Glasgow Driving Maneuvers...

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Glasgow Driving Maneuvers...

Postby RapidAssistant » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:20 pm

OK - following on from Octavia's rant about bad driving - it's time to come clean folks. Lets wind each other up with our favorite short-cuts, rat runs and the odd cheeky manoeuvres to get to where we are going...and lets prove we don't all drive VW Golfs...lets keep it Glasgow-centric of course.

I'm not asking people to own up to anything illegal (do so at your own risk...I don't know how many HG contributors used to work for the constabulary!)

So for example: the M8 between J17 and J18 westbound. If traffic is heavy and you're in a hurry, nip out into the far right lane and get past as much as you can - keep your eyes peeled for a slow moving artic and nip in front. Time it properly and you've gained at least a quarter of a mile. Don't be greedy though, or you will be up the sliproad into Charing Cross.
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Glasgow Driving Maneuvers...

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:21 pm

And that's no secret manoeuvre but one that's cost endless accidents and chaos for traffic waiting and I've seen the police pull many a driver for doing exactly that. I used to travel that road twice a day, every day. It is the same with all those who head for the West Graham Street cut off and then skip into the inside lane to rejoin the main carriageway of the M8.

I've seen that done at the Expressway and other roads, it's bad driving, poor driving and without fail, when a driver is stopped the traffic cop usually asks the guy (invariably a guy) 'what makes you so special that the rules of the highway don't apply to you?' Heard it and seen it so many times on both those roads...

My friend in 'traffic' claims that each one he catches flouting the laws at that junction, he goes over their car with a fine tooth comb - just one wiper blade, brake light bulb, bald tyre or no water in window bottle washer and he's over them totting up points and pounds....
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Random Distractions