The thread with no name

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: The thread with no name

Postby hungryjoe » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:57 am

Dexter St. Clair wrote:
Josef wrote:
"We were the junior partner in 1940 when we were fighting the Nazis."

That's absolutely true, of course, but it sure wasn't the US that we were the juniors to.

*Says the man who has spent his evenings this week watching that The World At War box set that he bought two years ago and had never quite got round to until now..*

but you didn't have the benefits of a private school.

A sore arse is a benefit? 8O
Multi dinero, multi ficky fick, multi divorce.
hungryjoe
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:03 pm

hungryjoe wrote:
Dexter St. Clair wrote:
Josef wrote:
"We were the junior partner in 1940 when we were fighting the Nazis."

That's absolutely true, of course, but it sure wasn't the US that we were the juniors to.

*Says the man who has spent his evenings this week watching that The World At War box set that he bought two years ago and had never quite got round to until now..*

but you didn't have the benefits of a private school.

You're doing it the wrong way, Joe.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lone Groover » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:05 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:
hungryjoe wrote:
Dexter St. Clair wrote:
Josef wrote:

You're doing it the wrong way, Joe.

Well it works for him any way !
"Work hard, Rock Hard, Eat hard, Sleep hard, Grow big, Wear glasses if you need 'em"
Flickr photos - If you can stand them !
www.flickr.com/photos/davetrott/
Lone Groover
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dave » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:38 pm

Anyone know what was at the end of Viking Way in Thornliebank before the wee housing estate was built there? It seems a bit of over kill to have a 200 metre dual carriage road leading to a relatively small estate slap bang in the centre of a suburb.
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:57 pm

Old Maps (old-maps.co.uk) 1935 shows a Foundry and "Zenith Works" on the site of the housing estate although no dual carriageway. This may have been added later.

There's an indistinct photograph of the place here:

http://www.sudburymuseums.ca/triangle/d ... 480701.pdf

That should be a good starting point for an investigation. It was the first item returned when I googled for "zenith foundry thornliebank".
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:48 am

Dave wrote:Anyone know what was at the end of Viking Way in Thornliebank before the wee housing estate was built there? It seems a bit of over kill to have a 200 metre dual carriage road leading to a relatively small estate slap bang in the centre of a suburb.

BrigitDoon wrote:Old Maps (old-maps.co.uk) 1935 shows a Foundry and "Zenith Works" on the site of the housing estate although no dual carriageway. This may have been added later.

There's an indistinct photograph of the place here:

http://www.sudburymuseums.ca/triangle/d ... 480701.pdf

That should be a good starting point for an investigation. It was the first item returned when I googled for "zenith foundry thornliebank".

Very early on in my career (within the first few months I think and definitely during the first year or so - that would make it circa late '94 / early '95), I helped an older colleague do a level survey of the trunk sewers that pass through the northern end of that housing estate. This was prior to the site being redeveloped for its current residential use; at the time of our survey the site was strewn with thousands of tonnes of demolished brick, concrete, rubble and other waste materials. I don't know what the prior use of the site was but, judging by its post-demolition condition, I would say it was almost certainly industrial in nature. It's possible that the Argus Foundry / Zenith Works that BD has pointed out on the 1935 OS plan may have been what occupied the site prior to its redevelopment into its current use.

A Google search for “Argus Foundry” led me to this 1969 aerial photo of Busby railway junction with the Argus Foundry in the foreground.

A Google Search for “Zenith Works” Glasgow led me to this PDF extract of The Edinburgh Gazette, dated 19th February 1974; this contains a company listing for Coca-Cola Bottlers (Scotland & Northern) Ltd., Zenith Works, Boydstone Road, Glasgow. Another search for “Zenith Works” Thornliebank led me to another PDF extract of The Edinburgh Gazette, this time dated 20th January 1978, with the same company/address.

