Political Correctness gone mad

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Political Correctness gone mad

Postby the researcher » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:47 pm

firebrat wrote:I was brought up in FireStations.Central (Ingram st.),then South (Centre st.) then North West until 1988. Us firebrats didn't think it was anything special to live in a station because we didn't know anything different...our pals however had a different outlook :mrgreen: I'll have to dig out photos of the open days at the North West,and photos of the Xmas parties at the West- Santa (some poor fireman pressganged into the job) would be standing at the top of the hose tower whilst us weans were going nuts shouting for him, then he would be brought down on the T.L into the howling mob :mrgreen: happy days..

our local firestation used to have a xmas party for the firemens kids and the fire engine used to leave the station pretending it was going to a fire with lights and siren on but was in actual fact collecting the station officer at that time who being rather portly always dressed up as santa and would arrive on the fire engine and jump down with a large sack full of presents
they dont have a party now mainly due to the fact the kids are grown up and there are very few little ones to justify holding a party for them also i think fife council stopped the parties as well poss due to h&s as it was held in the canteen of the fire station mind you fife council have gotten right scrooges no decorations or tree in council offices or libraries in case it offends ethnic minorities i mean come on since when did xmas decorations offend ethnic minorties?
THE FLYING SCOT MADE BY RATTRAYS IN GLASGOW THE BEST BICYCLE EVER MADE
the researcher
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: Glasgow Fire stations past and present

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:22 pm

the researcher wrote:they dont have a party now mainly due to the fact the kids are grown up and there are very few little ones to justify holding a party for them also i think fife council stopped the parties as well poss due to h&s as it was held in the canteen of the fire station mind you fife council have gotten right scrooges no decorations or tree in council offices or libraries in case it offends ethnic minorities i mean come on since when did xmas decorations offend ethnic minorties?

Evidence please.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dimairt » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:21 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:
the researcher wrote:they dont have a party now mainly due to the fact the kids are grown up and there are very few little ones to justify holding a party for them also i think fife council stopped the parties as well poss due to h&s as it was held in the canteen of the fire station mind you fife council have gotten right scrooges no decorations or tree in council offices or libraries in case it offends ethnic minorities i mean come on since when did xmas decorations offend ethnic minorties?

Evidence please.

Evidence to the contrary: a Christmas event in a library, a primary school and a community centre all owned and run by Fife Council. But hey, let's not allow the facts to get in the way of a wee rant!

Nollaig Chridheal,
Eddy

http://www.fifedirect.org.uk/events/ind ... 84A4C2D60B

http://www.fifedirect.org.uk/events/ind ... 2FE09F6CF2

http://www.fifedirect.org.uk/news/index ... C6A4FEAADD
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:31 pm

Dex & Eddy, the Bisto twins. :P
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby SomeRandomBint » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:35 pm

Many local authorities do request employees don't put up Christmas decorations in their offices.

This is because of council employees habitually standing on chairs and desks to put them up, and then attempting to sue the council for an injury at work when they fall off.

As far as I am aware, anyway.

As the child of a former fireman, the idea of Christmas parties in a fire stations does make me chuckle. I got taken up in a turntable ladder as a child, and then had to stay up there for ages because the Commander arrived and I shouldn't have been on it. Oops.
"-What was all that then? - What? - THAT. - That was Glasgow"
SomeRandomBint
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:41 pm

SomeRandomBint wrote:This is because of council employees habitually standing on chairs and desks to put them up, and then attempting to sue the council for an injury at work when they fall off.

Out on a limb here I know, but why don't they just supply stepladders? That way they can train the twats to reach the giddy heights of two feet off the ground without falling on their arses.

Mods, please move this to 'Issit Jist Me?' thread. :roll:
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dimairt » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:03 am

SomeRandomBint wrote:Many local authorities do request employees don't put up Christmas decorations in their offices.

This is because of council employees habitually standing on chairs and desks to put them up, and then attempting to sue the council for an injury at work when they fall off.

As far as I am aware, anyway.

Evidence please. Many local authorities don't allow staff to put up any decorations, Christmas or otherwise, as doing so may damage the walls. ( see link below for example)In my last job with the Cooncil - oh how I still love saying that - the premises were leased from an agency, part of the terms and conditions included a 'no decorations, posters, notices' clause.

Durachdan,
Eddy

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/News/Dundee ... -wall.html
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:29 am

SomeRandomBint wrote:Many local authorities do request employees don't put up Christmas decorations in their offices.

Evidence please
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Political Correctness gone mad

Postby jodieohdoh » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:55 am

Jesus. Isn't one Dexter enough? Noo we've got him in stereo ;-)

I feared the worst when I saw the title of this thread but it's given me a few chuckles.
jodieohdoh
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:58 am

jodieohdoh wrote:Jesus. Isn't one Dexter enough? Noo we've got him in stereo ;-)

I feared the worst when I saw the title of this thread but it's given me a few chuckles.

Evidence please

::): :P
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:24 am

what hollowhorn meant to say was ....dex and eddy the bistro twins.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:35 am

banjo wrote:what hollowhorn meant to say was ....dex and eddy the bistro twins.

Evidence Please :roll:
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby SomeRandomBint » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:39 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:

Evidence please

Mah step-Dad's fifteen minute rant on Christmas Eve after West Dunbartonshire Flunkies sent him an email requesting no decorations in the offices.

To let them use step-ladders, that would be a three-day training course (during business hours, natch). And then the unions of the step-ladder people would complain that they were training office workers to do the job of the maintenance department.

It might not be ALL authorities, usually only those responding to an incident. For example, when I worked for an LA in North Wales, we had a hot water boiler in the kitchen. Someone making tea managed to spill it on their foot on the way back from the kitchen, went to the hospital, and then sued the LA for a tidy sum. As a result, all the boilers were removed, and every office was provided with a modern urn, to prevent anyone from carrying cups of tea around. Stupid, yes. Pointless, probably. Right? Probably not. But welcome to the modern world of ambulance chasers - if LAs aren't seen to be taking "reasonable steps" to prevent an accident (like expressly saying "Don't stand on the f**kin' chairs to pin up decorations, you imbeciles") then when the inevitable happens, they get hit with a claim.
"-What was all that then? - What? - THAT. - That was Glasgow"
SomeRandomBint
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:44 pm

Do you know what evidence is? Because that isn't evidence of a health and safety, anti Christian world gone mad. Why did West Dunbartonshire send that to an office but not send it to their schools. Was it not to use Blu Tak or drawing pins rather than decoration?

You pointed out the logic of removing boilers. Not for health and safety reason but it would cost them even more money if a similar incident happened again.

BTW if you must rant about councils, NHS etc do it in the forums reserved for corruption, plot and buildings set on fire and a belief in Santa Claus.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:08 pm

Dex do you work for a 'Council' within Scotland?
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Random Distractions