Boredom Thread: What stresses you out / pet hate.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby nuttytigger » Mon Jul 19, 2004 9:51 pm

my pet hate is:

people who say they'll contact you then never do; i.e old friends, potential employers

the ppl that say, we need to go for a drink,then never do!!!
nuttytigger
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby purplegrum » Mon Jul 19, 2004 10:22 pm

New pet hate from today is those bloody stupid automated ticket barriers at Queen Street - they're a pain in the backside.

I was thinking tho - surely for health and safety they're a huge question-mark if you had to evacuate passengers quickly from trains and/or platforms? I was once standing waiting for a train home from Central and this guy who was a H&S inspector was saying that they had the flimsy rope barrier things at Central for health and safety since they could be moved quickly in an emergency. Hmmm.. that's a whole new topic tho :)
purplegrum
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby duncan » Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:00 am

purplegrum wrote:New pet hate from today is those bloody stupid automated ticket barriers at Queen Street - they're a pain in the backside.

agreed. they seem to cause a huge bottle-kneck, at least at rush hour. they're meant to be able to switch on/off which way round each barrier is, i.e if there are 500 people just getting off the train from Edinburgh, they could make most of them allow people to pass out through them, and reduce the amount of people trying to get onto the platforms at the same time. haven't yet seen them do this effectively though. i also have to go through the manually-operated one, with my bike. which also seems to be used by a lot of ticket-holding people for some reason (think season tickets etc which won't go through the automatic barrier). these are badly operated too imho. they have at least 2, but i've only ever seen 1 in operation for some reason.

in the event of some catastrophe, they can open the barriers fully, assuming the electrics are working and they don't faff things up, as they are wont to do.
duncan
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DMcNay » Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:03 am

duncan wrote:
purplegrum wrote:New pet hate from today is those bloody stupid automated ticket barriers at Queen Street - they're a pain in the backside.

agreed.

Someone told that these are in place at Queen St because it's owned by Scotrail, but not Central because it's owned by Railtrack.

Is this b0llocks or is there a grain of truth in it?
Too few hours in the day.
DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scotia47 » Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:54 pm

dr_lightning wrote:
duncan wrote:

agreed.

Someone told that these are in place at Queen St because it's owned by Scotrail, but not Central because it's owned by Railtrack.

Is this b0llocks or is there a grain of truth in it?

AFAIK, Network Rail own all main line stations in the UK, but they only manage the biggest ones themselves, letting the train companies take care of the rest. In Scotland, Glasgow Central and Edinburgh Waverley are managed by NR, Lockerbie and Dunbar by Virgin and GNER respectively (I think), and all others by ScotRail.

I can't think of any reason why Glasgow Central doesn't have barriers. Unlike Queen St and Haymarket, it's managed directly by Network Rail. However, so is Edinburgh Waverley and it has barriers. When they first mentioned ticket barriers, I was bamboozled as to how they managed to leave Scotland's busiest train station out of it. :?

As for my opinion of the barriers, I can understand why they put them in. They wouldn't be too much hassle if they WORKED PROPERLY. On several occaisions, I've had a perfectly legitimate ticket rejected by the barriers in Queen Street for no apparent reason, forcing me to use the manual gate. To be fair though, I was told one time that it was a fault with a ticket issuing machine that was causing problems with the barriers. Funnily enough, this has never happend to me in Edinburgh. 8O

Also, it would be nice if they told you which end of the ticket you're supposed to put in the slot, like they do with the Subway. (I keep forgetting :oops: )
Last edited by scotia47 on Tue Jul 20, 2004 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scotia47
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby purplegrum » Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:57 pm

I watched this woman yesterday put her ticket in the machine, it sucked it in and kept it but the barrier's didn't open - she looked really pi**ed off with the whole situation.

