Exam stress...

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Exam stress...

Postby RapidAssistant » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:58 pm

Folks - need some solace/advice here. Exam time is upon us soon - seeing my stepdaughter go through her Highers - jeez it's a trial helping dealing with someone who is still struggling with revision this late in the game, yet I know is perfectly capable of getting through it.

Personally it's bringing back all my memories 21 years ago of being in exactly the same position - parents giving you a hard time, teachers saying you aren't working hard enough, and you just trying to get through it among all the other stresses that you go through in your mid-teens. I don't know what line to take TBH, my instincts say just to leave her alone as she's mature to know what she needs to do and get on with it, yet at the same time feel a little frustrated she's not doing any work for it......anyone been in the same boat recently, or at the moment.....?
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Exam stress...

Postby RDR » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:33 pm

Yep, youngest of my three doing her Highers and I feel your pain.
More stress on her, as her big sisters did well and went on to University, the first in our family, so she feels she has to do as well as them.
She has her ups and downs and I tend to nudge her a bit now and again, by leaving wee hints about what she should be studying, like some past papers I have printed out for her.
She's just done two hours of Human Biology studying, tonight, so I can't complain and yesterday she went through 4 'how to pass' books, but other times she needs reminding that the Highers are only a few weeks away. Its difficult to strike a balance.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Exam stress...

Postby puddlesplasher » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:07 pm

IMHO leave them alone.

My eldest struggled at school or so I thought because of the way he was taught in Primary School. He had been taught our basic language skills utilising a method known as Jolly Phonetics ie. A = Annie Apple, B = Bouncy Ben, and C was Clever Cat etc. which was done away with within 2 years.

This led to the kids of his year being unable to pronounce a combination of letters such as sh, ch and th. Words were harder for him to break down into easy syllables and this meant his reading suffered of which it carried on like this into Secondary School.

I stupidly believed that he was not applying himself though all his subjects were coming back with excellent grades. This was due to the kids being allowed to use PCs with spell checks for their work. He was constantly on his PC chatting and playing the usual games like World of Warcraft and Call of Duty which again was not to my liking but there was a twist to the tale.

All his time on the computer had seen him developing hidden skills of which I had very little knowledge and yet proved highly important to him. His excellent results permitted him to go into 5th year and get his highers and then into 6th year for more highers as he knew himself what he wanted to do in life. Next he went to College and then used those grades to enter University for 3 years.

This little kid now had some pretty nifty qualifications in Computing and its asscociated branches. A few interviews later and 1 year unemployed from University seen IBM at Greenock asking him to attend for interview though he had not directly applied. This was a formality and the job was secured. Next move was into Glasgows trade area where he now manages the networks for several larger American companies and many others throughout Scotland.

His wages are more than mine as a "gaffer" within the Fire Service and hes only 24.

All this has been achieved by the wee guy that I thought was struggling at school.

Never underestimate our kids because sometimes they know exactly what they are doing. Just because you and I don't see it doesn't mean they don't,
puddlesplasher
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Return to Random Distractions