Crispy Rolls and Chopped Ham & Pork / SPAM?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Crispy Rolls and Chopped Ham & Pork / SPAM?

Postby banjo » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:59 pm

margarine is the devils work.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:31 pm

banjo wrote:margarine is the devils work.

Actually I thought Unilever made it.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fireman » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:31 pm

banjo wrote:margarine is the devils work.

And it was extra goopy as well - it'll probably still be sticking to my heart valves! :twisted:
You can take the man out of Maryhill, but you can't take Maryhill out of the man.
Fireman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:15 pm

I popped into my local Keystore for some butter for rolls for my brother the other week (I can't thole the stuff myself) and found them selling the highly promising sounding "butter-like spread". :/
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:35 am

no buts it got to be butter.there is no substitute.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fireman » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:47 pm

Crispy rolls & chopped ham and pork this morning from Edgefauld Rd - mmmmmmmmmmm! 8)

Partick I reckon next week, then I can do a comparison.

(Jeesus, how small my world has become since I retired out of the fire brigade - I used to get excited over people leaping out of tenement windows, now I get excited over crispy rolls! :)!)
You can take the man out of Maryhill, but you can't take Maryhill out of the man.
Fireman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:15 pm

Better crispy rolls than crispy people.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Morroccomole » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:51 pm

Fireman wrote:Crispy rolls & chopped ham and pork this morning from Edgefauld Rd - mmmmmmmmmmm! 8)

Partick I reckon next week, then I can do a comparison.

(Jeesus, how small my world has become since I retired out of the fire brigade - I used to get excited over people leaping out of tenement windows, now I get excited over crispy rolls! :)!)

Nothing wrong wi a well fired roll 8O
Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.
Morroccomole
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Bridie » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:54 pm

Fireman wrote:Woohoo - I got to Edgefauld Road this morning and succumbed to the temptress of thick, freshly sliced corned beef on 2 crispy rolls with just the right thickness of marg! :D

Arrived at work and immedately got the kettle on, switched the computer on - made a giant mug of black tea with three, count them, three sugars, no sweeteners today and sat at my desk at 8.15 this morning having an early lunch.

Worth every penny of the £2.90, but I'm going to have to ration myself, after all you CAN have too much of a good thing - roll on Wednesday, literally! 8)

::): ::):
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:18 am

the egg man...............i salute you for your last post. ::):
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:45 pm

Oooft! :D
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby the researcher » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:59 pm

I can remember the rolls fireman is talking about the Shields Road Dairy used to sell them did a lot of morning trade with workers from Howdens the engineering works.
If i remember correctly they used to be on bread boards and you could smell the rolls, the rolls we get here in Cupar are terrible they are just soft dough you cant even cut them open properly they are that soft.
Only place you can get simlair rolls is in a wee supermarket at the other side of the town from where i stay, like fireman i miss a decent roll to put a square sausage on but for some reason Lidl have stopped selling them instead concentrating on beefburgers probably because its barbecue season which at present it isnt as weve had nothing but rain recently, its not that the sausage werent a seller the freezer used to empty very quickly as it was 99p for a pack of 14 slices frozen.
Maybe Lidl will get them back in again but they have an awful habit of withdrawing items that are good sellers an item such as the dog biscuits which were cheaper than Tesco were withdrawn from sale and i think most dogs in Cupar were fed them as they were such a good seller.
THE FLYING SCOT MADE BY RATTRAYS IN GLASGOW THE BEST BICYCLE EVER MADE
the researcher
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby dingdong » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:51 pm

Years back me and the mates after a few pints in Lock 27 would walk down to the old Mortons roll factory chap door the bakers would sell the rolls hot from the oven and plenty of butter on them. :D :D
dingdong
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Fireman » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:36 am

The best memory I have is as a small boy in Largs staying with my Granny being sent in the morning to Mrs Rumbles (or was that the dairy owner in Claredon St, I can't remember!), the local dairy for 4 well-fired crispy rolls, a 1/4 of corned beef and a pat of fresh butter for breakfast .

On my return my gran would scoop out the soft interior of her rolls as she swore it always gave her indigestion, but she said that with much associated drama and face contortions, crush them flat with shards of dark crispy roll shooting across the table and then we'd sit down to hot, sugary tea and the rolls and corned beef.

When I gave my wife that combination for the first time for breakfast you'd have thought I'd grown two heeds, she'd never heard of it, but still managed to scoff the lot! ::):
Fireman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby review93 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:47 pm

food was quite nice unfortunately the staff were argumentative and just plain rude i recommend the food if you dont mind being insulted.

yours honestly S.
review93
Just settling in
Just settling in

Previous

Return to Random Distractions