The World Cup thread

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: The World Cup thread

Postby Glesga_Steve » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:48 pm

FIFA.com wrote:Argentina v Mexico match report...

Argentina have set up another FIFA World Cup™ quarter-final against Germany after overcoming Mexico 3-1 at Johannesburg’s Soccer City Stadium. Carlos Tevez emerged as the hero with a brace of goals, while Gonzalo Higuain was also on target as Diego Maradona’s Albiceleste set up a rematch against their 2006 conquerors.

The Mexicans ultimately proved no match for their clinical South American opponents, yet it all started so promisingly for Javier Aguirre’s side, with Carlos Salcido rattling the crossbar with a stunning long-range drive after just eight minutes. There was another lucky escape for Argentina just a minute later, when Andres Guardado drilled in a shot from the edge of the box that spun away from the far post just as the net looked set to bulge.

Maradona’s side were hardly lacking in attacking menace themselves, however, and Lionel Messi soon embarked on one of his trademark elusive runs before attempting a chip over Oscar Perez that the Mexico keeper judged well. Messi’s hunt for a goal at South Africa 2010 continues, but it wasn’t long before the Barcelona talisman played a key role as another of Argentina’s star forwards opened his tournament account.

Carlos Tevez might have thought his chance had gone when Perez raced out to block bravely at his feet, but Messi was quick-witted enough to return the ball towards goal, where the Manchester City striker was waiting to head home. Breaking the deadlock enabled Argentina to take a firm grip on proceedings, and within seven minutes that hold was strengthened as Mexico reached for the self-destruct button.

Quite what Ricardo Osorio was thinking when he played a square pass to the feet of Gonzalo Higuain is unclear, but it was a gift the Real Madrid striker readily accepted, coolly dragging the ball around the grounded Perez before side-footing into the empty net for his fourth goal of the tournament.

Even with the best part of an hour remaining, it was difficult to envisage Mexico finding a way back into this match, and Argentina could have been out of sight altogether by half-time had Higuain not headed wastefully wide with the goal at his mercy. Maradona’s men are capable of scoring at any time though, and from any situation – as Carlos Tevez proved six minutes into the second half.

The Albiceleste No11 benefited from a fortuitous break 25 yards from goal, but there was no luck involved in what followed, with Tevez lashing an unstoppable drive into the top-right-hand corner for one of the goals of the tournament. Mexico must have realised the game was up at this stage, but it was to their credit that they continued to attack with conviction, and they should have pulled a goal back on 63 minutes when Javier Hernandez headed over when it seemed easier to score.

The Manchester United-bound youngster made amends with 19 minutes remaining, however, brilliantly turning Martin Demichelis on the edge of the box before rifling a stunning left-foot shot into the roof of the Argentinian net. It would prove scant consolation for the crestfallen Mexicans, but while El Tri return home with their dreams dashed, Argentina can begin plotting revenge against some familiar foes.

Funny that, no mention of the piss-poor officiating at the opening goal or the nonsense that was the linesman noticing his mistake on the big screen but the ref not changing the decision prior to the game kicking back off. I know FIFA rules prevented him from doing so but be a man and do the right thing FFS!! More concerned about being disciplined by Sepp Blatter than ensuring sporting fairness obviously :evil:
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:00 am

They think it's all over ... it is now. England have won the World Cup* and we can all go home.

(* in '66)
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby InkMan » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:06 am

As the inevitable has now occurred with England being eliminated there are a couple of points I would like to make.

Yes, the English FOOTBALL media refer to 1966 to a ridiculous degree but that was not the case when they won the Rugby Union World Cup in 2003. Furthermore considering the constant references to the Wembley Wizards of 1967, a game that most people outside this country gave not a sweet fuck about or - out with football statisticians - can even say they know about by our media there is a huge sense of hypocrisy here. The same can be said for the Old Firms European successes which, although deservingly celebrated, are still mentioned as if in any way relevant to modern football.

