No votes
Mibbe sometimes they are
22%
Don't know
No votes

Total votes : 27

Young People....

Postby paladin » Sun May 08, 2005 8:00 am

Travelling back from Glasgow on Friday aboard a Virgin Voyager train, I was sat amongst a group of young people(8 of them) in the 'Quiet' zone. Apart from a 'complaint' from someone in the carriage, these U-27s were extremely well behaved, good mannered and respectful and I was most impressed by them and their level of communication. It turned out that they were all Unison Shop Stewards on their way to a Conference in Chorley. This experience just endorsed the fact that not all 'young' people are all alcohol-fuelled, drug-driven neds (even though there was the essential bevvy being partaken throughout the journey by them).
:D

ps This topic started off in Coffee Lounge but some wee ned has put it in Random Distractions. ::):
paladin
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Captain Brittles » Sun May 08, 2005 8:49 am

Shop Stewards have a social concience and know how to conduct themselves when representing their fellow workers/colleagues. Nice post.
Captain Brittles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun May 08, 2005 9:01 am

Captain Brittles wrote:Shop Stewards have a social concience and know how to conduct themselves when representing their fellow workers/colleagues. Nice post.

Except boilermakers and of course members of the NUT and NAHT. What an example they provide each year.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby paladin » Sun May 08, 2005 9:07 am

Captain Brittles wrote:Shop Stewards have a social concience

Their opening line was to offer me a bottle of beer which I had to decline as it was only 10 am and I no longer drink alcohol anymore. But for saying that these young people didn't know one another before the journey they were exceptionally pleasant and courteous to each other (and other travellers) and were seemingly joined by a common bond that exuded positive cheerfulness.
paladin
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alchemist » Sun May 08, 2005 1:43 pm

paladin wrote:
Captain Brittles wrote:Shop Stewards have a social concience

Their opening line was to offer me a bottle of beer which I had to decline as it was only 10 am and I no longer drink alcohol anymore. But for saying that these young people didn't know one another before the journey they were exceptionally pleasant and courteous to each other (and other travellers) and were seemingly joined by a common bond that exuded positive cheerfulness.

Yes, there is a percentage of U-27's that are normal folks, and there
still always will be in society. Just wish the percentage was a bit higher,
could then squash out the ned element.

Their opening line was to offer me a bottle of beer which I had to decline as it was only 10 am

That's me on the early morning GNER,
but folks always seem to decline a beer. Think will have to stop
drinking the "gold" cans :P
Alchemist
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby engineer » Sun May 08, 2005 1:54 pm

went on the train to a stag do in inverness, at the end of the journey 2 old dears in the seats opposite said we were the most courteous youngsters they had ever sat next to.
wasn't quite sure how to take that, being such a rock n roll guy.
have to say i hate public transport when it is infested with bams and cocobanjos, of any age.
engineer
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby paladin » Sun May 08, 2005 2:24 pm

engineer wrote:have to say i hate public transport

Using any form of public transport is a journey into the unknown, as even the final destination has been known to change whilst in transit (due to technical difficulties outwith the operators control). However any journey is shortened and made more bearable when there is civil communication exchanged between travellers, and in many instances it really does turn out to be a small world after all. I travel quite a lot and the worst journeys are those where there are plenty of commuters with a lack of communication skills (usually in London 8O ) that just creates a negative atmosphere.
paladin
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ladylabobo » Sun May 08, 2005 3:11 pm

when i first saw this post I thought young people = U18's not U27's.

Still not a young person tho.

I was NEVER a ned.
ladylabobo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby mrlipring » Sun May 08, 2005 3:49 pm

w00t! I'm a young person by this definition. I know young people, and proper under-18s who aren't neds. The poll's a bit silly. Of COURSE they/we aren't all neds.

I'm proud to say that, since i was old enough to choose my own clothes i've never worn a tracksuit. I've never drank tonic wine in a park, and i've never started a fight, let alone with a stranger.

I wouldn't associate with anyone who would, so therefore none of my friends are, and i know a stack of people.

The problem is that the normal (i won't say well-adjusted, 'cos i'm not) young people don't draw attention to themselves like neds do. Sure, a lot of the non-neddy young people wear some CRAZY stuff (hang about the GOMA on a saturday afternoon, there'll be wee witchy girls wearing capes, and full corpse paint ffs) but i'd rather kids looked daft than stabbed me.

I know there are as many wee bams wearing hoodies, or ben sherman shirts, but i used the trackies as an example. Indeed, there are plenty of middle-aged neds too...

I don't tend to like long train journeys, because i inevitably get stuck in a carriage with a half-dozen twats who are drinking, and singing, and boisterous, and aggressive... I don't understand the whole "i'm on a train therefore i will get pished" mentality.
"You just keep pumping away until someone suitably qualified tells you to stop."
mrlipring
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby paladin » Sun May 08, 2005 6:03 pm

mrlipring wrote: The poll's a bit silly.

I don't tend to like long train journeys

All 'polls' are a bit silly, but I'm pleased about the turnout on this one, as it got more of a majority than the government. 8O

Train journeys are still long but actual travelling time has been reduced considerably and trains are definitely superior (and mostly cheaper if bought in advance) than travelling by coach or car.

And under European law you are still a 'young' person up to the age of 34.

8)
paladin
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Sun May 08, 2005 6:07 pm

In the future you'll be a young person until you're 54 and have to work until the age of 70 to pay for pensions.

Im a young person (18). Im not a ned. In France they call neds Racaille or riffraff. They look pretty much the same as they do in Glasgow
::):

The main difference is the Olympique de Marseille hats ::):
Last edited by Vladimir on Sun May 08, 2005 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby paladin » Sun May 08, 2005 6:13 pm

Vladimir wrote:In the future you'll be a young person until you're 54 and have to work until the age of 70 to pay for pensions 8O

Excellent!

In that case I will still be a young person when I start drawing my pension at 50 8)

and still be young enough to enjoy it. :D
paladin
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby paladin » Sun May 08, 2005 7:30 pm

Vladimir wrote:In France they call neds Racaille or riffraff. They look pretty much the same as they do in Glasgow
::):

The main difference is the Olympique de Marseille hats ::):

Nice sandals. 8)
paladin
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Sun May 08, 2005 9:03 pm

Gets a bit stuffy down the Quartier Nord ::): ::):
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby paladin » Mon May 09, 2005 6:49 am

ladylabobo wrote:when i first saw this post I thought young people = U18's not U27's.

Spartacus was a young person......

paladin
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Random Distractions