Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby mustardman » Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:00 pm

One fine day in the middle of the night: Christopher Brookmyre
mustardman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby DMcNay » Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:14 pm

mustardman wrote:One fine day in the middle of the night: Christopher Brookmyre

Now that is a quality book. As are most of his.
Too few hours in the day.
DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby lordsleek » Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:30 pm

The Outram photo archive book. Brilliant photos of Scotland. Whats the story about posting any of them? :)
eeeeeewwwww whats that!
Can I touch it?
lordsleek
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mustardman » Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:49 pm

I get the feeling that the book will have some clever plot Dr Lightning!
mustardman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Sharon » Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:11 am

Now reading >>>

I'll let these people explain it a little

Bad Wisdom is what Drummond did on his holidays. With Mark Manning (a.k.a. gonzo-rocker Zodiac Mindwarp) and hard-man minder Gimpo, he left London in November 1992 to travel to the North Pole. Their logic was inescapable: as Zen Masters, the mystical forces invoked in leaving a portrait of Elvis at the top of the world would reveal the Baby Jesus and bring about the aforementioned global harmony. Simple.
Time and reality dissolved. Somewhere in the distance I could hear the theme tune of The Twilight Zone. . .

This unlikely triumvirate thunder across the tundra, consumed by both the quest and their increasing psychosis. It starts out easily enough with heavy drinking and cod philosophy, but soon the strangeness kicks-in and the shit - literally - starts to fly. In between arguments - Wordsworth versus Blake, Hughes or Burroughs - they meet a bevy of trainee supermodels on a train and fuck them. Then a battalion of ‘Nazi kung fu sex bitches with Rottweillers’ and fuck and kill them; a pattern emerges amongst the blood and sweat and the shit and the liquor and cum:
‘we were gonna free Willy, fuck chicks and slay dragons. We are Zen Masters and know what the fuck we are talking about.’

We look for precedents in Burroughs, de Sade, Stewart Home and, worst of all, Meng and Ecker. Lord Horror’s boot-boys are spiritual sherpas in our heroes’ odyssey as it plunges into sub-Burroughsian skits of scatological depravity, absurd sexual athletics and Bottomley-baiting violence. Necrophilia, rape, coprophilia, cannibalism, rum, sodomy and the lash. The narrative, alternating between Drummond and Manning, leaves no stone unturned, nothing beneath unbuggered or alive as they exorcise ‘the young man’s religion of rock’n’roll.’

This is a foul and disgusting text, scarred by humour so dark in its priapic splendour that ‘black’ scarcely covers it. Indeed, the book is only saved from schoolboy shock tactics by the obvious quality of its writing. For between bodily excretions, Manning and Drummond hit some surprisingly articulate passages and eloquent invention: like the latter’s explanation of Elvis’ place in his personal (anti-)canon, or The Chippendales as a holy order dedicated to duelling with darkness in the forms of Madonna and Rupert Murdoch.

http://www.theedge.abelgratis.co.uk/boo ... wisdom.htm

So far they have fucked and killed the Nazi kung fu sex bitches... its an odd one. The reflective truth and lies from Drummond and the twisted fantasies of Manning. Totally surreal. I'm loving it!!!
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Stoned 2

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:14 pm

Stoned 2 Andrew Loog Oldham's follow up to his original biography. Rather th an write it all himself he includes bits and pieces of comment, interviews and extracts from other biographies giving other participants ' views about the events he's writing about.

It is a book about swinging London in the sixties but I'm at the section where George Gallagher of the Poets gives his views.

Recommended for sixties fans of fashion music and business.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nuttytigger » Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:21 pm

this month i have been mostly reading - The Graft by Martina Cole
nuttytigger
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby PlasticDel » Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:26 pm

I've been doing a power of reading lately. But here I find myself starting to read Bret Easton-Ellis' 'American Psycho'... Again!
PlasticDel
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby KonstantinL » Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:40 am

James Buchan 'The 39 Steps'
KonstantinL
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

39 Steps

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:46 pm

KonstantinL wrote:James Buchan 'The 39 Steps'

Is that a better version than John's;)

names in Novels never register in my brain so I prefer books with few characters.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Shazbat » Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:51 pm

Kate Elliot - 'The Crown of Stars' sextet.
Interesting sword and sorcery fable, and quite illuminating re. mediaeval religion.
Shazbat
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Vinny the Mackem » Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:00 pm

I have an awful habit of starting a book but never finishing it. So I'm currently half way through The Day of the Jackel, Animal Farm (not THAT film), Catch 22 and Mort. Although I've not picked any of those books up for ages and makes for very interesting reading when you get your characters mixed up!
Vinny the Mackem
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby MacKenzie79 » Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:27 pm

I just finished James Joyce' 'Ulysses' and have started William Burroughs 'Naked Lunch'
MacKenzie79
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby La Fenn » Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:46 pm

I'm in the process of reading Burning with Desire by Geoffery Batchen, and no it's not an erotic novel, it's an interesting book about photography.

I've got 100 other i've got to get through by september as well.
La Fenn
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby jim » Fri Aug 12, 2005 2:30 pm

'Comet in Moominland' Tove Jansson
'A Secret History of Consciousness' Gary Lachman
'The Hill of Dreams' Arthur Machen
'Camping and Woodcraft' Horace Kephart
'Place' Tacita Dean & Jeremy Millar
'Weirs Way' Tom Weir
'Writing on Drugs' Sadie Plant
a pair of stout boots, a stick, and away...
jim
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Random Distractions