Quick Hide The Telly!

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Quick Hide The Telly!

Postby BrigitDoon » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:00 pm

I do wish the BBC wouldn't show footage of fatal road accidents so soon after they've happened. There was a sickening scene of an HGV cab at lunchtime where it was clear that the driver could not have survived the impact. What if that had been my husband in there and I'd not yet found out? It's not as if these vehicles aren't distinctive. It's bad enough to lose someone in a tragedy - I couldn't imagine finding out by watching telly emmets crawling all over the scene.

My heartfelt sympathies to the bereaved :(
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Luco » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:53 am

The Evening Times or BBC had a photo of the scene up at Hanover Street last week after the two girls had died, and you could see someone lying on the ground. :?
Luco
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:46 pm

I see that Gray and Keys have been signed up by TalkSport. Great. That makes life easy. We can now load the whole plot, Collymore and all, into the back of a white transit van, stick a copy of The Sun and a packet of Marlboro on the dash, hitch a caravan with Clarkson and the wee one in it to the back of it, festoon it with fireworks and have James May launch the whole plot over Beachy Head to the strains of "Land of Hope and Glory".

Now, who wants to fill out the despatch note? :)
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby InkMan » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:55 am

I have came to the end of an 18 months basic BT Broadband contract. They want to move me onto the BT Vision option which comes with a shiny new BT Vision Box.

According to the gumph that has just arrived through my door this is connected to the internet even if it is to use Freeview channels.

I want to retain the 10MG's per month package and don't really want to increase this. Would me watching television then eat up a lot of my internet time? If so can I accept this package and simply not plug in the box and continue to use my Freeview box?

Thanks

Shuggy
Cleggy you snickering floppy eared hound when courage is needed, you're ne'er around.
Those medals you wear on your moth-eaten chest should be there for bungling at which you are best.
InkMan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby pingu » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:30 pm

Inkman you plug the tv box into the phone line purely so they can bill you for their on demand stuff (if you use it) so it will have no impact on your net use.
youd need to find someone who has it but i think it probably will work as ive got a sky HD box thats not plugged into the phone and its always worked fine
toot toot
pingu
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:39 pm

I know the BT Vision box needs to talk to a BT server or it won't work. It downloads freeview broadcast timing data so that it can record stuff. I think it will work on freeview if it loses the internet connection but stops if it needs to be rebooted.

Mine was temperamental and the remote had an irritating time delay on it. In the end I had enough of it, cancelled the service and cannibalised it for parts. Useful hard drive and wee cooling fans in it.

BT are overpriced, arrogant and complacent. I'm trying to get rid of some old data and they've blagged their way past the ICO. Utterly spiteful, vile and undeserving of anyone's business.
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:03 pm

Just seen an advert on Channel 4 for, I think, Films for Life...

Barren, post-apocalyptic wasteland with remnants of BT tower and London Eye. The only life is a man who walks across the landscape to his tin shack and stares out of window at a thunderstorm raging. Lighting bolt hits the antennae outside and suddenly, all his tellies spring into life. Meanwhile, a hooded figure is seen approaching the shack. It turns out to be a young woman looking for shelter and they end up watching films on the settee.

Please, someone, rip this off and have the figure reveal themselves as a TV licence inspector... :wink:
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:46 am

I managed to demolish my pizza last night before watching Dan Snow's Filthy Cities. I was just finishing the yoghurt as it started. Oh dear...

We've uncovered some grim situations on building sites, but nothing compared to the picture he painted of 14th Century London, sinking under the weight of its own filth: all flavours of animal and human excrement and rotting offal, several inches deep along each street. He's doing 18th Century Paris next time. Apparently there are scratch'n'sniff cards to accompany the series 8O I felt queasy enough watching them butcher the hog, thanks.

For all that 21st Century living is stressful, I'd rather have this pickle we're in than the shite they were in.
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:06 pm

lets get the uk tv licence abolished

We all must pay £129 a year for tv channels that alot of us do not watch anyway, so why do we still have to pay for it... all the other terrestrial tv channels in the uk pay their own way,, usually with adverts, so why are we still forced to pay for a licence for a channel that we do not want.... If bbc still want to run, now is the time for them to start puting advertisments on their channels. If you agree with me go to the link below and sign the pettition to get it aboilished..... is a legitamate petition at the no 10 website if enough people sign it,,, they might just abolish it

The new price is £145.50, just renewd mine online very grudgingly. :|
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:17 pm

Mori wrote:Image

lets get the uk tv licence abolished

We all must pay £129 a year for tv channels that alot of us do not watch anyway, so why do we still have to pay for it... all the other terrestrial tv channels in the uk pay their own way,, usually with adverts, so why are we still forced to pay for a licence for a channel that we do not want.... If bbc still want to run, now is the time for them to start puting advertisments on their channels. If you agree with me go to the link below and sign the pettition to get it aboilished..... is a legitamate petition at the no 10 website if enough people sign it,,, they might just abolish it

The new price is £145.50, just renewd mine online very grudgingly. :|

Bring back schools television.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:53 am

Causes.com - which uses Facebook, which means giving your data to the Americans. No ta.
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:51 pm

Broadcasting debate
16/06/2011

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/News/Release ... 6/16152002

Steps to realise the Scottish Broadcasting Commission's vision for a Scottish Digital Network (SDN) have been set out by the Cabinet Secretary for Culture and External Affairs.

During a debate at the Scottish Parliament, Fiona Hyslop suggested three areas where Holyrood should have more input into power and influence over broadcasting to help deliver quality public service content for the whole of Scotland.

Ms Hyslop has proposed that the Scottish Parliament:

Needs to be able to ensure the establishment of the Scottish Digital Network as a public service broadcaster with a remit within Scotland and with guaranteed spectrum which can make it available to everyone in Scotland

Needs to be consulted on subsequent television licence fee settlements and the use of that revenue if it has knock-on impacts for Scotland

Could have a responsibility for, or at least an involvement in, decisions made by the UK Government about local television stations which will broadcast within Scotland. Any such stations could have an impact on the viability of Scottish media companies, for example if they competed for a limited advertising market
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:35 pm

Who's No paid ??? :|

ET

TV licence shame of Glasgow

21 Jul 2011

Glasgow has been branded a licence-dodging hotspot by TV Licensing chiefs after 10,000 people were caught breaking the law.
TV Licensing officers caught around 35,000 licence dodgers in Scotland in the first six months of 2011, and nearly a third of them were in Glasgow followed by around 2400 in Edinburgh and 1400 in Aberdeen.
The total number caught was down on the figure for same period in the previous year which saw 41,000 fall foul of the detectors.
Anyone caught watching TV illegally can be fined up to £1000.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:49 pm

ET
The ten top excuses given to TV Licensing were:

"Since I had a bit of a fling with the postman I haven't been receiving my mail so I didn't get my TV licence reminder; No-one watches TV apart from the parakeet, it calms him down and stops him ripping out his feathers.

"I went to the PayPoint to pay for my licence, but I had to leave before I could pay as my kids were stealing sweets and I had to get them out fast;

my payment card fell in the toaster so I had to iron it and now the PayPoint machine won't accept it; I can't afford a TV licence now as the repayments on my brand new car are cleaning me out.

"I never got the reminders because my two year-old hides all my post in her toy box; I would have to sell my TV to pay for a licence so I can't do that;

I don't need a TV licence,

I already pay for my electricity bill; I'm getting married and am too busy picking flowers, colours and things to buy a TV licence;

I cannot go out to buy a licence because I am allergic to the sun."
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:29 pm

That last one's a peach. ::):
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext