Boredom Thread: What SCARES you?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Boredom Thread: What SCARES you?

Postby DMcNay » Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:34 pm

So what makes you break out in a sweat at the thought of it?

For me: heights. Standing on the edge of a tall building with no railing in front of me, even if I'm well away from the edge, I'll not be a happy bunny. My mind will be thinking "If someone pushes me I'll be dead".

Related to this, driving over bridges is something I'm developing a phobia for. I drove over the Forth Bridge last week. The wife asked why I'd gone so quiet. I was fighting off a fcuking panic attack, and that ain't good. Every time I drive over a bridge, I think of the drop and what would happen if the bridge collapsed.

Walking over a bridge, nae other. Driving....well, let's just say I'll do it because I have to. But don't speak to me when I'm doing it.

Right, who's next to open up on their biggest fears and phobias?
Too few hours in the day.
DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bing Buzby » Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:44 pm

Falling asleep while a passenger in a car. Just keep jolting awake as if I forget to tell my subconscious that I am not doing the driving and it is OK to nod off this time.

Brick it every time.
Bing Buzby
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby skintobalinto » Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:52 pm

Heights also, especially the high sweeping off ramp from the Clydeside Expressway on to the Kingston Bridge. I just think maybe I am going too fast and I can crash through the barrier and end up taking off. gives me the heebeegeebees every time.

PS Dr_Lightning, I walked past Tom Baker the other week, he was strolling up Sauchiehall Street with another guy, he is a big bloke- I think he has had a few pies since the Doctor days. as have we all.
Last edited by skintobalinto on Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skintobalinto
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Sharon » Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:52 pm

I am scared BEING a passenger in someone elses car. It takes such a leap of blind faith to hand over control and responsibility for your safety to someone else.

This is said whilst rubbing my bruised shin after a bump at the weekend. This hasn't aided the fear. I am often seen to be white knucked as i hold on for dear life, or maybe with my eyes closed so I don't see all the dangers.
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby DMcNay » Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:55 pm

It doesn't scare me because it doesn't happen too often, but being a passenger I don't like. I find myself putting my foot on a brake that isn't there, and I think we're too near the wall/hard shoulder/side of the bridge.

In fact, don't ask me to be the passenger in a car going over a bridge. I'll freak out.
DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DMcNay » Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:56 pm

Sharon wrote:This is said whilst rubbing my bruised shin after a bump at the weekend.

What happened? Everyone okay? Not serious, I hope...
DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sharon » Mon Jul 26, 2004 1:05 pm

Yes everyone was ok, i think my shin was the only injury sustained (and the bump is getting bigger!). Just as well it was the short legged person in the front though, a longer leg would probaly have been snapped.

We slid into the back of another car on Arran on Satuday, 3 miles into a drive around the island. There was only minor damage to both vehicles, but it was scary all the same.
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby DMcNay » Mon Jul 26, 2004 1:12 pm

Sharon wrote:Yes everyone was ok, i think my shin was the only injury sustained (and the bump is getting bigger!). Just as well it was the short legged person in the front though, a longer leg would probaly have been snapped.

We slid into the back of another car on Arran on Satuday, 3 miles into a drive around the island. There was only minor damage to both vehicles, but it was scary all the same.

I nearly crashed twice yesterday. 'Nuff said about that.....
DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nuttytigger » Mon Jul 26, 2004 1:19 pm

being on a bridge over water thats high up, or on aboat, i have a fear of deep water which is why i've never been able ti learn to swim since i fell into the sea at Ayr when i was three.
nuttytigger
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DMcNay » Mon Jul 26, 2004 1:23 pm

nuttytigger wrote:being on a bridge over water thats high up, or on aboat, i have a fear of deep water which is why i've never been able ti learn to swim since i fell into the sea at Ayr when i was three.

Being on a bridge high up over water isn't too scary for me, as I like to think I could survive the drop and then swim. But in a car you'd be effectively already in your coffin....
DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sharon » Mon Jul 26, 2004 1:24 pm

Remember to open your windows so the car fills with water and you can swim oot the window. Thats what they do on telly... i think :?:
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby DMcNay » Mon Jul 26, 2004 1:27 pm

Wouldn't save you if you went over the side of the Kingston Bridge, though...

Actually, just typing that made me go cold...
DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sharon » Mon Jul 26, 2004 1:29 pm

I get vertigo too...not as bad as you. But there are moments it gets close to panic attack. Fortunately I have always been able to talk myself back out of it, and have yet to be stuck lying down somewhere high holding on so i dont fall off.

This used to go for being INSIDE tower blocks too.

Its just not right that they sway in the wind. :evil:
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Bing Buzby » Mon Jul 26, 2004 1:32 pm

Remebering the daft things I did when I was wee. Walking along ledges, strolling across an ice covered Hogganfied Loch and a zillion capers on building sites/railways/canals.

Even though I was immortal in those days, gives me the willies thinking about them now.
Bing Buzby
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby DMcNay » Mon Jul 26, 2004 1:35 pm

It's an odd one. Inside a tall building I'm fine. Even looking out the window straight down doesn't bother me too much. But if I was outside it's another matter.

Top of the Wallace Monument I was uncomfortable, even asking my wife not to take my arm, as I had some bizarre idea that if she slipped I would plummet to my death.

Thing is, I know EXACTLY when this started. At some sort of fair at Strathclyde Park years ago, the Paras had a thing where you could put on parachute harness and do a kind of jump thing from a scaffolding tower, all while wired up. "That looks fun" thought the twelve-year old me. So I queued up to take my turn. By the time I got to the top the wind had picked up. I wasn't so confident. And by the time I was harnessed up one thought was in my head.

"I can't do it" said I. I wanted down, and not the quick way either. So they unbuckeld me and I had to go through the embarassment of walking past everyone in the queue. I didn't care. I was petrified.

I'm never doing that again, let me tell you.
DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Random Distractions