Fire without a smoke?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Fire without a smoke?

Postby DesignerMonkey » Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:29 am

http://www.theherald.co.uk/politics/23171.html

Mconnell was over here in Dublin yesterday, and must have enjoyed his smoke free pint very muchly. He's thinkin' 'maybe we should too'.
Can you imagine coming home from a night out in Glasgow, and not reekin' of smoke? I thought the Oirish would have fought it, but they didn't. Will Scotland bow as well? Thoughts? Opinions? Rants?
The Jungle? Yeah, I do kinda miss it...but it's nice to get off the food chain, y'know?
DesignerMonkey
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby cumbo » Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:09 am

The problem without the smoke in pubs is the other smells that it hides
IE farts and old pee scented men.This is the new problem facing the Irish.
:D
cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sylvia » Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:20 am

When I was a child my father went to the pub on a Saturday evening for the last hour.He always wore 'his pub jacket'.It has just dawned on me now why he had a special jacket.

Yeah.....I know....a bit slow on the uptake. :oops:
Time waits for nobody.
Sylvia
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Gazzathecoigne » Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:30 am

Being a smoker I can see both sides of the coin. Can't imagine going for a session in the local and having to pop outside every 10 minutes or so, as when your bevvying you tend to smoke even more.

On the other hand, I can fully understand people not wanting to go home smelling of the stuff iether. It'll take some getting used to I'm sure especially when I'm giging and can't light up.

I suppose that Eire was as good a place to try it after Glasgow, same kind of drinking working class culture. If they can adapt I'm sure we can, but it's just another vice the man's trying to take away imo.
If no body's perfect, why practise?
Gazzathecoigne
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sharon » Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:34 am

Being an ex-smoker I am super sensitive to smoke now and i HATE it.

After a night out, if the pub has been smoky, well its not just the smell...i feel like death with lungs choked full of gunk. Its just nasty.

That said pubs do tend to smell like puke if its not masked by smike. Its a tricky balanace to find.

Also, there are soooooooooooooo many constraints put on uus now....should we be adding another one?
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby DesignerMonkey » Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:05 am

Cumbo has a point - my favourite old boozer in Dublin now could certainly do with some deodorant for the old fellas that sit there all day.
But I'm basically for the ban. Never smoked but got a major smokers laugh from working in good old Brunswick cellars for years - probably got terminal lung cancer waitin' in the wings in return for that windowless, air-con free stint.
You take your chances in bar work, but I wouldn't do it again.
The Jungle? Yeah, I do kinda miss it...but it's nice to get off the food chain, y'know?
DesignerMonkey
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Sharon » Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:15 am

When did you work in Brunwicks DM? Because you may well know my flatmates! Small city and all that...
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby kn0wledge » Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:22 am

I hate smoke too. I hate people smoking on the bus, in pubs, in restaurants and even on the street. I hate the smell of it, I hate the smell afterwards and I don't want to get cancer.

I spent the summer in Hamilton, Ontario, where they have just banned smoking in all public places, and it makes going out at night so much more enjoyable.

Smokers who light up in public should be arrested for reckless endangerment of others' lives.
Eat a ham for Jesus.
kn0wledge
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DesignerMonkey » Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:50 am

Sharon wrote:When did you work in Brunwicks DM? Because you may well know my flatmates! Small city and all that...

Maybe I do at that Sharon...the damage to my lungs was done between 95 - 98, and the candles probably didn't help either.
Despite that, got the fondest of memories of the wee stinkhole still. If they remember Marc from then, then it is indeed a small city!
DesignerMonkey
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby cumbo » Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:55 am

I can see the law being forced in pubs restaurants easy enough but
try any late night bus in Glasgow
There are 600 'smoke police' in Ireland it would take that many to police the Glasgow busses alone and it might be an idea to arm them! 8)
cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:17 pm

Im a smoker, I enjoy somking, I enjoy smoking various different substances. Alright its dangerous to your health, but what isnt may I ask? UER can be dangerous, breathing in traffic fumes is certainly dangerous, radiation from micro-wave sources is *thought to be dangerous, caffeine is dangerous, walking down certain streets in Glasgow is dangerous... should we just ban everything?

I agree that there should be places wher people who dont smoke can go, but why shouldI be discriminated against because i am unfortunately addicted to nicotene.

Be careful Scotland, I can see this all getting out of hand, soon there'll be no smoking in public places, and soon after that no talking and no drinking. We dont all need nurse-maiding, its my choice to smoke as it is all your choice to drive cars.

Think about it.
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby kn0wledge » Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:24 pm

Talking and drinking in public places doesn't increase everyone around you's risk of getting cancer, and smoking is not essential to the infrastructure of the UK ;>
Last edited by kn0wledge on Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eat a ham for Jesus.
kn0wledge
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby duncan » Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:36 pm

crusty_bint wrote:UER can be dangerous, breathing in traffic fumes is certainly dangerous, radiation from micro-wave sources is *thought to be dangerous, caffeine is dangerous, walking down certain streets in Glasgow is dangerous... should we just ban everything?

while i respect your right to drink coffee in your own home, please don't allow your carcinogenic, stinky caffeine-infected fumes near me please while i'm enjoying a glass of water. oh wait, wrong drug. feel free to kill yourself with whatever drugs you like, just don't inflict that shit on the rest of us.
duncan
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:53 pm

I agree with what you say Duncan, but everyone elses carcinogenic traffic fumes, carcinogenic radiation from everyone elses mobile phones and elicricity supplies are inflicted on me... its my right to smoke a fag in the street and wherever its permitted.

And before anyone starts all about the cost to the NHS, in addition to my National Insurance contributions, and the tax i pay on my fags I pay for my own hesalthcare privately and have done so since i was 17.

Zeich Heil! :roll:
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby duncan » Wed Sep 01, 2004 1:05 pm

crusty_bint wrote:I agree with what you say Duncan, but everyone elses carcinogenic traffic fumes, carcinogenic radiation from everyone elses mobile phones and elicricity supplies are inflicted on me... its my right to smoke a fag in the street and wherever its permitted.

IIRC, the tax on fags more than outweighs the cost of treatment and palliative care to the NHS. not sure what the economic implications are of a workforce taking more sick time and with the inevitable reduced average lifespan though.

FWIW, I don't inflict mobile phone radiation or vehicle fumes on anyone either!
duncan
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Random Distractions