Bloody Bikes !!

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Bloody Bikes !!

Postby hillbilly » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:01 pm

Was out earlier today with missus a wee cycle to Bowling along the canal. Just before Bowling bike and self parted company. Now have right arm in a sling a very painful shoulder my wrist staved and two little fingers cut / swollen. My pinkie already missing top part and has a steel pin in it. A huge bruise on Right leg between knee / thigh. Left shin sporting huge gash/ bruise. Still an all a nice day for a cycle groaaannn.....
THE MASTER OF THE CARAVAN :
But who are ye in rags and rotten shoes,
You dirty-bearded, blocking up the way?

THE PILGRIMS :
We are the Pilgrims, master; we shall go
Always a little further:
hillbilly
First Stripe
First Stripe

Re: Bloody Bikes !!

Postby yoker brian » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:59 pm

hillbilly wrote:Was out earlier today with missus a wee cycle to Bowling along the canal. Just before Bowling bike and self parted company. Now have right arm in a sling a very painful shoulder my wrist staved and two little fingers cut / swollen. My pinkie already missing top part and has a steel pin in it. A huge bruise on Right leg between knee / thigh. Left shin sporting huge gash/ bruise. Still an all a nice day for a cycle groaaannn.....

Aye and Chris bloody Hoy & Co would have you believe that cycling is meant to be good & healthy for you!
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:14 pm

Aye but just think how good you'll feel once you're healed.....
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby the researcher » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:58 am

If its any consolation i came off my bike a few years ago while riding my racer and carrying an argos catalogue which decided to have an arguement with my front wheel it jammed between the inside of the fork and the wheel locking it up putting me over the handlebars
My face hit the ground and was badly grazed i banged my right shoulder and broke my watch i also broke/staved the small finger on my left hand but didnt go to hospital and now have whats called a hammer finger apparently i should have had it strapped up to allow it to heal.
THE FLYING SCOT MADE BY RATTRAYS IN GLASGOW THE BEST BICYCLE EVER MADE
the researcher
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby banjo » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:53 pm

i cycled to bowling on tuesday....no mishaps to report though.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:45 pm

As a youngster, living in Drumchapel, myself and my friends regularly used to have time trials around the block that consisted of the loop that consisted of Jedworth Avenue and Rozelle avenue.

On one such "time trial" a friend, Jack Anderson, was in the lead, two places ahead of me .. he disappeared around the corner at a great rate of knots only to be followed by a loud scream and the unmistakable sounds of bicycle frame on concrete.

When the lassie in front of me (I know, beaten by a lassie!) turned the coner she let out a shriek! It was only after I myself turned the corner I realised we were confronted by the sight of Jack, lying in a crumpled heap of cheap Halfords' racer (these were pre mountain bike days), with his head firmly rammed in-between the spokes of his own front wheel.

He couldn't say how it happened . .and to this day - neither can I.

Still raises a smile though.
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:13 pm

About 50 years ago, when I was 8, an elderly aunt bought me me first proper bicycle. My Dad, a keen cyclist in his youth, did a bit of work getting it back into good order, sorting the brakes and so on.

One of my pals borrowed it for a run up and down the street across the road from our house. He braked hard and went over the handlebars, banging his head and knocking himself out for a few seconds. It was never mentioned in front of any of our parents.

About 40 years later he was found dead in his bed having suffered a brain haemorrhage in the night. I've no idea if the two matters were connected but I wonder if some medical attention back when we were weans could have made a difference.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hungryjoe » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:30 pm

I'm thinking of cycling to and from work. thing is, I haven't been on a bike since my teens and I have an extremely dodgy knee to worry about should I fall off. I desperately need the exercise and can't run at all and my walking is pretty limited. I think I'll bite the bullet and get a bike.
Multi dinero, multi ficky fick, multi divorce.
hungryjoe
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:21 am

Check The Bike Station on a Saturday morning.

http://www.thebikestation.org.uk/glasgow/

I'm back on the Scot and have stayed on board for a year. When I took the Focus out the pedals required shoes with cleats to lock your foot to the pedal which meant more falls in six months than a life time of cycling.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:33 pm

hungryjoe wrote:I'm thinking of cycling to and from work. thing is, I haven't been on a bike since my teens and I have an extremely dodgy knee to worry about should I fall off. I desperately need the exercise and can't run at all and my walking is pretty limited. I think I'll bite the bullet and get a bike.

