Boredom Thread: What stresses you out / pet hate.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby My Kitten » Sun Jun 06, 2004 2:14 pm

scotia47 wrote:GET A F***ING ROOM!!! I FIGURED OUT LONG AGO THAT I'M NOT WANTED BY THE OPPOSITE SEX. I DON'T NEED TO HAVE IT CONSTANTLY RAMMED IN MY FACE EVERY TIME I HAVE THE NERVE TO GO OUT THE HOUSE. SAVE IT FOR WHEN YOU'RE IN PRIVATE OR GO TO HELL!!!!!

I'm glad I got that off my chest. :D

I had that last night, was out having our dinner in a cheap, crap restaurant and there was a couple down each others throats! FFS get a room i was heard to moan. We left as soon as we could as it was so off putting.
два сталкиваются
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby purplegrum » Mon Jun 07, 2004 6:07 pm

People who don't use indicators at roundabouts expecting my mind reading skills to work out what way they're gonna go... damn does my head in so much!
purplegrum
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby turbozutek » Mon Jun 07, 2004 6:16 pm

Purple,

Could not have said it better myself.

Chris...
turbozutek
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby duncan » Mon Jun 07, 2004 7:01 pm

purplegrum wrote:People who don't use indicators at roundabouts expecting my mind reading skills to work out what way they're gonna go... damn does my head in so much!

in a similar vein, cars that pull out in front of me at roundabouts and junctions when i have right of way. can be a bit disconcerting when you're on a bike and a tonne of metal comes in your direction without any indication that the driver has seen you or is going to stop before either he hits you or you hit him. nearly happened to me today...
duncan
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:28 pm

Echoing a point seen elsewhere.

I've been obliged to go back to dialup for a few weeks and now appreciate and sympathise with anyone who is having to put up with inconsiderate posts of inline poics that are more than about 500 pixels wide.

They take ages to load AND screw up your browser as you have to scroll horizontally to see them, AND THEN all the text on posts on the same page go full width, so you can't see that without doing a horizontal scroll either.

Maybe time to do an advisory thread and ask posters to size appropriately. Big post doesn't make even make the pic any better :(

(Ahhh... that's better :) )
Last edited by Apollo on Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:37 pm

Apollo wrote:Echoing a point seen elsewhere.

I've been obliged to go back to dialup for a few weeks and now appreciate and sympathise with anyone who is having to put up with inconsiderate posts of inline poics that are more than about 500 pixels wide.

They take ages to load AND screw up your browser as you have to scroll horizontally to see them, AND THEN all the text on posts on the same page go full width, so you can't see that without doing a horizontal scroll either.

Maybe time to do an aadvisory thread and ask posters to size appropriatley. Big post doesn't make even make the pic any better :(

(Ahhh... that's better :) )

spot on Apollo. :)

-Fossil-
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby AMcD » Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:34 pm

Yeah I take yer point.
What about panoramas though? They would be a bit pointless at anything less than 500px. Should we be linking to bigger pictures instead?
What does posting protocol and etiquette suggest?
Allan
AMcD
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DMcNay » Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:37 pm

Linking to bigger pictures is probably the best idea.
Too few hours in the day.
DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:41 pm

Keep the pictures small enough for dial up.

Doc AMCD think your right about linking to the bigger pictures

-Fossil-
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby purplegrum » Tue Jun 08, 2004 3:03 pm

So what would be a suitable file size for a JPEG? 50K?
purplegrum
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby duncan » Tue Jun 08, 2004 4:25 pm

Personally I'd say under 100K is acceptable, although if you're posting a dozen at one time, maybe try and cut that down a bit. Trying to keep it under 50K I find either I have to compromise too much on quality or size.

Also image size, I almost never post anything greater than 640 pixels (with exceptions: panoramas), and generally 500 - 600 pixels seems plenty.
duncan
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sharon » Tue Jun 08, 2004 4:32 pm

what duncan said.

Also, if you are planning on posting alot of images, break them into a number of posts so they can flow to a second page. Helps keep thepages light.
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby purplegrum » Tue Jun 08, 2004 6:05 pm

duncan wrote:Also image size, I almost never post anything greater than 640 pixels (with exceptions: panoramas), and generally 500 - 600 pixels seems plenty.

I agree with you duncan, I hardly post anything wider than 640 keeps things nice and in-line.

I used to be a real advocate for keeping file sizes down for dial up users but I must admit I kind of forgot about that a bit when I got broadband :oops:
purplegrum
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby evilmiss » Wed Jun 09, 2004 9:05 pm

I loathe the following:

People who phone me and ask 'Do you have the extension for such n such', when I know that everyone in the building has access to an on-line telephone directory.

GP surgery receptionists who demand that you tell them why you need a doctor's appointment and want to know your illness.

Really tall people who muscle their way in front of me at gigs.

Neds, Goffs, Sengas, moshers, skaters, hairies et al.

conceited people

Sales assistants who ignore me when I go into a shop, or even worse - those who scowl.

And an evil biatch that I work with who is the spit of Jimmy Krankie. She is satan reborn.

People who adopt a different personality when around other people, ie trying to impress or 'doing a Billy Connolly' by adopting a Kelvinside accent....feck, feckity, feck....

This isn't the end....

:)
Don't dream it. Be it.
evilmiss
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby turbozutek » Wed Jun 09, 2004 9:14 pm

So not much then EvilMiss ???

::):

Couldn't agree more about the adaptive personality type; I have a friend who even goes so far as to change accent, manorism, favourite flavour of ice cream etc etc when in differing company.

Reminds me of personalised profiles on a computer - you know, you login and it configures itself to the way YOU like it.

Not good in a person though!!

:roll:

Chris...
turbozutek
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Random Distractions