The World Cup thread

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: The World Cup thread

Postby Glesga_Steve » Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:21 pm

The Paraguay v Spain game has been a bit disappointing so far so how about we decide the winner in a 'Would Ye?' (or rather, which one would ye first) sort of way...

Paraguay's Larissa Riquelme

versus

Spain's Eva Gonzalez
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:45 pm

It looks like Ms Riquelme's countrymen might be about to cause a huge upset 8O
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:46 pm

Glesga_Steve wrote:It looks like Ms Riquelme's countrymen might be about to cause a huge upset 8O

Bloody hell, I take it back... that's the first useful thing that Casillas has done in the whole tournament
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:46 pm

Glesga_Steve wrote:
Glesga_Steve wrote:It looks like Ms Riquelme's countrymen might be about to cause a huge upset 8O

Bloody hell, I take it back... that's the first useful thing that Casillas has done in the whole tournament

FFS... penalty to Spain now!!
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:47 pm

Glesga_Steve wrote:
Glesga_Steve wrote:

I don't believe it, the ref has ordered a retake!!
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:48 pm

Glesga_Steve wrote:
Glesga_Steve wrote:
Glesga_Steve wrote:

I don't believe it, the ref has ordered a retake!!

And the keeper has saved Alonso's retaken penalty. Talk about drama!!!
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:35 pm

Spain were a little fortunate to win that game, don't you think?

A very average performance by them - I don't think they've came close to the level they're capable of in any of the games they've played so far in this tournament. Without David Villa's goals, they would be out by now. As for Torres, that is one abject performance too many - he is clearly nowhere nearly fully fit and/or his confidence is shot (also, he looks like a wee boy with that haircut so maybe defenders don't feel as intimated by him). Del Bosque can't keep picking him on this form can he?

They will need to improve by some distance in the semi-final if they are to stand any chance of beating Germany. I'm not a betting man but I reckon the bookies will have the Germans down as the favourites to win the whole thing now.

Netherlands v Germany in the final by the looks of it.
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:52 am

I didn't have Germany down to beat Argentina, let alone 4-0. They made plenty of mistakes against England, but then they could afford to, I suppose. I thought Argentina would pull their wings off, but it turned out to be the other way 'round. Germany v Spain may not be a foregone conclusion.

I really enjoyed the pinball wizard last night. Which is the better comedy goal, that or the one where Ronaldo balanced the ball on the back of his neck before slotting it into the North Korean net?
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:21 pm

Paul the psychic octopus >> has predicted that Spain will beat Germany.

I predict Paul will be lunch on Thursday.
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:25 pm

Ah well the Spaniards go through to the finals tonight, Germany i thought might have done it originaly...but there ye go.... 1st time in world cup history Spain and Holland will meet in a major competition is what were told on MOD. :)
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MacotheIsles » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:29 pm

Yea verily, Paul the Psychic Octopus hath spoken. Such is his proven soothsaying veracity that there's surely no point in even playing the final, since once Paul has cast his runes the result is set in stone. If I was him I'd be very wary of accepting any delivery of octopus food from William Hill, et al.
MacotheIsles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Who are you supporting in the World Cup?

Postby Glesga_Steve » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:30 pm

Glesga_Steve wrote:I'm hoping that this will be the tournament that none of the previous victors triumphs in. For that to happen I think my hopes lie with either Spain or the Netherlands, or perhaps Portugal as a slightly longer shot.

Whatever happens, I'll be happy as long as England stick to form and go out on penalties (to Germany or Argentina hopefully, though not sure whether or not the draw has made that possible) in either the quarter or semi finals. Even earlier might be better, though the twisted part of me enjoys their repeated pains when it comes to the lottery of spot kicks :twisted:

Well my predictions might have been woeful but at least my two main wishes have both come true (well one true and one sort of true) :D
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:21 pm

Maybe if they throw a few more footballs on the pitch they'll stop kicking each other and we'll see some goals. :)

(HT in the final now, for future reference)
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby rabmania » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:13 pm

Pish. The 'slap that ****' thread should be full tonight. OH! And Robben falls over as a result of my thinking about him. :evil:
rabmania
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:49 pm

I was rooting for the Dutch (before the game at least) but the Spaniards were deserving winners.

I'm finding it hard to believe that the Dutch were sent out to be so cynical but, then again, I'm thinking they must have been or surely De Jong (and/or Van Bommel) would have been subbed far earlier. There's absolutely nothing wrong with trying to keep a game tight to negate a more talented opponent but a few of the tackles were ridiculous. How on earth was De Jong not sent off for that kick in Alonso's chest???

I'm disappointed in the Dutch - I expected better from them. They played well during the tournament without being anywhere near spectacular, though I guess you could say the same for Spain. I think the Dutch lack a top-class striker (or at least one who is in form as I think Huntelaar is a top-class striker on his day). Van Persie, Robben and Kuyt aren't strikers, they're forwards, which isn't the same thing.

I'm struggling to work out how Mark Van Bommel gets a game for the Netherlands (something to do with his father-in-law being the boss possibly?!?) never mind ever make it through a full 90 minutes. I was going to say he's a poor man's Roy Keane but that would be giving him far too much credit.

I understand Howard Webb not wanting to send players off too harshly but there has to be a sensible limit to a referee's level of tolerance - it seemed that Webb was going out of his way to keep (Dutch) players on the park for most of the game. Having said that, if he had flashed a few more yellow cards when they were (arguably) deserved then the match would have been reduced to a farce beyond 1990 proportions (Monzon and TheOtherArgy anyone?) and you don't want that to happen at football's pinnacle event (not that that's a legitimate excuse for avoiding sending players off).

On the subject of strikers, I have to say I don't think I'm a fan of the way football seems to have been going over recent seasons with the various '1 up front' formations. Out-and-out strikers seem to be getting (largely) cast to the side as they don't suit the single frontman role. I mean Spain moved their most prolific striker to the wing in most games to suit this style (though he still scored 5 goals so, hey, what do I know?).
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Random Distractions