Identity Cards

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Apollo » Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:37 pm

SUSPECT NATION

Monday at 9 pm Nov 20th

More 4

Suspect Nation (Documentary)
The man who crossed swords with Tony Blair on civil liberties sets out to discover just how far the state is prepared to go to monitor the nation's movements in Suspect Nation. From CCTV cameras to internet searches and Oyster cards to iris scans, Observer columnist Henry Porter asks: How is information being collected? What is it being used for? And could new identity technology actually put at risk the very people it seeks to protect?
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:14 am

Now that the government have decided we also need a National Database to gather together all the info they can about everyone, and that it will be "secure", can we expect to have more phonecalls that go along the lines of this American one ordering a pizza:-

http://www.aclu.org/pizza/
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby John » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:15 am

They have now quietly decided to drop the IRIS scan from the biometric requirements as it is too costly. Unfortunately IRIS biometrics are the most reliable albeit the most technically challenging to implement.

They have also gone back on the stated promise to build a clean database and will now be using several pre-existing dirty databases which they intend to merge.

http://www.no2id.net/
http://www.nhsconfidentiality.org

JR
'It's a sad day for capitalism when a man can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park'
John
-
-

Postby John » Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:29 pm

The plot thickens:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6378999.stm

The PM now wants to permit police to go on fishing expeditions through the ID card database looking for fingerprint matches for unsolved crimes.

Now we can have a debate about whether this is a good thing or not but it was not part of the original parliamentary debate on ID cards.

I am very worried about where our democracy is going.

My voting intentions at the next election with be determined by opposition to this mad waste of money and political power grab.

John
'It's a sad day for capitalism when a man can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park'
John
-
-

Postby Apollo » Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:14 am

There's now a clear model of the current Government's technique for ensuring it can introduce legislation which the populace would vote against if given the outright truth. ID cards and Road Pricing/Congestion Charging seem to be the forerunners.

Create a need, make sure it has a moral argument that opponents can be shot down with, without needing justification e.g. What's your problem with ID Cards if you've nothing to hide; ID Cards fight terrorism; What's your problem with Road Pricing to reduce congestion now that we know the environmental damage (and don't forget the pioneering favourite: What's your problem with 'Safety Cameras' if you're not speeding).

And, as pointed out by JohnR, make promises, then forget (sorry, amend them, after the lesser proposals are accepted, so they can be restored to their original specification, which wasn't accepted.

I think its called 'politics' or sh....

And I don't think it's worth bothering about now, as the majority of the population seem to be boozed or drugged up nowadays, and happy to sleepwalk into the New Order without a care.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby wee nugget » Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:43 am

Apollo you live alone?
wee nugget
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Apollo » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:00 pm

Of course...

(Visitors aren't allowed to stay overnight)
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scaryman2u » Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:18 pm

[quote]=Apollo (Visitors aren't allowed to stay overnight)
Why... :?: :wink:
scaryman2u
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:44 am

scaryman2u wrote:
=Apollo (Visitors aren't allowed to stay overnight)

scary, please check here How to post using quotes

its the fourth one down :wink:
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scaryman2u » Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:12 pm

My Kitten wrote:
scaryman2u wrote:
=Apollo (Visitors aren't allowed to stay overnight)

scary, please check here How to post using quotes

its the fourth one down :wink:

Cheers MK :oops: It probably doesn`t help if one has had a few sherbets at the time of posting ones reply :wink:
scaryman2u
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Previous

Return to Random Distractions