Scottish Election

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Poissons Ratio » Wed May 09, 2007 5:22 pm

Josef wrote:The 'Society of local authority lawyers' opinion may well have been somewhat predictable.

I would be rather upset if any inquiry resulted in the removal of STV (the voting system, anyway).

Had Labour won I suspect no such inquiry would be demanded, much less take place. I found the Daily Record's hysterical response to the scenario very funny!
The pen is mightier than the sword, and is considerably easier to write with.
Poissons Ratio
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby cumbo » Thu May 10, 2007 11:04 pm

I'm voting for the Zoo party next time ::): ::): ::):

cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby lynnski » Fri May 11, 2007 6:17 pm

dave2 wrote: I also think a huge example vote poster should have been on show with the X fro Parliament and 1-5 for council.

There was one in my polling station.

Schiehallion wrote:
rude_kid wrote:
edowds wrote:If folk are too thick to fill in a ballot paper then they don't deserve a vote !!!

And to think of the sacrifices made to secure universal suffrage Rubbed out in an instant by some webmong who overuses exclamation marks... :roll:

To be fair your use of the full stop is quite extravagant too.

It's not full stops, it's a 'pregnant pause'. Learn your grammar!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/skillswise/words/grammar/
lynnski
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Schiehallion » Fri May 11, 2007 6:58 pm

lynnski wrote:
dave2 wrote: I also think a huge example vote poster should have been on show with the X fro Parliament and 1-5 for council.

There was one in my polling station.

Schiehallion wrote:
rude_kid wrote:
edowds wrote:If folk are too thick to fill in a ballot paper then they don't deserve a vote !!!

And to think of the sacrifices made to secure universal suffrage Rubbed out in an instant by some webmong who overuses exclamation marks... :roll:

To be fair your use of the full stop is quite extravagant too.

It's not full stops, it's a 'pregnant pause'. Learn your grammar!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/skillswise/words/grammar/

I see no mention of a 'pregnant pause' in that link. Are you sure that's a proper grammatical term lynnski? You're not thinking of the ellipsis are you?
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Otis: another master of wit and repartee

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Fri May 11, 2007 7:12 pm

Otis wrote:Yeah i do but obviously miss-heard the prog but unlike you i dont try to belittle every one who makes a mistake,you my friend are an arse.

"And you need your ears cleaned " is a mild rebuke for a stupid post but if you're that sensitive I think maybe you should head for GlasgowGuide or you'll be leaving here in a huff when you really get involved in an exchange of invective.

BTW I do hope you are named after the young Ferry who also has little political knowledge and a big head.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Otis: another master of wit and repartee

Postby Otis » Fri May 11, 2007 7:53 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:
Otis wrote:Yeah i do but obviously miss-heard the prog but unlike you i dont try to belittle every one who makes a mistake,you my friend are an arse.

"And you need your ears cleaned " is a mild rebuke for a stupid post but if you're that sensitive I think maybe you should head for GlasgowGuide or you'll be leaving here in a huff when you really get involved in an exchange of invective.

BTW I do hope you are named after the young Ferry who also has little political knowledge and a big head.

Mild rebuke it was not nor was it a stupid post,you set out to belittle me in your reply maybe to make your self feel better,who knows?.

I misheard the broadcast as i was in the midst of writing reports,fielding calls & dealing with clients(multi-tasker i am not)..
For calling you an ARSE then i apologize...
Otis
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Fri May 11, 2007 9:00 pm

Is GlasgowGuide some sort of soft bastards paradise. Its always the place people are told to bugger off to? ::):
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Fri May 11, 2007 9:29 pm

see for yourself.

http://discuss.glasgowguide.co.uk/index.php?act=idx

I'm the day centre bully.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Fri May 11, 2007 9:32 pm

Vladimir wrote:Is GlasgowGuide some sort of soft bastards paradise. Its always the place people are told to bugger off to? ::):

Aye, but it's always Dex that tells them to bugger off there :wink: .
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Fri May 11, 2007 9:34 pm

I'd never post there, the place just LOOKS shit! ::):
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby lynnski » Mon May 14, 2007 5:31 pm

Hmmmmm...Schiehallion. I'm pretty sure there was a bit about it, but maybe not! Here is a linky:

http://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_boar ... s/349.html

As for ellipsis, you may be right! I've never heard it called that before though! Maybe pregnant pause is an old fashioned term for it. Linky:

http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/ ... lipsis.htm
lynnski
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby red_kola » Mon May 21, 2007 10:59 am

lynnski wrote:Hmmmmm...Schiehallion. I'm pretty sure there was a bit about it, but maybe not! Here is a linky:

http://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_boar ... s/349.html

As for ellipsis, you may be right! I've never heard it called that before though! Maybe pregnant pause is an old fashioned term for it. Linky:

http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/ ... lipsis.htm

I believe the correct term is Aposiopesis.

Aposiopesis (from Classical Greek, ἀποσιώπησις, "becoming silent") is a rhetorical device whereby the speaker or writer deliberately stops short and leaves something unexpressed, but yet obvious, to be supplied by the imagination, giving the impression that he is unwilling or unable to continue. It often portrays being overcome with passion (fear, anger, excitement) or modesty. The ellipsis or dash is used.
red_kola
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hazy » Thu May 31, 2007 6:56 pm

I watched the First Ministers questions today with our new democratically elected MPs. I was absolutely shocked that Tony Blair has so far ignored Alex Salmond. This is either extremly very petty or down right rude.
I await an answer from Labour HQ as to why they have taken this course of action but I wont hold my breath.
Thank you. And why not.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Scottish Election

Postby Mori » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:39 pm

BBC

Election costs reach almost £40m

The bill for last year's Scottish elections is more than double the previous one, with the cost reaching almost £40m.
SNP MSP Keith Brown said that in total the 2007 Holyrood and local government elections had cost £39.26m.
Mr Brown said almost £9m of the money spent on the 2007 polls had gone to DRS, the company which provided the electronic counting machines.
He said the cost of elections in 2003 had been £17.15m.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Scottish Election

Postby onyirtodd » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:03 pm

Mori wrote:BBC

Election costs reach almost £40m

The bill for last year's Scottish elections is more than double the previous one, with the cost reaching almost £40m.
SNP MSP Keith Brown said that in total the 2007 Holyrood and local government elections had cost £39.26m.
Mr Brown said almost £9m of the money spent on the 2007 polls had gone to DRS, the company which provided the electronic counting machines.
He said the cost of elections in 2003 had been £17.15m.

Aw that fuckin' money and they still got the wrang answer :evil:
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Previous

Return to Random Distractions