habit of a lifetime and actually go to the cinema to see it.
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Peetabix » Thu May 14, 2009 6:28 pm

I might go to the iMAX myself and I hate the pictures now.

Loved it.
Peetabix
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Thu May 14, 2009 7:48 pm

Has anyone seen this ?... i wanted to see this for its effects but i dont think it was in the cinemas for very long.

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cheesemonster » Thu May 14, 2009 8:40 pm

I had no idea that existed, must have flopped really badly :|
"It's hard to believe people think a real cow dying on film doesn't look like a real cow dying on film"

http://flickr.com/photos/dreamlogic
cheesemonster
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Thu May 14, 2009 11:31 pm

cheesemonster wrote:I had no idea that existed, must have flopped really badly :|

Flopped big time right enough

beyondhollywood.com

It cost north of $150 million to make, and scored a meager $18 million in its opening weekend. This, despite a blitzkrieg of advertising on and offline, and some serious buzz in the fan community. Who didn’t geekgasm when the very first picture of the Mach 5 was released? I’m not even a fan of the original cartoon, and even I was intrigued, so I can only imagine how you Speed Racer freaks felt upon seeing it.

Especialy after the Matrix Trilogy Success.

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Fri May 15, 2009 7:03 pm

Tr2n seems to be in the making.

The original 80s 8)

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby draugelis » Fri May 15, 2009 10:18 pm

I just don't get it! Will anybody ever again make classics like The Good,The Bad and the Ugly with the superb Ennio Morricone music, or Bill Forsyth's "That Sinking Feeling" compared to some of the "sci-fi" er, stuff, (refraining oneself from gutterall language) posted on here? Or am I just past it....... :?
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - Tom Waits
draugelis
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Random Distractions