Forum contributions and conduct...

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Forum contributions and conduct...

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:13 am

I visit this site daily along with other Glasgow themed forums and I’ve noticed that over the last few months some ‘well known’ contributors have vanished.

Sadly, I’ve also noticed that some contributors regularly insult new posters or there is a continuing feud between some and one would almost be lulled into thinking that those same contributors deliberately stalk each other. Sadly, over the years that I’ve been part of this forum there are a very small minority who appear to hijack, overly criticise or just diminish the whole thread and before you know it the thread comes to an abrupt end.

I’m not thin skinned but it is becoming tiresome to come into a thread about X, Y or Z and see that once again a feud or snide comment has once again brought it down. I am sure that’s not the intended ethos of this forum or any other.
Is there a solution to this other than the old ‘if you don’t like it, don’t watch it’ approach? In the meantime what was one of the best forums on the web is suffering and that’s a bloody shame.
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Forum contributions and conduct...

Postby Boxer6 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:12 am

I've not been here all that long, really, but I can't help being in broad agreement with your post. It's a real shame, because some of these self-same posters can be extremely helpful and knowledgeable in many areas.

:?
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Boxer6
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:26 am

I'm a bit like Boxer in that I've not been here that long.
An awful lot of the stuff described by Delmont goes over my head because I suspect that you need to know the individual issues and cliques to follow what's going on in some cases, but I'm not that clear that some of the Mods conduct helps either, even if clearly some of the stuff is a long running in house 'joke'.
For what its worth I don't find this forum any worse than many and quite a bit better than a lot and I have certainly found out some intersting stuff on the Glasgow of my youth, which is why I'm here in the first place.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:56 am

some of the stuff is tongue in cheek and some ends up in a mexican stand off.does it really become THAT offensive,i dont know.what i do know though is that some of the so called perpetrators can be the most genuine helpful people in real life and yes i am speaking from experience here.it is a great forum.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Monument » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:26 am

I am inclined to agree. For a forum whose one caveat is "behave and be nice" there is a lot of unpleasantness. I am thick skinned enough to ignore most of it, but not everyone is. And I think it must be very off-putting for new posters, who should be given the benefit of the doubt until they have got the hang of the place.
A vagabond on the way.
Monument
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vinny the Mackem » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:22 pm

I think this issue has been raised before, or I'm getting significant deja vu, but I think it must be tremendously off putting for a new poster to be given the standard "have you tried search ... have you tried Google" responses, when the person may well have done. For what it's worth, I've always found the search facility on this and other similar forums awkward to navigate and, if you are a novice computer user, probably impossible.

I'm also quite sure that folk who are posting such questions have used Google. It's probably how they found this forum in the first place.
Vinny the Mackem
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Bridie » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:59 pm

I'm an admin on another Forum and from my experience it's a pain having multiple threads with the same topic so I can understand the need to search.
If a newbie starts a thread thats already in the vaults then a mod will answer with the link and a polite explanation.

I can see how some new posters might be put off by some of the "oldies" and their ways but I stuck it out because i think it's a wonderful, informative site and now I find it all a laugh.

Where's Josef these days?
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:12 pm

I do believe that this is one of the best forums of its kind (there are one or two Glasgow themed forums that are nearly as good) and many of the contributors and their contributions are great for the commonweal of this site. The problem is when threads get hijacked and when you come in daily and see the same folks 'jumping on others' or 'twisting their words' it becomes tedious and there is no incentive to follow the thread.

The real issue for me is through the course of time, with the same old, same old happening - I get bored and switch off and probably won't visit and once I get into the habit of not doing something (I've done this with other Glasgow based sites) and never returned. If that's what I do - what do others do?
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:43 pm

Delmont St Xavier wrote:I do believe that this is one of the best forums of its kind (there are one or two Glasgow themed forums that are nearly as good) and many of the contributors and their contributions are great for the commonweal of this site. The problem is when threads get hijacked and when you come in daily and see the same folks 'jumping on others' or 'twisting their words' it becomes tedious and there is no incentive to follow the thread.

The real issue for me is through the course of time, with the same old, same old happening - I get bored and switch off and probably won't visit and once I get into the habit of not doing something (I've done this with other Glasgow based sites) and never returned. If that's what I do - what do others do?

Much the same, but I've stuck with this site as the advantages still are better than the disadvantages.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:55 pm

Bridie wrote:Where's Josef these days?

Who give's a fuck? He's a twat.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby John » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:03 pm

'It's a sad day for capitalism when a man can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park'
John
-
-

Postby RDR » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:14 pm

....so for a simple person like me what are you trying to say?
Or am I having one of my woosh moments?
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:23 pm

HollowHorn wrote:

How very dare you?

If he is a twat, he's an upper tier twat! :wink:

Except he's not a twat.

He's alright, is oor Sef. :D
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:37 pm

HollowHorn wrote:

See!! it's the "sugar coated" sarcasm that throws people :wink: ...saved by a smiley
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:13 pm

Actually, he's on his hole.

Shit!

No!

He's on his holidays.

Phew!
HollowHorn