The 'Homers' Network!

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby ladylabobo » Wed May 25, 2005 12:45 am

I can do graphic design, websites (fully accessible), journalism, marketing, press releases, tv production stuff, I can make tea and coffee..pull pints, design computer games... i can dig big holes and fill them up again.

What I really need is a reliable central heating engineer who wont shaft me for new stuff i dont need... anyone got any reliable numbers?
ladylabobo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: Homers

Postby Captain Brittles » Wed May 25, 2005 6:34 pm

Shazbat wrote:Anybody do roughcasting?
The Glasgow Housing Association (my factor) have seen fit to charge three hundred quid for the repair (about half a square metre). As this looks like being an ongoing problem, would be interested to know what this work would really cost. :evil:

You might get it done for £200 Shaz. These guys are in such demand because there is so much works around they can pick & choose what jobs they'll do. Think of the washing machine man charging £60 call-out money then parts & labour, the buildiing industry guys emulate that now, who can blame them (us) its market forces, though you could blame previous goverments who neglected to ensure the apprenticeship scheme produced tradesmen.
Captain Brittles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Wed May 25, 2005 8:43 pm

ladylabobo wrote:What I really need is a reliable central heating engineer who wont shaft me for new stuff i dont need... anyone got any reliable numbers?

Scottish Gas actually do quite a good deal, I signed up to it at Xmas when my Combi took the full strop! £160 for a years contract which covers everything central heating related. heres a link: Scottish Gas
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby JYC » Thu May 26, 2005 7:31 pm

I'm not sure about homers; I am an artist on a sabbatical (sculpture mainly), working on greenspace/ urban regeneration projects.

http://www.greenspacescotland.org.uk :mrgreen:

BTW - Don't trust Scottish Gas, etc and their bargain deals - my hubby is a heating engineer and has had to sort out plenty boilers under the £12.50 a month or whatever it is deal, with problems like dodgy connections made, things leaking and overheating, bits not cleaned out properly and stats left set high (probably to make more money for the energy supplier). As he says, if it is installed properly in the first place and well looked after, it shouldn't break down or need to much attention for a few years so watch out that you don't get robbed. Oh, and condensing boilers are much better than combis.
JYC
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby mooshimooshisan » Fri May 27, 2005 9:09 am

Different kind of IT pish here - anyone needing domain registration, web hosting, anything like that, I'm your gal.

No domain to big or small, yada yada.

Mr Moosh is an electrician also.
mooshimooshisan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby viceroy » Fri May 27, 2005 9:27 am

This is unlikely to ever happen, but if you need a translation from Dutch [seriously] into English, or perhaps even vice versa, then I should be able to help you out.
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ronnie » Fri May 27, 2005 12:10 pm

Alchemist wrote:As your saying Turbozutek, installation of computers are my
background as well. Yet again can do a homer for naked ironing
or hovering strickly for the ladies :wink:

Nothing like a lady *hovering* ... saves wear and tear on the carpets, eh?
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DMcNay » Fri May 27, 2005 12:11 pm

viceroy wrote:This is unlikely to ever happen, but if you need a translation from Dutch [seriously] into English, or perhaps even vice versa, then I should be able to help you out.

How about Afrikaans? That's similar to Dutch, isn't it?
DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ronnie » Fri May 27, 2005 12:20 pm

OK.
Last edited by Ronnie on Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DMcNay » Fri May 27, 2005 12:24 pm

Ooh, that's a point. I DO have somethnig I can do.

Family History research I can do. And if I can't I can point you in the direction of someone who can.

Also, and this is incredibly unlikely to be useful to anyone, I can identify regiments from old photographs. Usually.
DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby viceroy » Fri May 27, 2005 5:38 pm

Doc Lightning wrote:How about Afrikaans? That's similar to Dutch, isn't it?

Started off as Dutch in the seventeenth century but sort of went its own way after that with borrowings from Portugese, Malay and also the local Bantu and Khoisan languages. But there are still a lot of similarities. I can read Afrikaans newspapers, however it's a slow process.
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby JYC » Sun May 29, 2005 9:02 pm

Just realised that there is something else that I can do. I am pretty good at flower arranging, cards/ invites, favours, making jewellery and figures out of wire, fimo, clay, beads, etc and can help with events like weddings, baby naming ceremonies, etc, etc...

After talking with a friend today who is really struggling to find original stuff, and asked where I got my wedding flowers, crown, stoles, cake ornaments, favours, and other stuff like that. I did my own flowers for £60 and 1 days work, which comprised of 4 bouquets, 6 corsages, 12 pinholes and a few vases. I had white orchids, pussy willow, grevalia (purple grass), thistles and pretty blueish flowers. I'm doing another friends flowers in September, secret garden style with ivy and wild flowers. Seems to be a bit of a gap in the market for original/ personal stuff.
JYC
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby escotregen » Tue May 31, 2005 10:25 am

JYC I've just Pm'd you re our possible mutual work interests around young people and regeneration... mind you, not the flower arranging and favours bits :)
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby YokerBloke » Tue May 31, 2005 1:47 pm

Welder. Printer cum Graphic designer.

Hmmm... Quite a few Graphic designers in here by the looks of it
YokerBloke
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby anok » Tue May 31, 2005 8:19 pm

i can break things or and as well as make them go bang :twisted: Iam actually quite good at both these tings :D
anok
First Stripe
First Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Random Distractions