Protected media

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Protected media

Postby glasgowken » Sun May 27, 2007 3:19 pm

Is there any way to sort out those protected wma files ?

I've bought a few songs, and a video, online (from the proper sellers) which had that protection.
It worked ok for a while, (although I didn't like the way it connected to the web to get the licence) but now I just get error messages, and a message saying the licence is not valid for my computer.
I would also like to record the video on to a DVD, but it doesn't work.

I've paid for this stuff, surely I should be able to choose where I play them ?
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Digital Rights Management is

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun May 27, 2007 4:50 pm

I play records and "unauthorised copying, hiring lending, public performance and broadcasting of this record is prohibited," Try get authorisation at the weekend when you've a disco to do.

Funnily enough the Apple defenders are always quiet on Digital Rights Management

I remember when

Under DRM you are hiring or borrowing the music.

http://www.dlib.org/dlib/june01/iannella/06iannella.html

EMI think sales might be better if there wasn't DRM and if I was paying money for downloads i'd want them at 320 rather than 128.
[url]
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/04/06 ... umvention/[/url]
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Digital Rights Management is

Postby Josef » Sun May 27, 2007 5:01 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:EMI think sales might be better if there wasn't DRM and if I was paying money for downloads i'd want them at 320 rather than 128.

Indeed.

Bit of a cheek to put the price up by a third, though, even if they have doubled up to 256 kbps.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby engineer » Sun May 27, 2007 5:27 pm

too bad allofmp3 appears to have gone tits up
i think its the only site that allows you to choose from low quality wma through high quality mp3 to even flac.
engineer
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crazygray23 » Thu May 31, 2007 6:49 pm

what i found out you can do with itunes files is burning them to a disc via itunes then ripping them removes any protection but its not practical doing it for one or two files
crazygray23
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Puro_pt » Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:36 am

if you use a CD RW it becomes a bit more practical doesn't it?
Regards

Hugo L.
Puro_pt
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Timchilli » Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:21 pm

I hired a car while mine was in the garage the other week, and the CD player swallowed my CD - which was a burned copy of an original I have in the house. Pricks at the hired car place said that this sort of thing is being introduced all over the show. Cocks.

Tim
»»» Timelapse : Glasgow «««

»»» A History of Scotstoun ««« (UPDATED: 26 June 2007)
Timchilli
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby scallopboy » Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:28 pm

Timchilli wrote:I hired a car while mine was in the garage the other week, and the CD player swallowed my CD - which was a burned copy of an original I have in the house. Pricks at the hired car place said that this sort of thing is being introduced all over the show. Cocks.

Tim

Pricks at the hired car place now have your CD and are sitting back and listening to it.
scallopboy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Protected media

Postby Graham » Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:31 pm

glasgowken wrote:Is there any way to sort out those protected wma files ?

I've bought a few songs, and a video, online (from the proper sellers) which had that protection.
It worked ok for a while, (although I didn't like the way it connected to the web to get the licence) but now I just get error messages, and a message saying the licence is not valid for my computer.
I would also like to record the video on to a DVD, but it doesn't work.

I've paid for this stuff, surely I should be able to choose where I play them ?

I don't know how these things are protected but if it is on time-expire basis you could try resetting your computer's date to, say, 1st June 2001 (which would be a Friday same as 2007) and see if it works. - I had s similar windows-related problem and that's what I did as a temporary measure until I sussed out how to cure it properly :wink:
I was banned for being homophobic.
Graham
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Puro_pt » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:46 pm

scallopboy wrote:
Timchilli wrote:I hired a car while mine was in the garage the other week, and the CD player swallowed my CD - which was a burned copy of an original I have in the house. Pricks at the hired car place said that this sort of thing is being introduced all over the show. Cocks.

Tim

Pricks at the hired car place now have your CD and are sitting back and listening to it.

hehehehe. ieap. BTW you have the legal right to make a copy of your bought cd, for backup purposes.
Regards

Hugo L.
Puro_pt
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby AlanM » Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:19 am

Puro_pt wrote:
scallopboy wrote:

Tim

hehehehe. ieap. BTW you have the legal right to make a copy of your bought cd, for backup purposes.

Actually, thats a myth - copyright law in the US allows for this but not UK law. Although copyright owners are not really going to be bothered if you have bought the CD and then ripped it for use on your MP3 player, but they will take notice if you share enough on the net.

I know someone who got a "cease and desist" letter from Sony, via their ISP, as they were sharing a couple of films.
Who needs a six pack....when you've got a keg!!!
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Puro_pt » Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:05 pm

AlanM wrote:
Puro_pt wrote:
scallopboy wrote:

Tim

Actually, thats a myth - copyright law in the US allows for this but not UK law. Although copyright owners are not really going to be bothered if you have bought the CD and then ripped it for use on your MP3 player, but they will take notice if you share enough on the net.

I know someone who got a "cease and desist" letter from Sony, via their ISP, as they were sharing a couple of films.

Portuguese law also allows that... you know E.U. and all that stuff... so this seemed to be one of those common laws wich are widepread in the E.U.

Hang on tight guys...
Regards

Hugo L.
Puro_pt
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby engineer » Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:47 pm

Wm recorder will record any streaming video onto your pc, audacity will handle audio no probs.
when you buy an mp3 player you may think that you've backed up your PC collection, but it can be difficult to get it back off.
i have a samsung player, and to get music back off is a real pain in the arse
engineer
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Digital Rights Management is

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:26 pm

Josef wrote:
Dexter St. Clair wrote:EMI think sales might be better if there wasn't DRM and if I was paying money for downloads i'd want them at 320 rather than 128.

Indeed.

Bit of a cheek to put the price up by a third, though, even if they have doubled up to 256 kbps.

and they can now track you down

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6711215.stm
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re:

Postby engineer » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:36 am

engineer wrote:Wm recorder will record any streaming video onto your pc, audacity will handle audio no probs.
when you buy an mp3 player you may think that you've backed up your PC collection, but it can be difficult to get it back off.
i have a samsung player, and to get music back off is a real pain in the arse

just noticed that the latest winamp can control my samsung player and also copy the contents to any pc.
think there is a winamp plugin for ipod to allow you to copy music back onto your pc
engineer
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Random Distractions