I'm sure I heard that they were considering installing the barriers at Central, although the entrances to the platforms are so narrow compared to Queen St. that perhaps it's not feasible.
purplegrum
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby duncan » Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:19 pm

now that i think about it, the ticket machines are a nuisance too. 3 terminals at Queen Street, 3 at Waverley. often at least one of these has an 'out of order' sign taped onto it. the one's in Edinburgh seem to always reject my Switch card, but it always works in Glasgow. Paying in paper money is a matter of luck, as it'll reject anything less than perfectly flat it seems.

I've now had to start going earlier to the station than before, just to deal with this. how does that make things quicker for me?
duncan
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:19 pm

duncan wrote:now that i think about it, the ticket machines are a nuisance too. 3 terminals at Queen Street, 3 at Waverley. often at least one of these has an 'out of order' sign taped onto it. the one's in Edinburgh seem to always reject my Switch card, but it always works in Glasgow. Paying in paper money is a matter of luck, as it'll reject anything less than perfectly flat it seems.

I've now had to start going earlier to the station than before, just to deal with this. how does that make things quicker for me?

I know how you feel, get outside of london and the ticket machines don't accept any cards, only money and no £2 coins accepted either. If you put in a note with the tiniest bit of a crinkle it either spits it out or eats it. Maidenhead station, located in M4 commuter belt, has two very old machines and one is always out of order.

I work in Bourne End which has one train an hour so if you miss that one you're fooked. A couple of weeks ago I had no change went in to queue and was asked by one of the useless attendants who seem to hang about why I wasnt using the machine, I said I had no change, why dont you buy something from the shop he said ????!!! Because I had to queue and the attendants were too busy grabbing penalty fares to actually serve anyone I missed the one train that would get me to work at 9am (actually it doesnt but thats another of my rants) and had to fork out £9 for a taxi as I was late. I'm ashamed to say a few expletives left my mouth that morning.

Yes, Mr Darling public transport works!
два сталкиваются
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby purplegrum » Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:33 pm

Don't worry emmar you're not alone - the railways always f*ck me too when I need to get somewhere.

Guaranteed a day I have an exam at Uni the train is late or cancelled - I can almost put money on it now.
purplegrum
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby lonewooolf » Thu Jul 22, 2004 5:47 pm

DickyHart wrote:supervisors who will crap on anybody to get ahead, they don't deserve the job they are in ,and their social skills are virtually nil, and believe me in my job social skills are a basic requirement.

RANT OVER :evil:

That pretty much sums it up for me too.
:evil:
Follow The White Rabbit
Keep An Open Mind
lonewooolf
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby kn0wledge » Thu Jul 22, 2004 6:47 pm

My pet hate is yer maw.
Eat a ham for Jesus.
kn0wledge
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DMcNay » Thu Jul 22, 2004 6:48 pm

kn0wledge wrote:My pet hate is yer maw.

Whit?
Too few hours in the day.
DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby YokerBloke » Thu Jul 22, 2004 9:05 pm

Here's mine...

Red f*cking Bull.
You want to be a social leper, drink this crap, and then breathe out... stinks the WHOLE room (ususally a bus) out. That stuff is VILE!!!!

F*ckwits who think it's cool to smoke their hash or whatever on a busy bus at rush hour.

Anybody who dosn't answer their bloody mobile phone quickly on a bus, then that tune is in your head the rest of the journey...

Bus drivers who are early so they make YOU late by standing at a bus stop for 10 mins. making everyone on the bus look like twats to anyone outside waiting on other buses.

there's more I'm sure ...
http://www.tracertong.co.uk
YokerBloke
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Fri Jul 23, 2004 5:02 pm

Picked up a new one this week:

All the people on Bute who are now buying registrations that end 8 UTE because they think it looks like B UTE

I'm sorry, IT DOESN'T, and after you've looked at them for a day with all the unrelated prefixes, all you can see is "eight YUTE"

£400 wasted :(

(Go to AYR and see how it should be be done)
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sharon » Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:16 pm

Did anyone mention midges? (miggys?)

They take a beautiful place and do their damnedest to stop you from just enjoying it :evil:
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Random Distractions