Computer Problems.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Computer Problems.

Postby Doorstop » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:14 pm

Install and uninstall resulted in the status quo ... no results in the device manager either.

I'm presently hunting for iso files using a wee wildcard search just in case Nero or something has thrown off an anomolous project and fooling the machine into thinking it has another physical drive.

Edit: Nothing untoward there either.

Arseholes!
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Peetabix » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:19 pm

Big sweaty arseholes.

I've just realised it's an external drive you're using. Did you unplug it and plug it in at any time?
Peetabix
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:20 pm

Yes ... am I missing something obvious?
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Peetabix » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:23 pm

Right because XP is an arse everytime you plug your external in it assigns the next letter in the sequence. So the virtual drive may have been made when you've had the external unplugged. Then when you've plugged old external back in XP is saying shit I've already J: drive, you can just be K: now or whatever way round it is.

But, we still need to get rid of that bawbag.
Peetabix
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Peetabix » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:26 pm

Go here http://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbdlm_e.html and download the wee program (links at bottom of page). Good instructions on the site. Apart from the link I can't do anything else with it because I don't have an external.

Give it a go and let me know how you get on.
Peetabix
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:43 pm

No joy mate ... I've even had a hunt for the offending drive in ther registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices but it's not there either.

My head's burst with this.
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Peetabix » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:52 pm

Bastards.

This is just strange now.

In Device Manager again. View>Show Hidden Devices

Anything?
Peetabix
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Peetabix » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:53 pm

Oh wait if it isn't showing in the regisrty that probably won't show anything either.
Peetabix
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:15 pm

DM doesn't show anything mate, like you said .. if it's not in the registry then Christ knows where it's hiding.
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby John » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:22 pm

Doorstop wrote:Oh, this is driving me mental!!

A spurious (and non-existent) cd drive has appeared on the drive list of 'My Computer'.

This drive doesn't appear on any the hardware list of 'Administrative Tools' or 'System' tools from the control panel.

The main problem is that this non existent drive has adopted the designation (J:) from my external hard drive.

This obviously reassigns the hard drive to K: and, in doing so, has mucked up all the program association links rendering them unbootable unless I go to the folder they are in and manually launch them. i.e. all the quick launch, 'most used' and 'all program' icons (from the START menu) want to launch from the J: volume which is now the K: volume.

Obviously any program which is saved on the now K: drive and is included in the start-up register won't boot .. they nstead ask for a disk to be inserted into the phantom J: drive.

As I've said previously the phantom drive doesn't appear in any hardware list on any of the system management software in the control panel (it does however appear in drop down 'save-to' menus etc.) so I'm finding it impossible to dismount the drive.

Any ideas?

Hi Doorstop,

I can't suggest a fix for now but a quick workaround might help. You can use disk administrator to assign a different drive letter to the phantom CD drive - use a high letter such as Q:

Then try rebooting to see if your hard drives are allocated the correct drive letters again. If not, simply use disk administrator again to reassign J: to your external hard drive.

Cheers

John
'It's a sad day for capitalism when a man can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park'
John
-
-

Postby Doorstop » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:21 am

That was one of the first things I tried John, but the spooky drive doesn't appear in the drive identification list. :evil:

I've given up now, I'm resorting to uninstalling then reinstalling all the programs and apps affected by the phanton assign.

Pain in the cock, double pain probably as I'll only have to do it all again should the spooky drive disappear.

Bumholes.
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lone Groover » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:02 am

The old cd / dvd burner is being a bit naughty - it tries to eat up my disc when I eject.

So a simple replacement would be in order. :wink:

Anyone seen a bargain ? I don't like to lavish to much cash on this stuff, my needs are fairly simple = Make a disc & don't stuff it up !

Regards 8O
"Work hard, Rock Hard, Eat hard, Sleep hard, Grow big, Wear glasses if you need 'em"
Flickr photos - If you can stand them !
www.flickr.com/photos/davetrott/
Lone Groover
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Its_a_gamp » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:08 am

Cheap n chearful, the first one is a SATA interface the second is IDE, never had a problem with LG writers

http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=5CM7&SearchType=1&SearchTerms=dvd+rw&PageMode=3&SearchKey=All&SearchMode=All&NavigationKey=50383

This is the one I have, does the job.
http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=56W1&SearchType=1&SearchTerms=dvd+rw&PageMode=3&SearchKey=All&SearchMode=All&NavigationKey=50383

If you only want a cd burner I have a spare in box in my loft
Due to cutbacks, the light at the end of the tunnel is off until further notice!
Its_a_gamp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lone Groover » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:07 pm

Nice one, I preffer a personal reccomendation ! 8)
"Work hard, Rock Hard, Eat hard, Sleep hard, Grow big, Wear glasses if you need 'em"
Flickr photos - If you can stand them !
www.flickr.com/photos/davetrott/
Lone Groover
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Its_a_gamp » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:01 pm

Disclaimer: Athough the one I have is a lightscribe one, I cannot comment if this works or is any good as I have never had the inclination to buy any lightscribe discs. The fact that it has this function was never one of the reasons I bought it. Just thought I'd better add that in case this is a reason for buying it.
Due to cutbacks, the light at the end of the tunnel is off until further notice!
Its_a_gamp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Random Distractions