Norn Iron

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Norn Iron

Postby Doorstop » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:39 am

I think every town should have a bloke like that turkey bloke .. 'variety being the spice of' and all that jazz, that and the fact every town needs someone to throw rotten fruit at.
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dot » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:29 pm

Bridie,
Maybe the local animal/bird lovers will boycott Mahon's Hotel after hearing that story.
I met Joe Mahon once when I was down in Fermanagh for a funeral.

BrigitDoon,
I thought this was a shocking story that appeared in the Sunday World. Maybe some of you read about it.
Don't buy Sunday papers but heard about it on the news and from friends at work.
The Editor has since been beaten up while walking around the Continental Christmas Market in Belfast though think this was not related. No doubt he has made a few enemies in his line of work.
Some readers have refused to buy the paper ever again.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/1/hi/northern ... 336911.stm
Dot
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:45 pm

Belfast Telegraph >>

Sunday World editor, Jim McDowell, attacked in Belfast

26th November 2009

One of Northern Ireland’s best-known journalists has been given a savage beating just yards from the front door of Belfast City Hall.

Jim McDowell, northern editor of Dublin-based Sunday World, suffered severe cuts and bruising to his head and body after being punched and kicked to the ground by four men yesterday evening.

The 60-year-old ex-rugby player and boxer believes drug dealers were behind the brutal attack which happened during a visit to the Continental Market.

“They came at me from behind — they didn’t even take me face on. I was trying to get up and they beat me back three times. There is a mark from the heel of a boot on the back of my head.

“I was 15 metres from the front steps of Belfast City Hall when I heard a guy say ‘you got my brother killed’ or ‘you are trying to get my brother killed’.

“Then he came from behind and smashed up my right ear. There were people all over the place, the market was full. I was hit from behind on the right hand side of the face and before I could turn around someone came in from the left. I tried to get round but there were four of them and they all started on me.

“They were hitting me hard. The sorest part of me now is my elbow, because I had to put my hand over my head to protect it,” he told the Belfast Telegraph.

Mr McDowell did not require hospital treatment.

During the Troubles Mr McDowell received numerous threats to his life from loyalist and republican paramilitaries and in 1999 his city centre offices were firebombed.

The attack comes less than a fortnight after his car was vandalised as he attended a hearing at Craigavon Courthouse involving men charged in connection with the murder of Martin O'Hagan, a Sunday World reporter shot dead by the LVF in Lurgan, Co Armagh, in September 2001.

Branding the gang who assaulted him last night as “cowards”, Mr McDowell insisted he would not be intimidated.

He said: “The audacity of these thugs, to think they they can just do that to anybody 15 metres from the door of Belfast City Hall.

“These people who are poisoning our society and young people with drugs think they can get away with anything, but they won’t. I’ll pursue this until I can see them behind bars.”

Anyone with information is asked to contact police on Lisburn Road on 0845 600 8000. Information can also be passed anonymously via the Crimestoppers charity on 0800 555111.
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:47 pm

It wisnae me.
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dot » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:53 pm

He could end up being gunned down like that Irish journalist Veronica Guerin who wrote about and interviewed drug dealers in Dublin.
Dot
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Peetabix » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:29 am

Going back in March. Wee place near Omagh I believe.

Albert Memorial Clock

Belfast Underpass

Maybe someone could help me out with the name of this wee lane?
Peetabix
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dot » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:42 pm

That last one looks like Commercial Court where there is a pub called 'The Duke of York'.
Don't think I have actually been in that street but have walked past that area from time to time.

See what you think though this picture may be at a slightly different angle or you could try Google maps.
http://www.pubutopia.com/pubs/B/Belfast ... Of%20York/

Like your photos and I go past Albert Clock on my way to work.
Bit of a lean to it like the Tower of Pisa though maybe not on the same scale.

Are you planning on staying in each of the six counties (FAT LAD)?
Dot
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Peetabix » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:45 pm

Aye it's lookin that way Dot.I'll give it a good bash anyway.

Thanks for the street too. That is the Duke Of York pub on the right, well done.
Peetabix
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:24 am

Dot wrote:He could end up being gunned down like that Irish journalist Veronica Guerin who wrote about and interviewed drug dealers in Dublin.

Excellent movie, btw and the Sinéad O'Connor song is sublime.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dot » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:01 pm

Is somebody getting information as to when these machines are being topped up?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/8407423.stm
Dot
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:40 am

Dot wrote:Is somebody getting information as to when these machines are being topped up?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/8407423.stm

Haven't heard anymore Dot. It happened in Fermanagh too. So they think it's the same lot then??

change of subject - I work prt-time in a shop here in this border town and we are stowed out with southerners buying things a zillion times cheaper than in the south. I am starting to get the hang of the different phrases and antics of some of the shoppers - from the whole of this island not just the south!! some of them crack me up ::):
but for the life of me I don't get this one;
a wee woman from the south;
"Can I pay in Euros?
Me "Yes you can but we don't accept cents"
wee woman (showing me a handful of cents) "What are these?"

It happens all the time - I am bemused to say the least!! wtf are they using as currency in the south :wink: :D
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dot » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:52 pm

Bridie,

Hope you are not snowed in.

Watching Spotlight programme.
Don't know which story was more surprising Gerry Adams and the allegations of sexual abuse in connection with his brother and father or this weeks story about Iris Robinson (59) and her affair with the 19 year old.
Dot
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:07 pm

Hi Dot

fingers are too cold to type proiperry :D

Just watched the news and they headlined that Mr Robinson is on his last legs??
Mrs Robinson and the teenager!! :roll: :D

Hope all is well with you

Ps send down some food parcels please from the metropolis and do you ever see such eejits as the ones who are quad biking and bicycling over the frozen lough!!
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dot » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:03 pm

Bridie,

My youngest son got sent home early from school on Wednesday but school open as normal on Thursday and today much to his disappointment.
Mind you there was a bit of a snowstorm though it dried up later in the day.

On Wednesday night I had to run my son into the city centre for an activity.
I decided to stay in town and go round a few shops before I went to pick him up.
Was at TK Maxx and lights went out twice.

That quad bike stuff is a bit scary and was there not some guy in England was found dead in a frozen lake.
Didn't hear full story so don't know whether he had fallen in and drowned or what.
Think he had gone to see one of the Darts tournaments.
Dot
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dot » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:13 pm

Bridie,

I see Iris seems to have been chucked out of the DUP and wonder how long Peter can hold onto his job.
Her toy boy has been asked to pose for a gay magazine and the cafe where he works has been under siege with people obviously trying to get a look at him.

To be honest it is a wonder she has lasted so long.
Think she upset many people with her anti gay remarks in the past and believe she is supposed to be seeing a psychiatrist at present.
I think life in Northern Ireland is difficult enough for gay people as people here tend to be very narrow minded and less tolerant than in other parts of the UK but then they are the same with Polish people and Romanians.
Dot
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Random Distractions