Latest project, 1967 VW beetle restoration.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Latest project, 1967 VW beetle restoration.

Postby mercury » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:45 pm

Cheers, even my VW nut son couldn't tell me. :wink:
mercury
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby BTJustice » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:10 pm

Its been a bit quiet on this thread for a few weeks. Incase you didnt know I lost my storage so have been dealing with 20 years worth of parts and accessories but I did make time for Fester on Saturday.

2 weeks ago I wanted to try and sort out a niggle with the brakes.

I tried to adjust the shoes but the adjusters were seized solid. So I removed all the drums, replaced the adjusters and when the drums were back on I got all the shoes adjusted nicely.

There was a wee bit of spongyness on the pedal so set about re-bleeding the system.

First cylinder went well but when I did the next the pedal was firm after I closed the nipple then after a few presses the pedal dropped to the floor. I has suspicions the master cylinder was an unknown quantity but decided to be better safe than sorry and ordered a new on.

Jump to this Saturday and fuel tank out, new master cylinder fitted and back to bleeding the brakes.

Looks like this was a good decision as once the brakes were bled the pedal travel is reduced, the pedal goes solid and there is not the worry of it failing.

Dave.
My all new film location website is here;
www.rewoundandfound.com

Check oot ma flickr page;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/route9autos/

For handmade jewellery, go to:
http://www.weegemjo.co.uk
BTJustice
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Boxer6 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:27 pm

Well done on that; bleeding brakes was always my biggest hate back when I did such things!
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Boxer6
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BTJustice » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:29 pm

I was quite lucky as all the bleed nipples were new so not stuck. I usually find the job gets 100 times worse when the nipples are seized then snap off.

The first clue that the master cylinder was goosed came when I had the wheels bled then the pedal lost all pressure undoing the previous hours work.
www.rewoundandfound.com

BTJustice
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Boxer6 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:51 pm

BTJustice wrote:I was quite lucky as all the bleed nipples were new so not stuck. I usually find the job gets 100 times worse when the nipples are seized then snap off.

The first clue that the master cylinder was goosed came when I had the wheels bled then the pedal lost all pressure undoing the previous hours work.

One of my first cars was a Mk.1 Golf I bought when it was 9 or 10 years old. It had an auto-choke which never went off, and a poxy wee 1.1 engine! Anyway, that got sold after the m/c failed going down one of the steepest hills in Kirky; the main seal had gone, but the replacement kit I got didn't cure it.

I sold the car with the m/c sitting on the passenger seat to a guy who wanted it for his wife to use as a hay transporter (for her horses) with the proviso I drove it down to his mechanic to be fixed; that was probably the scariest 2 and a bit miles of motoring I think I've ever had!! 8O
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Boxer6
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BTJustice » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:56 pm

Boxer6 wrote:
BTJustice wrote:I was quite lucky as all the bleed nipples were new so not stuck. I usually find the job gets 100 times worse when the nipples are seized then snap off.

One of my first cars was a Mk.1 Golf I bought when it was 9 or 10 years old. It had an auto-choke which never went off, and a poxy wee 1.1 engine! Anyway, that got sold after the m/c failed going down one of the steepest hills in Kirky; the main seal had gone, but the replacement kit I got didn't cure it.

I sold the car with the m/c sitting on the passenger seat to a guy who wanted it for his wife to use as a hay transporter (for her horses) with the proviso I drove it down to his mechanic to be fixed; that was probably the scariest 2 and a bit miles of motoring I think I've ever had!! 8O

Its a horrible feeling. I had a brake hose let go im my old Audi coming down the hill on Carmunnock road a few years ago.

Pedal straight to the floor and I was in an automatic so had to use the handbrake and keep pumping the pedal in the hope the hill finished before the brake fluid ran out.
www.rewoundandfound.com

BTJustice
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Boxer6 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:41 pm

BTJustice wrote:
Boxer6 wrote:

Its a horrible feeling. I had a brake hose let go im my old Audi coming down the hill on Carmunnock road a few years ago.

Pedal straight to the floor and I was in an automatic so had to use the handbrake and keep pumping the pedal in the hope the hill finished before the brake fluid ran out.

Same here! The only slight plus in my case was being able to bang the 'box into first and have that help! Still a trouser-browning moment all the same. :)
Boxer6
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BTJustice » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:29 pm

Started the shakedown runs today now that the brakes are working properly.

Headed up the hill to the roads around Eaglesham, Waterfoot and Thornton hall and the wee car performed perfectly.

Imagefirst shake down run 1 by Dave Campbell, on Flickr

Imagefirst shake down run 6 by Dave Campbell, on Flickr

I think the front tyre pressures need adjusting as the steering was a little light and I need to check the accellerator pedal and cable as I didnt feel like I could get full throttle but still got up to full speed on the bypass.

