random question

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: random question

Postby Dot » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:52 pm

Does anyone else notice that some bottles of olive oil have white sediment stuff at the bottom and some don't?
Think I read somewhere that ones with sediment are of a lesser quality but perhaps you have other theories.
Dot
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:36 am

I guess it depends on the personal hygine of the swarthy skinned buxom lassies who tramp the olives.

On the other foot, you could always check the sell by dates, Dot.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:45 am

Miss Loren had a sell by date? Surely not.
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hungryjoe » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:33 am

Josef wrote:What qualifies as an official transalator?

Cost.
Around ten years ago it cost about 160 quid to have a birth certificate and a marriage certificate Translated from German.
I've since discovered that a mate in Germany has a translation bureaux
Multi dinero, multi ficky fick, multi divorce.
hungryjoe
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:18 pm

cheers hj,got your pm.will get on to it ramorra.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hungryjoe » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:38 am

banjo wrote:cheers hj,got your pm.will get on to it ramorra.

I never thought to say - check that a foreign bureaux is acceptable. Accredited in Germany, doesn't necessarily mean accredited here.
Multi dinero, multi ficky fick, multi divorce.
hungryjoe
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:49 am

that did cross my mind hungryjoe .he may be able to advise as to a reputable contact here though.too serious a project to get scammed on.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:28 am

There was piece on the news last night about Argyll Arcade. It used to be a timber yard, which, naturally, had gone on fire. How far back does this tradition go?
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:22 pm

BrigitDoon wrote:There was piece on the news last night about Argyll Arcade. It used to be a timber yard, which, naturally, had gone on fire. How far back does this tradition go?

Good question if I'm getting the drift correctly
Do you mean how long and why has Glasgow had a blazing past? 8O
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:55 pm

What a fantastic question. Were you happy with the answer you got?

Doorstop wrote:I've been watching a fair few astronomy documentaries on the "Dinosaurs and Hitler" section of Sky telly of late and I've been struck by a thought (I know, I know .. "was it lonely?", "did it hurt?", "I've often wondered how things germinate in a desert." etc etc etc .. heard them all before and you can't hurt my rotten feelings).

For some reason there are loads of programmes about stellar formations and the life cycle of stars, their birth, chemistry, gravitational effects, evolution, death of etc and it's become apparent that stars are formed from the coalescence of gases (predominately hydrogen) under gravity, right?

The gases collapse in until the density of hydrogen is such that the resulting heat and pressure forces the hydrogen atoms at the core together so tightly (ie the hydrogen hits a critical mass) that nuclear forces are overcome and two hydrogen atoms fuse together resulting in the formation of a helium atom and a burst of energy.

This in turn causes a cascade reaction in which the star ignites and the resulting shock wave blows away most of the material formed during accretion leaving the burning nuclear reaction at the centre which is the resulting star.

So far, so good.

My question is, given that if hydrogen is elemental and is therefore the same density throughout the universe and the critical mass required for hydrogen to fuse in the core of a protostar is a universal constant, why are stars formed in different sizes?

What I'm trying to say is if it takes a certain amount of hydrogen at a certain density/temperature/pressure to ignite and form the star proper how does a larger amount of hydrogen coalesce to form a larger star without igniting first at a smaller size when it hits critical mass?

Hmm?
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby crusty_bint » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:59 pm

BrigitDoon wrote:There was piece on the news last night about Argyll Arcade. It used to be a timber yard, which, naturally, had gone on fire. How far back does this tradition go?

It's a long held tradition, the most significant of which (that we have recorded) was that of 1652 and that destroyed a third of the city encompassing High St, Trongate, Gallowgate and part of Bidgegate.
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Doorstop » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:02 pm

crusty_bint wrote:What a fantastic question. Were you happy with the answer you got?

Doorstop wrote:I've been watching a fair few astronomy documentaries on the "Dinosaurs and Hitler" section of Sky telly of late and I've been struck by a thought (I know, I know .. "was it lonely?", "did it hurt?", "I've often wondered how things germinate in a desert." etc etc etc .. heard them all before and you can't hurt my rotten feelings).

For some reason there are loads of programmes about stellar formations and the life cycle of stars, their birth, chemistry, gravitational effects, evolution, death of etc and it's become apparent that stars are formed from the coalescence of gases (predominately hydrogen) under gravity, right?

The gases collapse in until the density of hydrogen is such that the resulting heat and pressure forces the hydrogen atoms at the core together so tightly (ie the hydrogen hits a critical mass) that nuclear forces are overcome and two hydrogen atoms fuse together resulting in the formation of a helium atom and a burst of energy.

This in turn causes a cascade reaction in which the star ignites and the resulting shock wave blows away most of the material formed during accretion leaving the burning nuclear reaction at the centre which is the resulting star.

So far, so good.

My question is, given that if hydrogen is elemental and is therefore the same density throughout the universe and the critical mass required for hydrogen to fuse in the core of a protostar is a universal constant, why are stars formed in different sizes?

What I'm trying to say is if it takes a certain amount of hydrogen at a certain density/temperature/pressure to ignite and form the star proper how does a larger amount of hydrogen coalesce to form a larger star without igniting first at a smaller size when it hits critical mass?

Hmm?

No, as it happens CB. But apparently I'm not the only one, a fair bit of trawling the internet shows that there's scientists out there with more brains than I'll ever have who are every bit as puzzled by the problem as I am.
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:29 pm

Well, all I can offer is my understanding of star formation in a non professional capacity...

You have more or less answered your own question by your description of the cascade that results in the fusion of super-dense hydrogen and the birth of a star. This process happens in large molecular clouds, or stellar nurseries, where the isolated example you give is happening multiples of times in different regions of the cloud. So the answer lies not in a variance of atomic weight of the elements of which individual stars are composed but in the wider effects of gravity acting upon the singular pockets of gases from which a star will form, the region of the stellar nursery in which the pocket is located, the stellar nursery as a whole, the other celestial bodies surrounding the nursery, the other celestial bodies in that region of the galaxy, and so on. What denotes the size of the star that forms is down to the availability and composition of materials needed and the effects of its neighbours, both localised and of a wider context.

Think bubbles, but that's another conversation again.
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Doorstop » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:37 pm

So basically, it's the pull of the other stars' gravitational fields on the protostar that determines it's size (other than the amounts of hydrogen involved) Much like a bubble's size in a foam being constricted or allowed freedom to expand by the bubbles (or lack of) in it's immediate vicinity?

That makes much more sense than anything I've found to read on the subject so far actually .. thanks for that. That lets me continue watching Mr Cox, Kaku and Filippenko and co. without scratching my head with unanswered internal questions.

For the time being anyway .. :D

Thanks again.
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:57 pm

Yes, but no, but yes. The amount of hydrogen (and other materials) available is undoubtedly important as the star has to be made of something and this availability will be dependent on the particular composition and star-forming history of a particular region of a stellar nursery. The history of that region encompasses the formation and failure of stars, and the proximity and effects of their co-existence. So like bubbles in fizz feeding off the co2 and being restricted in their size by the effects of other bubbles around them and the weight (or gravity) of the liquid they occupy, stars are similarly so in terms of the composition of their nurseries, the effects of other stars around them and the space (i.e. the universe) in which they occupy.

Questions are often better than answers.
crusty_bint
-
-

PreviousNext

Return to Random Distractions