east kilbride

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

east kilbride

Postby octavia » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:58 am

scotbeef,had a processing factory , right in the middle of two housing estates ,ie, st.leonards and calderwood,around 1970s and early 1980s . almost in the centre of new town ,East Kilbride,does anyone remember the stink, and the pollution in the Brancumhall burn ,and when ,on occasion the odd cow escaped causing mayem about the streets .
octavia
First Stripe
First Stripe

Re: east kilbride

Postby Tenderise » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:55 pm

I remember that place well - One time we went there with a few people from school to collect a bag of eyes for biology dissection. The closer you got to the place the stronger the smell...
Tenderise
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby octavia » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:01 am

smells, apart from scotbeef ,anyone ever been down the glen ,aka calderwood glen , the river aptly known as the rotten calder, after heavy rainfall ,well it stinks ,been fishing at sandy bay on that river ,river was in spate ,about september, caught 3 decent brown trout on the worm ,tried cooking and eating one ..tasted of petrol or turps .......... hope the sepa lot have sorted it by now.
octavia
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby HelenD » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:34 pm

There's a decent walk to be had along the glen.
They boil them for 20 of their Earth minutes
HelenD
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby octavia » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:20 am

yes,Helen it is a very good walk indeed, goes from auldhouse all the way down to Blantyre. Done it many times since way back when? .think I was doggin school the first time ,about 1977/78. The area has become very overgown and eroded over time but you can still follow the original pathways,dates way back to the old Calderwood Castle estates. I have learned loads of history of the place over the past 30 odd years of exploring the place,still lots to find out though.
octavia
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby HelenD » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:17 pm

If I remember rightly, Calderwood Castle used to sit on a promontory overlooking the river and the few bits that remain are now overgrown. You can find pictures of it online and I think the Morrisons supermarket at the far end of Stewartfield Road has a large picture of it. I think the royal marines demolished it in the fifties with the help of a few fireworks.
They boil them for 20 of their Earth minutes
HelenD
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Random Distractions