Computer Problems.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Computer Problems.

Postby kirkyguy » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:23 pm

MY pc has started saying this on booting up, USB OVER CURRENT STATUS DETECTED computer will shut down in 15 seconds then it closes down
any suggestions please cheers
kirkyguy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Josef » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:31 pm

Well, it cerainly seems to be a common enough error, anway.

All of the half dozen or so threads that I looked at are motherboard-related, and all but three responses to those threads involve getting the screwdriver out (usually because the pcs were home builds). Sorry.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby kirkyguy » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:26 pm

Cheers Josef...I managed to take pc out of case and unplugged front USB ports and it seems to have sorted it,will just have to use rear ports from now on thanks.
kirkyguy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby engineer » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:46 pm

Doorstop wrote:For the file-sharers out there:

You should be adding 193.104.22.0/24 and 89.149.236.46 to your firewall list as the 'Adobe 0-Day in the wild' seems to have raised it's ugly head again.

Infected and unsolicited PDF files are downloaded and auto-open releasing nasties .. disabling your PDF reader plugins until the 12th (which is the quickest Adobe seem to be able to arrange a workaround apparently) might be prudent at present.

Source: IsoHunt front page and isc.sans.org

is this for adobe only? i binned acrobat a while ago for foxit reader, what a difference.
engineer
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby engineer » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:19 pm

engineer wrote:
cell wrote:
engineer wrote:ive got the nokia sports tracker on my 5800. keeps track of you by gps, and when you upload to the tracker site you get a nice wee google map of where you went, with speed distance calories etc.
cant knock it for free

Forgive my ignorance here, but do you have to be online for the gps to work? I've got a 5800 and when I select maps(GPS?) it says "connection to network positioning server required. Costs may be incurred depending on network provider" I'm with Vodaphone on a basic air time contract, will I get charged?

when you switch the gps on a network connection will supposedly make the location fix quicker (AGPS i think its called) but you dont need to do it. when i start maps im asked 'go online now' which i decline.
maps starts up, and you need to wait on the gps fixing your location. can take a bit of time too. go to options>tools>settings>internet to set whether it connects automatically or not.

google maps on the 5800 DOES need a data connection, i always use wifi for this. it can get your rough location by working out where the telephone line is. you can get directions and stuff just like on your PC, pretty sure nokia maps doesnt do that unless you've bought a licence

and sports tracker only needs a data connection to upload your route when you're finished, again i use wifi

if you've a nokia 5800 (or one of 9 other nokias) you can now get free navigation.
http://maps.nokia.com/explore-services/ovi-maps/ovi-maps-main
engineer
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dave » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:46 pm

Right I have an issue with a laptop of mines. Specifically a Packard Bell EasyNote MH36. The wireless card seems to disconnect all the time requiring me to enter the device manager and restarting it. I have taken it to a PC guy who stated the issue was 'third party software' but I only have Office installed along side the PB prebundled pish. Is anyone familiar with this. The laptop runs on Vista and it seems to work fine in safe mode.
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crazygray23 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:10 pm

not computer problems i know but is anyone whos on sky broadband having connection issues? my connection has gone down and i cant find a service status checker or similar
crazygray23
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dave » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:12 pm

crazygray23 wrote:i cant find a service status checker or similar

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/tools/exchangechecker.php
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:43 pm

Web Hosting Recommendations

I'm looking around for a web hosting provider with better customer support than the one I'm with. I'd appreciate a control panel that's a bit more than Mickey Mouse too.

Still, the up-time has been exemplary and they don't charge the earth, so I might be asking a bit much.

Also, I'm wondering how to set up one of my machines as a Linux web server and make it visible through my BT Home Hub. I need to play with something called a DMZ, I think.
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dave » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:04 pm

I use dream hosting, I'm not sure what you mean by more than Mickey Mouse but you would be welcome to have a look at the cPanel, the prices are reasonable. I had to mess with DMZ in the past and I can't remember why, IRC rings a bell but I couldn't be sure.

While I'm on, is it possible for Microsoft Office to bump wireless on a laptop. Seems after a factory reset my laptop works up to the point I want to fire up an Office App, then wireless connectivity is intermittent. I should note that wireless runs without fail in safe mode.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby poodiecat » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:07 pm

BrigitDoon wrote:Web Hosting Recommendations

I'm looking around for a web hosting provider with better customer support than the one I'm with. I'd appreciate a control panel that's a bit more than Mickey Mouse too.

Still, the up-time has been exemplary and they don't charge the earth, so I might be asking a bit much.

Also, I'm wondering how to set up one of my machines as a Linux web server and make it visible through my BT Home Hub. I need to play with something called a DMZ, I think.

http://www.fast.co.uk anytime.
It's just a ride.
poodiecat
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby John » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:37 pm

DMZ = demilitarized zone. It is a partitioned area of your network you use to host services you present to the outside world which is untrusted. It protects you inside machines from being compromised if your DMZ machine is compromised.
'It's a sad day for capitalism when a man can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park'
John
-
-

Postby BrigitDoon » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:20 am

Thanks John. That should keep me out of mischief for a week, figuring how to implement it.
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:21 am

I was looking up those hosting providers and found this:

http://www.web-hosting-top.com/web-host ... -target/uk
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lone Groover » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:51 am

I sent an e mail (hotmail ) with an attachment to a mate the other day. He says he has now recieved upwards of thirty copies of this e mail and the file sizes are clogging him up. Any one have a suggestion on the cause, but more imprtantly, the resolution.
All I could think of was to delete it from the sent box..... bit lame really ! ! !
"Work hard, Rock Hard, Eat hard, Sleep hard, Grow big, Wear glasses if you need 'em"
Flickr photos - If you can stand them !
www.flickr.com/photos/davetrott/
Lone Groover
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Random Distractions