Christmas time

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Christmas time

Postby flyman » Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:32 pm

Merry Christmas everybody,i've enjoyed my short time on here and i hope it continues in 2010.All the best

Never Get Out Of The Boat
flyman
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby flyman » Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:33 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:I decided to have some cocktails professionally mixed.

I bet there were a few Cock tales at that gathering eh? Josef! it was the beef curtains i was worried about..........
Never Get Out Of The Boat
flyman
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nuttytigger » Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:45 pm

is it bad to admit i had the same drawers as the honey in the purple top?
nuttytigger
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Boxer6 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:50 pm

Doorstop wrote: ....... if anyone has any turkey left over I may well be in dire need.

I'd be happy to oblige DS - but we're having venison this year, and there's barely enough for the two of us!! (Have you seen the price of rifle bullets these days?)

Have a good one anyway, everybody!! :D
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Boxer6
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dimairt » Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:28 pm

Nollaig Chridheal !

Eddy
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:13 pm

Doorstop wrote:Festive cheer all round good people .. if anyone has any turkey left over I may well be in dire need.

Well, it's all over in the J household (continentals in the family), and we've probably got enough left for six slice of plain bread's worth of sandwiches, if you're desperate.

Plus we never quite got round to making dessert after the post-dinner walk/snowball fight through Dumbreck and Kinning Park, so there'll be caramelised pear and blueberry with icecream too. :)

Merry Christmas and all that, folks.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vinegar Tom » Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:43 pm

Merry Christmas Folks !

Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:01 am

nuttytigger wrote:is it bad to admit i had the same drawers as the honey in the purple top?

Only if you wore them after rather than before her.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby poodiecat » Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:39 am

It's just a ride.
poodiecat
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:54 am

Boxer6 wrote:
Doorstop wrote: ....... if anyone has any turkey left over I may well be in dire need.

I'd be happy to oblige DS - but we're having venison this year, and there's barely enough for the two of us!! (Have you seen the price of rifle bullets these days?)

::):

Josef wrote:
Doorstop wrote:Festive cheer all round good people .. if anyone has any turkey left over I may well be in dire need.

Well, it's all over in the J household (continentals in the family)

Damn Johnny foreigners .. spoiling my emergency Christmas with their damn heathen timing. They did much the same in two world wars don't you know. :wink:

I'm pretty sure my freezer contents will see me well into January actually guys .. it's just a bit of a pain not having access to the bank till the 29th is all.

Still, thank you both very much for the kind offers and a Merry Old Christmas to everyone - one and bally all.

Have a nice one people, and remember - be nice to each other ... even to 'shoots his bolt early' Johnny Foreigner. :wink:
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ninatoo » Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:13 am

Merry Christmas to everyone!

:mrgreen:
ninatoo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:38 am

Merry Christmas everyone!

Jenny wren for lunch. I'll give you a shout if there are any leftovers, Doorstop :D
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:21 am

Doorstop wrote:Damn Johnny foreigners .. spoiling my emergency Christmas with their damn heathen timing. They did much the same in two world wars don't you know. :wink:

It's not that often that I take issue with Wikipedia, but

While most countries celebrate Christmas on December 25 each year, some eastern national churches, including those of Russia, Georgia, Egypt, Armenia, Ukraine, Macedonia and Serbia celebrate on January 7.

is just bollocks. Actually, the 7th of January exception quoted is disingenuous, because that's the 25th of December in the Julian calendar.

With the exception of the English-speaking countries, most of the Christian countries celebrate Christmas on either the 24th or the 6th.

The remainder of the world has simply bowed to Imperialism in recent years, as per the below. France, in particular (where the regions still cling to the original rather then the Official date), should be ashamed of themselves.

Christmas in Scotland was traditionally observed very quietly, because the Church of Scotland - a Presbyterian Church - never placed any great emphasis on the Christmas festival, for various reasons. Hogmanay is traditionally the largest celebration in Scotland, because Christmas Day was a normal working day in Scotland until the 1960s and even into the 1970s in some areas. The gift-giving, public holidays and feasting associated with mid-winter were held between the 31 December and 2 January rather than between 24 December and 26 December. However, since the 1980s, and the fading of the Church's influence as well as influences from outside Scotland due to immigration and the media, Christmas and related festivities are now on a par with Hogmanay and "Ne'erday".

Indeed. Not that I'm defending the CoS's influence. But the fact of the matter remains. It's a recent commercial thing. Christmas is for weans. New Year is for grownups.

See you all on the walk on the 2nd. :D
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:33 am

None of this (apart from the Christmas Day being a normal working day until relatively recently) I knew until this morning.

Very interesting indeed.

Logged in the bank of 'stuff'.
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby edward carolan » Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:12 pm

Merry Christmas to all HGer's and a Bah Humbug to all of that bent.
All the best
edward carolan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Random Distractions