School dinner memoirs

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Fireman » Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:15 am

School dinners at Dunard Street primary school - fond memories! :D

Dinner tickets were either Free, 3/11, 4/7 or 5/3 old money.

Favourite's were stew, spam fritters and red jelly with hundreds & thousands.

Hated was liver and the totties were always pretty grim - lumpy, hard and dried out.
Fireman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:28 pm

I've just conducted an unsuccessful search for documents to prove you wrong and then came to the conclusion that they did put the prices up occasionally.

3/11, 4/9, and 5/2 were fixed in my brain. I was another sacked dinner monitor. I always recall being sacked for refusing to take the waste bins out every day insisting there should be a rota but the older monitors insisted it was my job. I had my revenge by eating two dinners every day.

In reality I think I was sacked after asking a diner to take his empty plate up to the hatch. I think the conversation went "hey take your plate up pal." " Whit are you gonna dae if I don't?" "Throw it at you" "Aye on you go."

My defence that I was aiming for his well cushioned stomach and it was his own fault for ducking was not accepted by the head teacher after a mother complained of her son arriving home with a cut head.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby pwm437 » Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:10 pm

I remember my first experience of pink custard, it looked like a big bowl of windolene. I went to Hayfield Primary in the Gorbals, and we got eight weeks holiday in the summer, whilst St Luke's only got seven weeks. When they returned after the summer, we would go along at dinner time and just join the queue (I think ma maw made us do this). It was bedlam, and nobody ever asked for a ticket.

The pink custard and sponge cake............unforgetable
pwm437
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Field Marshall Shug » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:52 pm

I only went once and was screamed at by Mrs Teirney for not eating the beef pish which I bought because I apparently got the last one and others lost out. Key point...I paid for my meal...therefore I had every right not to eat it. I would like this answer transferred to the 'Whose Face You Never Tire of Punching' thread.

Also if you had gym in the afternoon it took place in the same hall as the dinners got spat-out, so you got mashed potato on your bare knee from time to time when you fell over while attempting to secure the British Amateur Gymnastics Association Grade 4 Award.
Field Marshall Shug
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Location: Listening to Strawberry Switchblade on a burst sofa.

Postby theduke » Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:32 am

Was at St Annes Primary in David St, what I remember was that it seemed that most of us who stayed in Dennistoun went home for lunch, while the Barrowfield pupils all got school dinners. They used to call us the DS (Dennistoun Snobs), when in reality we were anything but ::): !!
Sixty Seconds In Kingdom Come
theduke
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby little lane » Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:58 pm

evilmiss wrote:I remember being offered the delicacy of 'Spaghetti Hoop' pie. It was a base of shortcrust pastry, smothered with the formidable hoops, cut into squares for our dining pleasure.

No, no, no! Reading this thread I was thinking, I don't really have any horror tales.....until I came across this post! Why, oh why, would anyone put spaghetti hoops in a pie, it was horrid! Makes my stomach churn just thinking about it.

Better memories, the caramel cake, how delish?

The cleaner in my office also works as a Dinner Lady and occassionally smuggles us some cakes, oh how the memories flood back when you taste them!
little lane
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Fireman » Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:00 pm

You know, looking back I don't know how we survived school dinners!

When I think about all the fried food we were given in the 1960's and what is being said today I'm surprised I got past my 35th birthday without a heart attack.

Maybe they knew something back then?
Fireman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:15 pm

I never went to dinner school at Primary, for home was only a short walk away. I did venture a couple of times to the dinner hall in Secondary school and thereafter used the services of the chip van outside the school or the local bakers. School dinners at Cleveden were not the best, but by some of the horror stories on this forum and others, they probably were not the worst either!

There were no dinner monitors, such things in our school would not have worked. What you did have was acts of sabotage (check spelling of this sometime) when we would loosen the top of the salt cellar and wait for the next poor sod to use it. Little tip, to this day when I eat out - I always check the salt cellar before adding the "sprinkles."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DickyHart » Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:23 pm

i was a dinny monitor, used to get paid in extra custard
Is this gonna be a standup fight, sir, or another bughunt?
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Marie MacDonald McLaughlin Lawrie finally outed

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:27 pm

theduke wrote:Was at St Annes Primary in David St, what I remember was that it seemed that most of us who stayed in Dennistoun went home for lunch, while the Barrowfield pupils all got school dinners. They used to call us the DS (Dennistoun Snobs), when in reality we were anything but ::): !!

Aye Right!

Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby theduke » Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:06 pm

Fair point Dexter, her accent does my head in :evil: ::): !!!
Sixty Seconds In Kingdom Come
theduke
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby pwm437 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:55 pm

DickyHart wrote:i was a dinny monitor, used to get paid in extra custard

Bet ye hud a free ticket tae boot
pwm437
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Previous

Return to Random Distractions