The 'Homers' Network!

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: The 'Homers' Network!

Postby mack4 » Fri May 22, 2009 11:01 am

I was browsing here and like "Flyman" thought it was about the "Simpsons",had a wee laugh about the gasfitter called "Bomber".I would like to register as a floorlayer (all types) for advice,homers,whatever.
mack
mack4
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Re: Graffiti?... Who?...Me?...No sure about that !

Postby TeeHeeHee » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:46 am

Garden is, more or less, completely laid out as per HER wishes.
Now she wants me to do a "Sunset Scene" on the gable (3 meter X 3 meter aprox).
Googled and found one or two ideas but the problem is that to do it right I'd have to have about 650 million zillion different shades.
Are there any Artists out there who can tell me how to simplify this task ?
I don't really want to use spray cans as I'm sure my old nasty neighbour would find some local by-law somewhere that would give him good enough grounds to go running to the local feds...not for the first time ( he reported me once for running an unlicensed auto repair shop - I'd let my mate use my garage to work on his car )
But I would welcome any hints or help ( don't ask to come and do it for me ...I can't afford the flight ticket.)
Gimme a shout when ma dinner's ready
TeeHeeHee
First Stripe
First Stripe

Re: Graffiti?... Who?...Me?...No sure about that !

Postby Dave » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:38 am

TeeHeeHee wrote:Garden is, more or less, completely laid out as per HER wishes.
Now she wants me to do a "Sunset Scene" on the gable (3 meter X 3 meter aprox).
Googled and found one or two ideas but the problem is that to do it right I'd have to have about 650 million zillion different shades.
Are there any Artists out there who can tell me how to simplify this task ?
I don't really want to use spray cans as I'm sure my old nasty neighbour would find some local by-law somewhere that would give him good enough grounds to go running to the local feds...not for the first time ( he reported me once for running an unlicensed auto repair shop - I'd let my mate use my garage to work on his car )
But I would welcome any hints or help ( don't ask to come and do it for me ...I can't afford the flight ticket.)

The 'sunset scene' is not a good idea as a permanent feature IMHO. B&Q sell tarps which feature such joys which are significantly smaller than your needs. Perhaps talking to a graphics company might be worthwhile.
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby TeeHeeHee » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:47 pm

Thanks Dave. I do have a mate out here who has a mate in that line. I'll definitely have to contact him.
Gimme a shout when ma dinner's ready
TeeHeeHee
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby hungryjoe » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:34 am

Hi all, I'm a singer/musician and can do guitar lessons to a reasonably advanced (gigging) level and I'm quite happy to barter.
Multi dinero, multi ficky fick, multi divorce.
hungryjoe
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:06 am

hungryjoe wrote:Hi all, I'm a singer/musician and can do guitar lessons to a reasonably advanced (gigging) level and I'm quite happy to barter.

Hi hj - could I be cheeky and ask for a bit of free advice?
My son (age 13) wants an electric guitar for his birthday any ideas for a reasonable starter one?
Ta in advance!! :)
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hungryjoe » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:50 am

Hi Bridie,
you can't go wrong with a Strat (Fender Stratocaster) copy. Squier (Fender) and Yamaha, are pretty good. If you buy from a recognised quality shop like Guitar Guitar or McCormicks the guitar should be well set up (the height of the strings, trueness of the neck, adjustment of the bridge/bridge saddles etc.). If you buy from scummy moneygrabbers, that chances are that you'll have to spend 30 quid or more getting the guitar set up.
On the other hand, you'll always get a better buy going the second hand route, but you have to know, or know someone, who knows what they're about.
I'm pretty busy over the next 2 weeks (4 gigs a week at my age F.F.S.), if you contact me in a couple of weeks time, I can certainly meet you for an hour or so in one of the above named shops. If you don't want to wait, go into Guitar Guitar and see Big Bill, phone first and make sure he's working that day, mention my name (I'll PM) and you'll be ok. Don't forget to mention the set up, he is a salesman after all ::): .
Bill also works in a music school and can arrange lessons. Trust me here, a good teacher can teach a kid in 2 years, what it took me 20 years to learn for myself.
Good luck,
Joe
hungryjoe
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby John » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:57 am

Seconded. You can't go wrong with any of the strat variants.

I have a USA strat I bought several years ago and love it. The less expensive Mexican and Japanese models are also highly regarded and many musicians actually prefer them.
'It's a sad day for capitalism when a man can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park'
John
-
-

Postby BrigitDoon » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:20 pm

I have a Yamaha Pacifica which looks like a strat and has a humbucker pickup nearest the bridge instead of the Strat's single coil. It cost me about £150 and I've seen them in Guitar Guitar. It's solidly put together and for some reason never goes out of tune, even with generous use of the tremelo arm.
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby well skelpt coupon » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:34 pm

Howdy Bridie,

An electric guitar needs an amp so it may be cheaper to get a starter pack that has a guitar and all the trimmings. Most of the major brands, Fender, Yamaha, er, Encore, supply them.

I got my daughter a Squier Strat a few years back and I must admit that I was surprised at the quality - it's actually rather good.

Regards
well skelpt coupon
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby hungryjoe » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:29 pm

BrigitDoon wrote:I have a Yamaha Pacifica which looks like a strat and has a humbucker pickup nearest the bridge instead of the Strat's single coil. It cost me about £150 and I've seen them in Guitar Guitar. It's solidly put together and for some reason never goes out of tune, even with generous use of the tremelo arm.

Great wee guitars for the money.
I've got a Tokai Strar and it's better than a lot of Fenders. I also have a Tokai S.G. and it's better than any Gibson.

BTW anyone know what the S.G. stands for? I was a bit let down when I found out, I always imagined it stood for Super Guitaremisio or something exotic.
hungryjoe
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:57 pm

Thank you ALL very much :D that was really brilliant advice !!
Hungryjoe! would have been great to meet up and buy said guitar however I'm not in Glasgow nor am I even in Scotland - unfortunately!
I'm in the "middle o' nowhere" Ireland where it's easier to buy a cow than it is a guitar 8)
Thanks for the offer tho HJ and speaking of McCormack's - that takes me back a bit - Saturday afternoons 8)
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lynn_x » Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:49 pm

I'm trying to think what i can do.... :roll:

Leave it with me :oops:
"I'd rather be hated for who i am, than loved for who i am not!"
Lynn_x
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby JammyB » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:58 am

I'm afraid I'll have to register myself as no use to anybody but on the positive side that might mean using everybody in this thread at some point.
JammyB
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby The Mighty R I D E » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:53 pm

fuckinthought it said homonetwork ::): ::): ::):
The Mighty R I D E
First Stripe
First Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Random Distractions