Imagefirst shake down run 10 by Dave Campbell, on Flickr

Imagefirst shake down run 7 by Dave Campbell, on Flickr

Dave.

P.S. I know I talked about a Hidden Glasgow meet up at the riverside museum for anybody interested in seeing the car. I can still do this but my next few weekends are spoken for so if you can make it please come along and say hello at the Giffnock car show on Saturday September 2nd. Fester the Beetle and my Green Fastback will be on display somewhere in the village.
www.rewoundandfound.com

BTJustice
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Boxer6 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:26 pm

Aw pants, I'll be in Ayr all that weekend at the air show with some mates. :(

Anyway, Fester is looking very smart there Dave - I really am looking forward to seeing the car in the flesh (so to speak!)

By the way, is the fuel gauge sender u/s? Or some other issue? I don't remember you mentioning it, but my memory's not what it was!!
Boxer6
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BTJustice » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:06 pm

Thats a pity but if enough people are interested I will arrange to be at the Riverside an afternoon for folk to get a look.

Its first official show debut will be this Sunday at Volksfling, the VW owners show in Biggar so again, if anybody is in the area and wants to have a look come and say hello.

The fuel gauge is mechanical and not very accurate. When I was refitting it to the car I had 2 options. 1; set it so that it reads half full when its empty or 2; set it so that it reads empty when half full. I decided it was safer if it read empty before actually being empty.

As an aside, this car is whats called a Sparkafer. This was the cheapest Beetle in the range so it didnt come with a fuel gauge, thats been fitted later. What it does have is a reserve tap in the footwell. When the car starts to splutter as it runs out of fuel you flip the tap over and get an extra gallon to get to the petrol station where you must remember to flip the tap back after re-fuelling.

Dave.

P.S. Stay tuned for an announcement before the end of the week :wink:
www.rewoundandfound.com

BTJustice
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BTJustice » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:12 pm

Yesterday we were finishing off some small bits and bobs on Fester before taking him to the Volksfling Mk2 show in Biggar today.

7am this morning we moved cars about on the drive, checked oil levels and let Festers engine warm up a bit.

Given that the only time its been driven was 10 miles on country roads last Sunday I was feeling woefully unprepared for the hour drive down the motorway to Biggar but the wee bug performed great. Think I have a rumbly front wheel bearing so need to add that to the list but otherwise an uneventful cruise down the road.

Got to the show and entered it into the concourse competition in the main field and at around 2pm were rewarded with a winners rosette. We had won something but wouldnt find out what until the prize giving at 3:30.

We were so proud to pick up the award for best paint. The work that Ed (rodntod) and Johnny put into the paint was exceptional and we are so thankful to them for making Fester a show winner.

Then, completely unexpected we were honored with the award for Best in show. What can we say, we were flabbergasted and Joanne is still buzzing. She even got over here nerves to collect the award;

First post below is a video, click the box to view.

Imagejojo wins by Dave Campbell, on Flickr

ImageFester wins best paint and best in show. by Dave Campbell, on Flickr

ImageFester wins best paint and best in show. by Dave Campbell, on Flickr

We never at any point expected to win anything so this feels amazing and a great end (not that its ever really finished) to the seven year restoration.

Huge thanks again to Ed and Johnny and to the Volksfling crew and I hope everybody who has stuck with the build has enjoyed the journey.

If you are out this way next Saturday we will have Fester and the Fastback at the Giffnock classic car show on September 2nd so drop by and say hello and get a look.

Dave.
www.rewoundandfound.com

BTJustice
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:04 am

Congratulations!

She has stunning bodywork indeed and the car is equally good mate... ::): ::): ::): ::):

Seriously, well done with the award, it is well deserved.
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Boxer6 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:59 pm

Delmont St Xavier wrote:Congratulations!

She has stunning bodywork indeed and the car is equally good mate... ::): ::): ::): ::):

Seriously, well done with the award, it is well deserved.

This!

Gutted I've committed to the Air Show now, but I will get to see the bold Fester at some point I'm sure. Well done indeed to all concerned.
Boxer6
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BTJustice » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:18 am

The weather played the game on Saturday and we had a great wee day out in Giffnock (a phrase thats never been said before).

ImageGiffnock show by Dave Campbell, on Flickr

ImageGiffnock show 1 by Dave Campbell, on Flickr

ImageGiffnock show 26 by Dave Campbell, on Flickr

The rest of the show pics are here;
https://www.flickr.com/gp/route9autos/1Ri40h

Dave.
www.rewoundandfound.com

BTJustice
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:57 pm

Sadly, I had to go down to Dumfries and Galloway on Saturday so I missed out on the nearby Giffnock and meeting 'Fester' in person. One day maybe I'll see this wee guy in person...
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Random Distractions