I'm 99% certain that no road existed on the line of Viking Way at the time we did our survey so common sense would suggest that it was constructed to serve as the access road into the housing estate. We had to park on Boydstone Road and then traipse through the site whilst lugging our surveying equipment, trying to make our around/over the demolished buildings AND find manholes amongst it all – talk about looking for needles in a haystack!
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:54 pm

sunnysiders post got me thinking :wink:

What was the name of the butchers here
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Sauchie ... 79.64,,0,5

next to Biggars where my granny bought her pies?
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:18 am

RIP to the poor NZ miners

I am puzzled by this..

November 2010 - 29 miners dead in NZ

November 2010 - 29 miners rescued in China

April 2010 - 29 miners killed in West Virgina
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby macdonald » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:04 am

Bridie wrote:Bridie's (Occasional) Showbiz/Sleb Thread......... not important enough to actually have it's own thread

It's come to my attention that Lady Mrs Richard Branson is a Glaswegian and apparently worked in a Glasgow pawnshop and who's father was apparently a caretaker in a block of flats. is this true and does any else have any more interesting info on this like how the hell did she meet Sir Branson and did I miss out somewhere in the 70's given that I actually worked in Virgin? 8O

She's from Bishopbriggs. Some of my mates know her brother. I thought her old man worked for BR and that was why Branson got involved in railways. No idea how they met.
macdonald
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Bridie » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:40 pm

macdonald wrote:
Bridie wrote:Bridie's (Occasional) Showbiz/Sleb Thread......... not important enough to actually have it's own thread

It's come to my attention that Lady Mrs Richard Branson is a Glaswegian and apparently worked in a Glasgow pawnshop and who's father was apparently a caretaker in a block of flats. is this true and does any else have any more interesting info on this like how the hell did she meet Sir Branson and did I miss out somewhere in the 70's given that I actually worked in Virgin? 8O

She's from Bishopbriggs. Some of my mates know her brother. I thought her old man worked for BR and that was why Branson got involved in railways. No idea how they met.

thanks macdonald :D
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:42 pm

all the sartorially elegant men about town of this Board let us know what you think when you rush here

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/edit ... -1.1078576

Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dot » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:50 pm

An elderly relative who is in a residential home which has an E.M.I. Unit had to go to the dentist recently.
The dentist asked for a list of all medications they were receiving and I found it to be an eye opener.
Among the daily dose of drugs they were on were tablets to stop you getting osteo-porosis and
something relating to dementia/Alzheimer's. Now there were a few others which wouldn't raise an eyebrow
but what did surprise me was that they were on maximum level of paracetamol you could take every day.

Now please tell me if I am wrong but I thought that too many paracetamol on a long term basis would damage
the liver. My Dad thinks it is to make people sleepy and possibly easier to manage though even he thought
eight tablets every day does seem like a lot.
The person in question does spend a lot of time sleeping but maybe as they have poor mobility and are
elderly this is normal?

Anyone on here got any thoughts on this?
I know there are a few people on here who have nursing experience or have other jobs within NHS.
Dot
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dave2 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:59 pm

If taken to excess it can damage the liver, but the maximum recommended dose is below this level if the person has an otehrwise healthy liver and ok kidney function. Using other painkillers could have a worse effect upon the liver, with more sedative and greater side effects. So for maximum analgesia with minimum side effects, paracetamol is preferred.

Even when people are on strong (morphine etc) pain killers, paracetamol is normally left in there.
dave2
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dot » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:22 pm

dave2,

Thanks for your speedy reply.
Dot
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Boxer6 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:18 pm

Sadly, the level of analgesia prescribed to the elderly sometimes (and unofficially) may not adhere strictly to BNF guidelines (*). This can sometimes be due to ignorance of the particular patients' condition (not as unusual as you may like to think!) and sometimes, and more understandably IMHO, because the benefit of the pain relief outweigh the possibility of any potential physical damage caused.

Hope that makes sense - I've had a few beers tonight!!

* - no evidence, a la Dex; these comments are "merely" anecdotal, albeit gleaned from 23 years on the health service, plus experience of both parents and one in-law enduring long-term fatal illnesses.

Oh, and Dave2 is quite correct btw.
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Boxer6
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Random Distractions