RBYes ????

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

RBYes ????

Postby ibtg » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:47 am

I am in the unfortunate(?) position of not owing any money to anyone. So I find that when I apply for a credit card, because I have no 'credit history', I get a knock-back. Now, I wanted to shop on ebay, buy things online and I like the insurance you get when payng for large items by credit card; so what do I do?

The easy answer was to get myself added as a secondary account holder to a credit card belonging to my other half. That went smoothly, and for years I have been using that card, with my name on it, perfectly happily. I clear the balance every month by going in to my local RBYes with a cheque from my own bank account (not RBYes).

This month I am told at RBNo, that because the bill is sent to the principal account holder, I can't pay it any more without producing the said credit card with my name on. Okay, sez I, bit of a palaver - what I will do is phone RBYes and ask if they can send the bill in future to both account holders in the address line...... answer ? - RBNo. :x

Is this to do with money-laundering?? I'm going to ask the bank next time I go in with my card in one hot little hand and the cheque and bill in the other.
www.mycityglasgow.co.uk
ibtg
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: RBYes ????

Postby sandabound » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:33 pm

Get the main account holder to ask for the bill to be in both names & use Paypal for ebay, seemples :D
sandabound
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby ibtg » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:08 pm

I use Paypal on ebay (don't get any choice these days, really) and it is linked to the same credit card.

RBNo said the bill could only be sent to the principal account holder.

I'll just take my card with me when I pay, until they come up with some other objection!!
www.mycityglasgow.co.uk
ibtg
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Avenger » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:37 pm

Can you not pay on line, I have a RBS credit card, paid on line using a non RBS account.
Avenger
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby ibtg » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:47 pm

I am a luddite, Avenger. I don't do online banking.

I do every purchase, payment and transaction that I need to do online via this credit card. Keeps everything together and simple. Also, I like the protection / insurance aspect when using the card.

Apparently, I have now been told, I can set up a Direct Debit to pay the bill straight from my account in another bank - how is that different from me paying it at the counter with a cheque?

Or I can put it in the box with the deposit slip and the cheque and that is acceptable - perhaps this ought to be in the 'Is it just me?' thread!! :roll:

Maybe they just don't like my face............ :D
www.mycityglasgow.co.uk
ibtg
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dot » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:35 pm

I am in RBS/Nat West Group and have credit and debit cards with them.
The main advantage with online banking is it means payment is made instantly.
You can choose what day and time you wish to make payment without having to leave your home.

You still have a choice of whether to make exact payment, other amount or minimum payment due.
It also means you can view statements and not have to wait for bill to come in the post.
There is no worry about bank being shut and apart from problems RBS had last year with their computers
it works well.

I think banks are trying to discourage people from paying bills by going into branch and number of people using cheques is getting fewer and fewer.
My bank got me started with online banking otherwise I might still have paid in person.
Dot
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:35 pm

Gone are the days when you used to stand in ques, my local RBS branch shut down recently on paisley rd toll, i used the branch for over 25 years, over the last 5 years since i went online lucky if i've went to the branch maybe once/twice a year only if i had to to cash an odd cheque or 2.

Online banking is the way forward as Dot says,its so flexible and you can pay what you want when you want and avoid opening and closing times, no filling in payslips and tryin to hide your cash/cheques from the person standing behind you. :D
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Random Distractions