Computer Problems.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Computer Problems.

Postby VGSmiles » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:55 pm

Typing this from a laptop with 2 bad keys and bad CMOS battery that sets it back to 1988 every time I boot -
kick his sorry arse someplace nice.
Had to have a power supply replaced once and it fucked up my monitor big time. Too much voltage. "Oh I tried it out and it worked just fine." Enter ebay and google. It's no rocket science. No guarantee either but you'll fuck up cheaper.
VGSmiles
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby HelenD » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:41 pm

"DISK FAILURE IS IMMINENT"

8O
They boil them for 20 of their Earth minutes
HelenD
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:43 pm

VGSmiles wrote:Typing this from a laptop with 2 bad keys and bad CMOS battery that sets it back to 1988 every time I boot -
kick his sorry arse someplace nice.
Had to have a power supply replaced once and it fucked up my monitor big time. Too much voltage. "Oh I tried it out and it worked just fine." Enter ebay and google. It's no rocket science. No guarantee either but you'll fuck up cheaper.

I know! well I do now :D

I was thinking I'd do a course on computer fixing.
Don't you need hands on tutorship plus someone's else's equipment to mess about on ..so to speak?
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HelenD » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:20 am

Fixing desktop PCs is a doddle. Like playing with Lego with the bonus that what you've made does loads of stuff.

You could easily blag some old systems from one of those freecycle sites.

Haynes do a couple of useful manuals on the subject:

Build Your Own Computer (Kyle McRae + Gary Marshall)
Haynes Computer Manual (Kyle McRae)
They boil them for 20 of their Earth minutes
HelenD
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sharon » Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:31 pm

VGSmiles wrote:No guarantee either but you'll fuck up cheaper.

Comment of the day :D well yesterday, but who's counting!
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby VGSmiles » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:14 pm

:D Sharon!
Bridie wrote: Don't you need hands on tutorship plus someone's else's equipment to mess about on ..so to speak?

Yeah well... had a flatmate at the time who was both skilled and convincing. Messing with my own equipment still was the equivalent of a rollercoaster ride, great dose of adrenalin. But desktops really aren't bad, laptops are more tricky. In any case be careful with the mainboard, make sure you're grounded (like touch the radiator) (just saying that so you don't sue me) but exchanging hard drives really should be foolproof.
To throw in some more free advice, grog (rum mixed with hot water together with sugar and lemon juice) spilled over a laptop is not really a good idea :oops:
VGSmiles
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:50 pm

VGSmiles, you can have no idea how much I admire: a) your precise knowledge of grog, and b) your having spilt some over a laptop.
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby The Egg Man » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:53 am

Anyone else have yahoo mail problems on their laptop?

I can't get the yahoo mail page to load on my laptop yet it loads, sends and receives mail perfectly on my iPhone.

Any thoughts?
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby sandabound » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:58 pm

The Egg Man wrote:Anyone else have yahoo mail problems on their laptop?

I can't get the yahoo mail page to load on my laptop yet it loads, sends and receives mail perfectly on my iPhone.

Any thoughts?

My Yahoo mail has gone all to pot too, takes ages to open & when you click on the email you want to read the page changes to every mail from that person or company also when logging off it goes to another page & I need to log off from there :x
sandabound
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:46 pm

The Egg Man wrote:Anyone else have yahoo mail problems on their laptop?

Any thoughts?

OK. It transpires you can be logged out on the 'yahoo logs you out every so often and makes you log in again' on a pc or laptop whilst still being logged in on a smartphone - getting and sending mails.

If, as I did, you have the yahoo mail page bookmarked on the laptop it continues to try to load without success. Go to yahoo homepage and log in properly there and all should be well.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:46 pm

Here's an odd one. I dismantled my setup last night to give the computer platform a clean up before beginning to use the new laptop cooling pad.

Unplugged everything. Cleaned up, good dusting required etc. Cleaned out the dust vents in the laptop, gave it a blow through and a vacuum. Plugged everything back in using the new cooling pad. Everything fine, until I plugged the Samsung S4 phone in via USB.

Windows refuses to see it or update the drivers .. nothing. Everything fails. Removing the drivers completely from device manager and allowing plug-n-play to sort it - nada. Manually collecting the required drivers from the Samsung site and installing them the hard way - nada. Everything - nada.

Gave up and decided not to let it bother me and just manually add music etc to the phones SD card if needed.

Anyway, I decided to do a couple of CPU stress tests to see how much more effective the new cooling pad was. Ran RealTemp to get a before temp, then after a wee while unplugged the usb leading to the cooling pad to see the temp rise.

Lo and behold, plug and play kicks in and successfully installs all the Samsung drivers! Windows explorer sees the phone as both an MTP and PTP device with zero issues.

Plug the cooling pad back in and the Samsung disappears from the My Computer explorer window as if the drivers have been switched off. Unplug it again and it immediately reappears.

I'm not asking for a fix as I've gone back to using the old cooling pad - just wondering if anyone's heard of anything like it happening to anyone else.

PS: The new cooling pad has a small I/O circuit board to feed the two extra USB ports it provides - no reason why that should be an issue, but something obviously is
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby War Baby » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:49 pm

I use Trusteer and I think it is good, but I still worry about security. My browser used to be Tesco but they were trying to switch their customers to Talk Talk and I decided to go elsewhere because of the Talk Talk security scare a while ago. While I was with Tesco, they supplied F-Secure free. I liked it and wondered if it was sensible to buy it now that I am with another browser.

I would feel better with two Security companies protecting my computer. Do other computer users have two security systems protecting them or is this just bonkers? I would like to get F-Secure. It wouldn't cause me any problems to have Trusteer and F-Secure at the same time, would it?
War Baby
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Previous

Return to Random Distractions