As for the people who say "Eng-Ur-Land" or "Little Englanders" - some of who work in the media - what would the reaction be to an English person calling us "Scotch", Irish people "Little Irishers" or a similar attitude taken against an African team? My bets are we would be deafened by the cries of discrimination, sectarianism or racism.

During the last World Cup Stuart Cosgrove and Tam Cowan had a half hour nationwide slot on Radio 5Live when they made continual references to the late Bobby Moore's incident where he was obviously fitted up on a charge of stealing a bracelet. It is acceptable for the two of them to sing "Where's the bracelet Bobby Moore" yet if an English "broadcaster" was to make references to one of our late football icons - Jock Stein, Billy Bremner, Jimmy Johnstone or Jim Baxter (the latter two who even the most Hagiographical of obituaries referred to their, shall we say, social flaws) the reaction would have been on a "Sachsgate" scale in our media.

Don't misunderstand me I am not a hardline Unionist and I am both relieved and delighted not to have to endure the crowing of their success in the tournament but as I said that is from the small gene pool of their football media.

As for the argument of a UK wide broadcaster supporting a certain team I can remember support for us by both the UK and internal media in the tournaments where we qualified or STV/Scottish TV advertising that they were putting their full support behind the Republic of Ireland in 2002 - and before anyone makes the suggestion I do not have an issue with that. Furthermore the argument that non English people are somehow being discriminated by this ignores the large minority of people who support England.

Let's not forget that not everyone in this country wants Scotland to succeed either. In my time in various departments of the Civil Service - almost ten years of which were in the MOD in Brown Street - I came across many such examples. From actively supporting anyone but Scotland to clearly showing hatred, resentment and racist attitudes against this country and its people (a discrimination that is tolerated in that it never seems to be addressed by either management or Union level) I witnessed such behaviour from both "hardline" unionists or Irish Republicans on many occassions. Such attitudes pollute the Civil Service as it does society in general but they do exist. With that in mind should any Scottish based coverage of our games take into account that minority and therefore take a neutral commentary and coverage stance?

My point is that can we not maybe simply focus on Scottish sporting achievements? Peter Nichol received more coverage losing playing for England that he did winning world titles as a Scot? Dario Franchitti is barely mentioned despite his numerous successes. If you were to visit whichever the smallest state to border Texas and read their press to find it concentrated to a neurotic degree on the failures of it's largest neighbour - despite having successful sportsmen and women - then I would find that strange yet that is what we are.

Anyhooz rant over

Shuggy
Last edited by InkMan on Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:18 am, edited 3 times in total.
Cleggy you snickering floppy eared hound when courage is needed, you're ne'er around.
Those medals you wear on your moth-eaten chest should be there for bungling at which you are best.
InkMan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby InkMan » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:06 am

Double post - Sorry
Last edited by InkMan on Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cleggy you snickering floppy eared hound when courage is needed, you're ne'er around.
Those medals you wear on your moth-eaten chest should be there for bungling at which you are best.
InkMan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby InkMan » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:11 am

hungryjoe wrote:Could someone tell that wee fud Chick Young, that Mexico isn't in South America?
Thank you.

Hungryjoe

That is similar to Stan Collymore on TalkSport last week mentioning how Slovenia only gained independence following the break up of Czechoslovakia! What is worse is that he repeated this an hour later yet not one caller, fellow pundit or member of production staff corrected him.

Shuggy
InkMan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby MacotheIsles » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:37 pm

Sorry to see England go. Anyway, like most things in the mortal world the trick is to take a few steps back, screw up the eyes and it all becomes splashes of colour on a much broader canvas. Enjoy the whole grandstandishly outrageous tournament while it's still here.
MacotheIsles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby sunnysider » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:59 pm

If Brazil win tonight the quarter final will be Holland v Brazil.

Funny ... a few years ago that would have been a fixture to make the heart sing. But since both of them are playing functional, percentage football it looks like it will be more like Bolton v Hull. Sort of.

