Carlton Club in Glasgow - RIP.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Carlton Club in Glasgow - RIP.

Postby shuffle » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:34 am

It was a JOKE :) People seem to have forgotten the concept of joking recently.
shuffle
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby govan_bhoy » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:48 pm

mer hoorhooses required !!!
govan_bhoy

Postby crazygray23 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:19 pm

ive been back working at the sheriff court since august and its apparently been closed since well before then, carlton place is soo quiet at night now, at least when it was open there was lots of traffic around it , now its dead
crazygray23
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dave » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:03 pm

Sex sells - Tax and regulate it.

Unregulated prostitution will lead to an increase in violent crime (especially against women).
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:11 pm

crazygray23 wrote:ive been back working at the sheriff court since august and its apparently been closed since well before then, carlton place is soo quiet at night now, at least when it was open there was lots of traffic around it , now its dead

I take it The Star Club is long gone, then? It was briefly trendy in the eighties amongst Glasgow bands, primarily because it was dead cheap to hire.

Dave - given that prostitution is unregulated, I take it you mean that legalisation would result in a decrease of violent crime?

Some interesting comments on here.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dave » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:34 pm

Josef wrote:I take it you mean that legalisation would result in a decrease of violent crime?

Nope, it's a personal opinion and not one of these pissed up public opinion polls. And lest we forget the government not only owns the BBC but also the RBS and many other favourable propaganda tools

I don't think legislation will decrease potential issues but taking away and legislating against will drive valued and viable business into the dark side and hence run a higher risk for the normal public and increase risk to workers and services users from that industry.
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:54 pm

So then I'm not getting your point.

I'd be amongst the last people to forget that the BBC is a state-owned organisation.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dave » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:52 pm

Josef wrote:So then I'm not getting your point.

I'd be amongst the last people to forget that the BBC is a state-owned organisation.

Like RBS, and there is fuck all wrong with whorehouses so long as everyone is in agreement with what happens
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:39 am

Josef wrote:
crazygray23 wrote:ive been back working at the sheriff court since august and its apparently been closed since well before then, carlton place is soo quiet at night now, at least when it was open there was lots of traffic around it , now its dead

I take it The Star Club is long gone, then? It was briefly trendy in the eighties amongst Glasgow bands, primarily because it was dead cheap to hire.

The Star Club.

From http://www.starfolkclub.com/history_live_music.htm

"The Star Club was started in the late 70s by Arthur Johnstone of the Laggan in conjunction with other stalwarts of the folk scene in Glasgow and included amongst its founders Norman and Janey Buchan . Based initially in the Communist Party premises in Calton Place, it has consistently sought to provide a platform for local artists and those from further afield. Following Arthur’s decision to step down as club organiser after 16 years, Kenny Caird took on the role, keeping things running through some lean years (which saw many other local clubs close) including 3 venue changes but ensuring the club’s survival through dedication and some very hard work.
Following Kenny’s “retiral” as organiser, the club has been run by a small committee for the last few years, who have recently overseen a further venue change to its new and permanent home in the city’s Traditional Music and Dance centre at St. Andrew’s in the Square (just off the High St. in the Saltmarket)."

The Star was a great Thursday night out. One of the few things worth crossing the river for.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:37 pm

Thanks, Onny. I had presumed that The Star Club was the Communist Party premises.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby John » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:26 pm

I played several gigs in the Star Club back in the early 80s. It was always a fun venue.
'It's a sad day for capitalism when a man can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park'
John
-
-

Postby Stephanie » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:54 am

I am writing a Biography of the late Tom Hall who played at The Star Club approx early 1981 (perhaps on other occasions too) with his band The Celebrated Ratliffe Stout Band, from Northamtpton. I beleive they were well received especially as, coincidently, Tom turned up in his regular attire of Red Tartan Dungaree's and a Red Beret, very fiiting for a Communist Party Premises.

If you have any recollection of Tom Hall, The Celebrated Ratliffe Stout Band, photographs of The Star Club when it was at Carlton Place or can give me a discription of the club premises as they were then, please get in touch.

Many thnks in advance,

Stephanie

http://www.tomhall.org.uk/
Stephanie
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby onyirtodd » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:24 am

Stephanie wrote:I am writing a Biography of the late Tom Hall who played at The Star Club approx early 1981 (perhaps on other occasions too) with his band The Celebrated Ratliffe Stout Band, from Northamtpton. I beleive they were well received especially as, coincidently, Tom turned up in his regular attire of Red Tartan Dungaree's and a Red Beret, very fiiting for a Communist Party Premises.

If you have any recollection of Tom Hall, The Celebrated Ratliffe Stout Band, photographs of The Star Club when it was at Carlton Place or can give me a discription of the club premises as they were then, please get in touch.

Many thnks in advance,

Stephanie

http://www.tomhall.org.uk/

You might try your request over on the Dark Side.http://firstfoot.gladserv.com/forum/index.php Some of the people there were involved in running the folk events at the Star a wee bit later than '81.

Tell them Onny sent you.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crazygray23 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:02 pm

Passed the place leaving work on new years day and the place has been stripped out with a `protected by Alcatraz Security` sign in the window , also there was what seemed to be an all night party being held on the top floor.

ive noticed theres been an electricians van sitting outside it the last few weeks also.
crazygray23
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Previous

Return to Random Distractions