Ear Plugs Recommendations anyone?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Ear Plugs Recommendations anyone?

Postby urbanc » Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:45 pm

Hi I live in the city centre and it is becoming increasingly noisy at night, so was thinking about buying some earplug, I remember getting some before from boots and they really didn't do much. So been having a look round and the best I can see are some 3m ones here is the link http://tinyurl.com/y4tegg

Just wondered if anyone has a similar problem, and can recommend anything ear plug wise.

Ross
urbanc
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Smartalex » Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:16 pm

I tried wearing earplugs once during sleep while on nightshift and I woke up with the worst migraine ever. :x

It's not too bad noise wise out my way even if my bedroom does look pretty much at Duke Street, It's only noisy at around 11.30pm to 12.30am when the pubs shut and then again around 3.30am when the nightclub lot come home at the weekends.

Oh! and again at 5.00am when the breadman slams the metal shutter of the shop across the road, and also the flow of Police/Ambulance/Fire engines with their sirens blaring. :evil:

Apart from that it's usually quiet around here. :)
Smartalex
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Peekay » Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:21 pm

Have you tried muffling the noise with blinds behind your curtains or a heavy curtain liner or both. Just a thought!

PK
Peekay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mr moto » Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:29 pm

try a motorcycle shop ! as a long time biker i have been using earplugs for years now to block out wind and engine exhaust noise . try the hein gericke or bike sorce bike shop in great western road, they sell several different types , also you can get some earplugs custom made to fit your ear perfectly , but they tend to be a bit pricy .
mr moto
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:34 pm

The 3m plugs above are good, i've used them with power tools. You can get them in most DIY stores.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Ear Plugs Recommendations anyone?

Postby viceroy » Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:38 pm

urbanc wrote:Just wondered if anyone has a similar problem, and can recommend anything ear plug wise.

These are the best you can get. I used to buy them from a British distributor but they don't seem to have them anymore. This is their website anyway.

These earplugs are made with natural beeswax and are highly malleable, they are also comfortable to wear and very effective. The wax earplugs you get from Boots are quite hard and don't sit in the shell of the ear very well. I don't think they are made from natural way anyway and I never found them pleasant to use.

Any type of earplug which needs to be inserted into the ear canal itself should be avoided like the plague. I am thinking here for instance of the foam type which you roll between your fingers before shoving it in - it then expands and fills up the ear canal.

About 12 years ago I damaged the wax producing glands in my right ear while trying to insert such an earplug - this is very easily done. As a result I got a continuous build up of wax in that ear so that I had to visit the doctor every 6 months to get it syringed. This went on for years before I managed to get it under control. Even now I have to flush out my right ear twice a week with sodium bicarbonate eardrops to stop the wax building up again.

The American beeswax earplugs I use fit snugly into the shell of each ear. They are also slightly sticky so that they don't fall out, as used to happen with the Boots earpugs, although the adhesiveness wears off a bit through continual use. I have noisy neighbours [who doesn't these days?] and am sensitive to noise anyway so that my life would be a misery without them. Among the best things ever invented as far as I am concerned.

Hope this info is of use.
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby John » Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:00 pm

I like to use Etymotic ER20's. They don't shield all the noise but rather they reduce the volume evenly across all freqency bands. Good for loud concerts, clubs etc.

Etymotic are dog's doo dahs for this sort of kit.

http://www.etymotic.com/

W
'It's a sad day for capitalism when a man can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park'
John
-
-

Postby Vladimir » Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:08 pm

I found a few hundred in packets in an empty factory the other day, they never seem to stay in though....
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Blueboy » Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:39 pm

Vladimir wrote:I found a few hundred in packets in an empty factory the other day, they never seem to stay in though....

Are you sure they were ear plugs and not roll-up filters?
Blueboy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:09 pm

Plenty of UK links for suppliers, and advice on the RNID web site
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:33 pm

Oh they were earplugs! ::): I doubt the boxes would come with guys sticking filters into their ears...
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:47 pm

Blueboy wrote:
Vladimir wrote:I found a few hundred in packets in an empty factory the other day, they never seem to stay in though....

That would fit in with Bob Newhart's version of how Sir Walter Raleigh brought tobacco to England.

What's snuff?...
You take a pinch of tobacco, ha! ha! ha!...
And you shove it up your nose. ha! ha! ha!...
and it makes you sneeze? ha! ha! ha!...
Yeh, I imagine it would, Walt! Hey, Goldenrod seems to do it pretty well over here!
It has other uses though, huh?...
You can chew it!...
Or put it in a pipe!...
Or you can shred it up...
And put it in a piece of paper. ha! ha! ha!...
And roll it up. ha ha ha...
Don't tell me, Walt, don't tell me. ha! ha! ha! you stick it in your ear, right? ha! ha! ha!...
Oh! between your lips!...
Then what do you do, Walt? ha! ha! ha!...
You set fire to it! ha! ha! ha!...
Then what do you do, Walt?...
Ha! ha! ha! You inhale the smoke, huh! ha! ha! ha!...
You know, Walt... it seems you can stand in front of your own fireplace and have the same thing going for you!
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby urbanc » Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:33 pm

thanks for the advice
urbanc
Just settling in
Just settling in

Return to Random Distractions