The World Cup thread

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: The World Cup thread

Postby BrigitDoon » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:42 am

scottland wrote:I think we have seen the eventual winners in tonights match. Have the vulavongs. or whatever they are called. been silenced?

(i) I agree.
(ii) No, they're still making a racket (Denmark v Holland)
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:24 pm

http://www.banvuvuzela.com/

Site is currently down for maintenance...please try again soon.

Well I never :D
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scottland » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:01 pm

Its disappointing that I wont hear the England fans singing their traditional World Cup Anthem "Ten German Bombers" The World Cup isnt the same without it.

And the RAF from Britain shot one down.

Italy 0-1 Paraguay.
Aye,well.
scottland
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:52 am

well done japan my 11/1 for them to win the group looks even tastier now.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby minxy » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:24 pm

minxy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:52 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:
It was a typical German finals performance, efficent and ruthless.

Got a job with The Sun (English edition) or did the Germans remove their gold teeth and gas them?

I think you're confusing the common garden variety of German with the lesser-spotted Nazi.
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:43 pm

Not a bad day for my predictions :)

I had: Honduras 0 Chile 2; Spain 2 Switzerland 0 (what happened there then :?); South Africa 0 Uruguay 2

10 points out of a possible 24; would have been 13 points were it not for that last minute Uruguay goal.

There were a few last minute entrants to our work competition (up to 220 from 212; potential prize money for 1st place up to £586!!). I've got a lot of catching up to do as I was on 17 points after yesterdays games (the leader was on 54 points) - that put me in (joint) 200th place :oops:

Tomorrow I have: France 2 Mexico 0; Greece 1 Nigeria 1; Argentina 2 South Korea 0
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:22 pm

Glesga_Steve wrote:Not a bad day for my predictions :)

I had: Honduras 0 Chile 2; Spain 2 Switzerland 0 (what happened there then :?); South Africa 0 Uruguay 2

10 points out of a possible 24; would have been 13 points were it not for that last minute Uruguay goal.

There were a few last minute entrants to our work competition (up to 220 from 212; potential prize money for 1st place up to £586!!). I've got a lot of catching up to do as I was on 17 points after yesterdays games (the leader was on 54 points) - that put me in (joint) 200th place :oops:

Tomorrow I have: France 2 Mexico 0; Greece 1 Nigeria 1; Argentina 2 South Korea 0

I would have been on 50. Is it too late to join your work's competition?

Mind you, I'm fifth out of 250-odd in mine, thanks to a bizarre sequence of results which saw me get three out of four wrong and still actually go up in the rankings (because whilst virtually everyone took Italy to beat Paraguay, Cameroon to beat Japan, Slovakia to beat New Zealand and Portugal to beat Ivory Coast, I had 0-0 for the last one).

Actually, it's the 'What the feck did I say that for?' results that have really come through for me. On which basis, tomorrow's unlikely prediction is France 1-1 Mexico.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:07 pm

Josef wrote:
Glesga_Steve wrote:Not a bad day for my predictions :)

I would have been on 50. Is it too late to join your work's competition?

Mind you, I'm fifth out of 250-odd in mine, thanks to a bizarre sequence of results which saw me get three out of four wrong and still actually go up in the rankings (because whilst virtually everyone took Italy to beat Paraguay, Cameroon to beat Japan, Slovakia to beat New Zealand and Portugal to beat Ivory Coast, I had 0-0 for the last one).

Actually, it's the 'What the feck did I say that for?' results that have really come through for me. On which basis, tomorrow's unlikely prediction is France 1-1 Mexico.

Too late to join?? I'm wondering if it's too late to pull out ::):

Yep, me too - though I had a 1-1 draw for the Ivory Coast v Portugal match.

There's a burd in joint first place in ours (or at least there was this morning) - I'm convinced that's down to the jammy bint predicting daft results and coming up trumps :wink: (what's the chances she predicted the Swiss would beat the Spanish??)
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:54 am

Glesga_Steve wrote:There's a burd in joint first place in ours (or at least there was this morning) - I'm convinced that's down to the jammy bint predicting daft results and coming up trumps :wink: (what's the chances she predicted the Swiss would beat the Spanish??)

Tut, tut. Although if it reinforces your *peers over shoulder to see if Sharon is watching* obviously groundless and indefensible prejudices, the one and only person in our competition to predict a Swiss win was female.

Barring two blokes who, since they predicted 7-3 and 5-3 to Switzerland, I can confidently state opted for the 'Generate Random Scores' button.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

P.S.

Postby Josef » Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:35 am

Glesga_Steve wrote: I'm wondering if it's too late to pull out ::):

Cue Hollowhorn.

And, from The Guardian's (recommended) daily football email :

LIVE ON GUARDIAN.CO.UK TODAY

Join Barry Glendenning for MBM coverage of Honduras 0-1 Chile at 12.30pm, Rob Smyth for Spain 18-0 Switzerland at 3pm and Paolo Bandini for South Africa 1-1 Uruguay from 7.30pm.

Well, made me chuckle anyway. I suppose I should get out more.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DickyHart » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:52 pm

The England team went to visit an orphanage in South Africa this morning. "It feels good to put a smile on the faces of people with no hope, constantly struggling and facing the impossible" said Jamal Umboto aged 6 ;)
Is this gonna be a standup fight, sir, or another bughunt?
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:08 pm

What do we think - have France just become the first of the 'big' sides to be knocked out of the World Cup?
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dave » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:49 pm

Glesga_Steve wrote:What do we think - have France just become the first of the 'big' sides to be knocked out of the World Cup?

Yeah, it's shaping up to be quite interesting, never was much of a footy fan but I've watched a few games and it's quite entertaining.
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby draugelis » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:59 pm

Glesga_Steve wrote:What do we think - have France just become the first of the 'big' sides to be knocked out of the World Cup?

I'm off to France for a wee break the week after next; the only good thing about tonight's result is that "L'Equipe" will now concentrate all it's editorial efforts on Le Tour! Chapeau Raymond Domenech! :D
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - Tom Waits
draugelis
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Random Distractions