Computer Problems.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Computer Problems.

Postby yoker brian » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:23 pm

i know whats wrong with your computer - the following keys dont work COMMA, FULL STOP and RETURN/ENTER
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:11 pm

::):

"What's the comma with the three dots above it?"

Honestly, a colleague of mine from years ago came back from the sales office with this quote. We used to keep an anthology of these but sadly it is now lost to history.
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby jodieohdoh » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:41 pm

yoker brian wrote:i know whats wrong with your computer - the following keys dont work COMMA, FULL STOP and RETURN/ENTER

You might want to send yours in while you're at it. Your apostrophe's defective.

DEXTERED :D
jodieohdoh
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:38 pm

jodieohdoh wrote:
yoker brian wrote:i know whats wrong with your computer - the following keys dont work COMMA, FULL STOP and RETURN/ENTER

You might want to send yours in while you're at it. Your apostrophe's defective.

DEXTERED :D

:oops:
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:31 am

I've spent the last six months moving over to Linux. There's still the question of what to do about older software that I rely on that runs on Windows. I decided to migrate to Linux because of Windows 7 lacking a convincing native backup application. I'm still running a couple of machines wth XP for their web servers. Win 7 Pro has a later version of IIS which is horribly complicated in comparison. Another reason to be looking at Linux.

I was resigned to having my new desktop multi-boot, Win XP, Win 7 and Linux until I stumbled on VirtualBox https://www.virtualbox.org/ and I've been playing with it the last few days. Very useful it is too, being able to run XP within Linux. I've also tested the new Windows 8 preview using it. There are various versions for the various operating systems and you can run Linux in Windows 7 if you want to. It's part of the reason I've been a bit quiet lately.
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Boxer6 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:27 pm

BrigitDoon wrote:I've spent the last six months moving over to Linux. There's still the question of what to do about older software that I rely on that runs on Windows. I decided to migrate to Linux because of Windows 7 lacking a convincing native backup application. I'm still running a couple of machines wth XP for their web servers. Win 7 Pro has a later version of IIS which is horribly complicated in comparison. Another reason to be looking at Linux.

I was resigned to having my new desktop multi-boot, Win XP, Win 7 and Linux until I stumbled on VirtualBox https://www.virtualbox.org/ and I've been playing with it the last few days. Very useful it is too, being able to run XP within Linux. I've also tested the new Windows 8 preview using it. There are various versions for the various operating systems and you can run Linux in Windows 7 if you want to. It's part of the reason I've been a bit quiet lately.

You lost me after the third sentence Brigit! :oops: 8O
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Boxer6
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:24 pm

That reminds me; is Sherlock on later? :)
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:18 pm

Any experts who've used google's webmaster tools?

I have a friend who has a website and this website became so popular that it got it's fair share of trolls who went on to make their own website which shared the same name in the title bar one word change.
However when you google my friends website the trolls website is the first sub link under the title however when you google the trolls website there's no sign of any link to my friends :evil:
So my friend wants rid of the trolls sub link however according to Fairy Google it can't be deleted however it can be demoted - anyone know what I'm on about and can they help?
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:56 am

Recommendations for a printer scanner copier. More scanning than printing probably. My HP psc 2115 has died without ever sending a fax.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:02 am

Bridie wrote:Any experts who've used google's webmaster tools?

I have a friend who has a website and this website became so popular that it got it's fair share of trolls who went on to make their own website which shared the same name in the title bar one word change.
However when you google my friends website the trolls website is the first sub link under the title however when you google the trolls website there's no sign of any link to my friends :evil:
So my friend wants rid of the trolls sub link however according to Fairy Google it can't be deleted however it can be demoted - anyone know what I'm on about and can they help?

I know what you're on about but I'm not sure what to do about it. I had Google's webmaster tools foisted on me by an ex-client and since they've gone, I don't play with it any longer. You really need to speak to someone who's familiar with search engine optimisation (SEO). There are certain things you can do to improve your listing rank and I remember havng a go at this some years ago by googling "google search algorithm" or something like that. Put simply, if you know what the googlebot looks for in web pages and how it determines in what order it will list its results, you can change your web pages to suit.

Talking of Google, I've had notification that they're changing the terms and conditions for all their products. I've been unhappy since they bought up YouTube and found that I'm logged into it whether I like it or not once I've logged into Gmail. Then there's Google+ and I've noticed their search engine is not what it used to be. I'm using Bing a bit more these days and I have bookmarked DuckDuckGo.

I'm looking at using one of my hosting providers for email or I might even do it myself.
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:07 am

Dexter St. Clair wrote:Recommendations for a printer scanner copier. More scanning than printing probably. My HP psc 2115 has died without ever sending a fax.

That's quite an old machine. I have an HP F380, it dates to 2007 and doesn't have a fax component. It still works, so I'd suggest going with whatever is the latest version. Alternatively, I have a Canon LiDE 210 Scanner which is quick (I bought it because the HP is slow). I think it was about 60 or 70 pounds in PC World.
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:32 pm

Free 2gig password protected memory key?

http://www.getsafestick.com/
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby the researcher » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:49 pm

there was a tv advert advertising hp printer copier scanners for £39 but that may have been the price if you buy
a new laptop
try scot ads might be something there worth having i got an hp d2460 printer for £20 at a stall at the glamis classic car show it was a risk i know but it was ok needed new catridges thats was all and had to get the driver for it offline other than that its ok ive had it for two years now the catridges are a bit pricey but i got refill packs and refill the cartridges myself
are you sure the printer you have has actually expired it may just be the fuse in the plug though am assuming you have already changed the fuse
THE FLYING SCOT MADE BY RATTRAYS IN GLASGOW THE BEST BICYCLE EVER MADE
the researcher
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby banjo » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:56 pm

doorstop let me know if you got my pm.sometime problems trying to send them. :cry:
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:35 pm

I didn't mate .. I'll PM you email details.
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Random Distractions