From the fitness point of view I'd recommend it.
I got one earlier this year, and with a heart condition, have found it by far the best way to exercise.
I just couldn't do jogging and the special cardiac gym you get sent too at Wishaw, only runs on a weekday afternoon which is useless for someone who is working.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hungryjoe » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:48 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:Check The Bike Station on a Saturday morning.

Thanks Dex, I had already bookmarked the site. What's so special about Saturdays? They're open from Tuesday to Sunday., unless I misread something - I was at work so maybe I did.
RDR wrote:
I got one earlier this year, and with a heart condition, have found it by far the best way to exercise.
I just couldn't do jogging and the special cardiac gym you get sent too at Wishaw, only runs on a weekday afternoon which is useless for someone who is working.

My only worry is that while at the physiotherapy gym, I always got 10 minutes on the exercise bike to warm up, and 10 minutes to warm down and it always left me with a sore back. I suppose getting the right size, tweaked to suit me would make a difference.
Multi dinero, multi ficky fick, multi divorce.
hungryjoe
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:09 pm

They sold the bikes on a Saturday but after checking the web site they now sell them when they're open.

Maybe we can get an HG cycle team together.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BTJustice » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:57 pm

hungryjoe wrote:My only worry is that while at the physiotherapy gym, I always got 10 minutes on the exercise bike to warm up, and 10 minutes to warm down and it always left me with a sore back. I suppose getting the right size, tweaked to suit me would make a difference.

I do a lot of cycling and when I went for mine I tried a lot of frame sizes to be able to get comfortable. I ended up with a 23inch frame mountain bike with bar ends to give me a couple of different riding positions.
My all new film location website is here;
www.rewoundandfound.com

Check oot ma flickr page;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/route9autos/

For handmade jewellery, go to:
http://www.weegemjo.co.uk
BTJustice
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hillbilly » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:48 am

I must admit I have cycled on and off for years. A great way to keep fit it complemented my other pastime of climbing and hillwalking. Once you get used to it you will cycle to work in any weather other than icy conditions like the last bad winter spells we have had. Cycling around the cities these days can be pretty daunting. Unless you cycle "boldly" car drivers etc will practically run you off the road.
i've seen the guy on Youtube. A doctor in the Southern I think. He cycles with a helmet camera and is always arguing with car drivers. I don't cycle like him myself but you cannot let some drivers intimidate you. I drove for a living and as a cyclist and driver you know it from both sides. It's some of the car drivers who probably have never ridden a bike in urban areas who make cycling a dangerous game. As for my recent fall off the bike ,well it was probably not the best bike to be on. It was a very light mountain bike my son left me when went out to New Zealand. So I think I will treat myself a newer one that fits me. I think a hybrid bike is a good choice.
also the idea of an HG cycle club is not such a daft idea. On any nice Sat/Sun there are dozens of cyclists using the Clyde walkways from the city centre all the way to Balloch along the canal etc.
THE MASTER OF THE CARAVAN :
But who are ye in rags and rotten shoes,
You dirty-bearded, blocking up the way?

THE PILGRIMS :
We are the Pilgrims, master; we shall go
Always a little further:
hillbilly
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby RDR » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:01 pm

hungryjoe wrote:
Dexter St. Clair wrote:Check The Bike Station on a Saturday morning.

Thanks Dex, I had already bookmarked the site. What's so special about Saturdays? They're open from Tuesday to Sunday., unless I misread something - I was at work so maybe I did.
RDR wrote:

My only worry is that while at the physiotherapy gym, I always got 10 minutes on the exercise bike to warm up, and 10 minutes to warm down and it always left me with a sore back. I suppose getting the right size, tweaked to suit me would make a difference.

Joe,
as others have said getting the right fit is important.
I bought mine at Decathlon by the Fort and I have to say the assistant there went out for their way to make sure the bike was the right size for me.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Random Distractions