HG-8

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: HG-8

Postby paladin » Tue May 31, 2005 5:12 pm

Captain Brittles wrote:Who saw the Daily Record front page story that claims 2,000 US marines will invade Scotland for the duration of the G-8 summit at Gleneagles ?

Not me........until you flagged it up.

Do you think they might join HG while they are here?

I've never been on a political- or otherwise- demonstration in my life but if this story really is true I will :evil:

Better prepare to lose your virginity Capt. :roll:

Tony Bair

That's a cracker

::):
Last edited by paladin on Tue May 31, 2005 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paladin
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Tue May 31, 2005 5:13 pm

American troops occupied Scotland all through the cold war, its nothing new, but having 2000 around Prestwick's a bit too much really. Ever seen an Al Quaida 'terrst' in Scotland :roll:

Blair is bad, but he's better, in my opinion, than Howard would have been. Is the Daily Record that pro-British?

Mind you, Bush needs protection. He might just see one of the real live inhabitants of Scotland with his own eyes :o :wink:
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby donjuan » Tue May 31, 2005 6:49 pm

Hippys to invade Faslane
The Hippys wrote:On Monday 4th July 2005, as the 'leaders' of the world gather in Scotland for the G8 summit, we will be gathering just 60 miles away at the biggest and deadliest military base in Scotland to put a spanner in the works of global militarism.
donjuan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby JayKay » Tue May 31, 2005 7:10 pm

The american marines story is apparently complete bollocks according to strathclyde police.

In response to the exclusive article printed in the Daily Record today,
Tuesday 31 May 2005 regarding the deployment of American Troops at Prestwick Airport we wish to make certain points clear.

The suggestion that two thousand US Marines will invade Scotland is complete fabrication. Under no circumstances will troops form a 30 mile ring of steel around Prestwick Airport.

Daily Record in "makes up a story" shocker! :wink:
*value of posts can go down as well as up.
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ladylabobo » Tue May 31, 2005 7:23 pm

I'm wondering if this story was sourced from the suggestion that Bush was bringing his own troops as security and that he's also bringing over his own limmos etc cos he doesnt trust us to provide safe transport or protection. Dont think it was 2000 tho...

Anyone else going to gleneagles for the G8? or do we think the Edinburgh thing might be more "fun"?
ladylabobo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Tue May 31, 2005 7:42 pm

This thing's going to be big fun :roll: , concerts (yes concerts!) protests, riots whatever. They just riot and nothing ever is done to curb globalisation.

For a few days the world thinks about globalisation, but nobody seriously would do anyhing about it. Maybe this time...
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby donjuan » Tue May 31, 2005 7:55 pm

Vladimir wrote:This thing's going to be big fun :roll: , concerts (yes concerts!) protests, riots whatever. They just riot and nothing ever is done to curb globalisation.

For a few days the world thinks about globalisation, but nobody seriously would do anyhing about it. Maybe this time...

What's wrong with globalisation? It's better than all the alternates Communism, Anarchy etc
donjuan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: HG-8

Postby paladin » Tue May 31, 2005 7:56 pm

Captain Brittles wrote:I'm up for a day oot. Is there any HG balaclavas for sale :?:

Dress yer best day........2003 fashion......

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_depth/pho ... 953932.stm

8)
paladin
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Tue May 31, 2005 8:06 pm

donjuan wrote:
Vladimir wrote:This thing's going to be big fun :roll: , concerts (yes concerts!) protests, riots whatever. They just riot and nothing ever is done to curb globalisation.

What's wrong with globalisation? It's better than all the alternates Communism, Anarchy etc

Your probably right but the idea is still a bad one. Its damaging European jobs and making us more American. We did live without globalisation for a few thousand years, even without Starbucks

:wink:

Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Tue May 31, 2005 8:20 pm

This guys next Captain, just you wait... :wink:
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Captain Brittles » Tue May 31, 2005 8:26 pm

Vladimir wrote:Image

This guys next Captain, just you wait... :wink:

Thats the boy Sung, wasn't his Da' one of your apprentices Vlad :?:

Christ you have to pity those poor brainwashed starving people. Sung and his cronies are total crackpots and the Yanks are terrified of them because of that.
Captain Brittles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Tue May 31, 2005 8:38 pm

Kim Il Sung, yes, was about ten when I died but... yes... a very bad student.

::):

His hair style terrifies me 8O , and the fact that he wears his pyjamas around at conferences. ::):

North Korea needs change, but not by using the American army :?
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Tue May 31, 2005 10:02 pm

The North Koreans are as happy to sell themselves to the Americans as anyone else.

A few years back, my company was heavily involved in the mobile phone testing business, just after Motorla baled out of their Scottish assembly operations.

There's a long story, but bottom line was that we went out there to try and get a contract to carry out their testing, since they had all the assembly, but hadn't gobbled up the test options.

They are very, very smart people, and had cutting edge technology in place, way in advance of our kit, and it was being used on the most recent cellphones available then.

The most interesting point was that despite apparently meeting with companies with very Korean sounding names, when you read the small print of their names and contracts, they were really just outposts of companies like Motorola, who had supplied all their facilities, technology and equipment.

They are absorbing the West, Europe, America, whatever you want to call it, and because the West only lets the high profile stuff like their nuclear smokescreen into the news, most people are unaware of what is happening.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:45 am

Sorry, bad wording, I wasn't in the team that went. I don't do the travelling bit like that, paid other people. Don't know I would say the American company's are operating there, they are junior partners (49% or less) with the incumbents, so have no control.

As I said, they're not stupid, and aren't going to reinvent the wheel. They have an absolutely huge market for mobile phones there (go find the population figure), without even thinking about the export side, and since anything they produce has to be compatible for said export, the big M (and all the other similar Co's) are more than pleased to take their cash and get into bed.

Only the naive would not know they are busily reverse engineering all the technology from the west and throwing skiploads of communal cash at developing "our" technology ahead of what we now have, and selling it back to us in a few years, so getting back all todays cash with interest, and locking us into their supply chain.

Forget Rover, see the whole of western manufacturing melt away while you watch.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby duncan » Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:45 am

Apollo wrote:They have an absolutely huge market for mobile phones there (go find the population figure),

something tells me you definitely mean South Korea.
duncan
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Random Distractions