Hope Holland have a few gears to move up and they do it this year after all the glorious near misses since the 70s. A bit like awarding them the Lifetime's Achievement Oscar.

But I think it'll be Brazil v Argentina in the final, which Brazil will win.

England? I have lived here for 15 years and I like it but as ever I am glad they are out. It's the suffocating arrogance ("we deserve to win the World Cup" - J. Terry), the casual and scary xenophobia, the oafishness. Oh, and John Terry.

I actually supported them in 2002 when it seemed they entered the World Cup with a bit of humility and there was all the talk about 'reclaiming the flag of St George from BNP bigots and racists' but they have gone backwards since then, into the old entrenched Ten German Bombers shit.

So now we can forget that nation's very, very weird and unhealthy psychological complexes, and just watch the bloody football. Phew.

'Mon the Oranje!
Whaddya mean, keep down? Why, they couldn't hit an elephant from this dist-
sunnysider
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:06 pm

. Furthermore considering the constant references to the Wembley Wizards of 1967,

evidence please.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:18 pm

InkMan wrote:That is similar to Stan Collymore on TalkSport last week mentioning how Slovenia only gained independence following the break up of Czechoslovakia! What is worse is that he repeated this an hour later yet not one caller, fellow pundit or member of production staff corrected him.

Shuggy

I believe the official FIFA press kit at the World Cup twice listed Slovakian as an official language in Slovenia.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dave » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:39 pm

Josef wrote:I believe the official FIFA press kit at the World Cup twice listed Slovakian as an official language in Slovenia.

Isn't that more to do with the majority of people from that region understanding one another perfectly well but claiming that their language is their own.........Bit like American English and English. I scrapped together some Serbo-Croat (as it was and may still be know) back in the 90's which did reasonably well throughout my travels in the region.
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Salka » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:48 pm

Josef wrote:
InkMan wrote:That is similar to Stan Collymore on TalkSport last week mentioning how Slovenia only gained independence following the break up of Czechoslovakia! What is worse is that he repeated this an hour later yet not one caller, fellow pundit or member of production staff corrected him.

Shuggy

I believe the official FIFA press kit at the World Cup twice listed Slovakian as an official language in Slovenia.

Useless fact: the Slovakian for "Slovakian" and the Slovenian for "Slovenian" are the same word: slovenský.
Salka
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:43 am

Cops: Man killed crying girl during World Cup game

Monday, June 28, 2010

(06-28) 19:46 PDT McAllen, Texas (AP) --

A Texas man accused of fatally beating his 2-year-old stepdaughter when she wouldn't stop crying as he watched a World Cup game has been charged with capital murder.

McAllen Police Sgt. Joel Morales says 27-year-old Hector Castro was charged Monday after his Saturday arrest. Castro is being held on $1 million bond at the Hidalgo County jail, where a booking clerk says he does not yet have an attorney.

Police Chief Victor Rodriguez says Castro told investigators the toddler wouldn't stop crying while he was trying to watch the U.S.-Ghana matchup Saturday.

Rodriguez says the child was severely beaten and suffered several broken ribs. Police say a screw or bolt was forced down her throat in an apparent attempt to make it look like she choked to death.
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby InkMan » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:20 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:
. Furthermore considering the constant references to the Wembley Wizards of 1967,

evidence please.

Dexter,

Were I to expect, seek, collate, collect then follow your wish to disseminate such examples then I would be bad as those who give themselves the only sexual kick in their sad lives whilst pitching a wigwam in their beige corduroy slacks by awaiting the (equally pathetic) 1966 reference with stopwatch, abacus and post-count hankies in hand.

If this is your only objection to my post/rant then I can live with that.

This forum seems to do the ABE deal with a modicum of humour and I should have made the point clear that I was referring to our society in general.

Take care
InkMan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Josef » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:47 pm

If Carlsberg did action replays....

Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dave » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:35 pm

Probably a bit late but

What goal?

A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Random Distractions