Wii or Xbox 360?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Wii or Xbox 360?

Postby Glesga_Steve » Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:24 pm

:evil: Aaaarrrrrgggggghhh!!!! :evil:

Tried to switch on my Xbox 360 earlier for the first time in (literally!) months only to find it was playing up. I've done a bit of Googling and it turns out it's fallen foul of the condition known as "red ring of death". I've barely used the bloody thing considering how long I've had it!

I phoned a couple of places that I thought might be able to fix it but the best quotes I could get for a repair were around the £50/55 mark - and I was warned that the repair wouldn't be guaranteed and the same fault could develop within days/weeks! What sort of idiot would shell out 50+ notes for that?

I've had it for a while (around 3 years give or take a few months I think) so I thought my warranty would have passed long ago, however a bit of further Googling revealed that Microsoft extended the warranty to 3 years primarily because of this fault. I note the few comments re various experiences of others in sending machines back to Microsoft for repair - has anyone else done this with a positive outcome?

I'm planning to phone Microsoft tomorrow but would appreciate any suggestions in case it turns out that I'm not covered by their extended warranty. Should I cut my losses and bin it (or sell it on eBay - I checked and it seems likely I could get anything between £30-60 for it) or should I run the risk of paying for a repair? If paying for a repair, who should I send it to - Microsoft or someone local?

PS - The Wii is great if you have kids; not sure I would enjoy it as much otherwise, though MarioKart is hugely entertaining.
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:05 pm

There is a wee shop at the barras you could try. For the life of me i cant remember the shops name. they have been at that location for years, I've used them.I'd take it down and give them a try.

If not get a new one from Morrisons with 3 games for £189 8)
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby engineer » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:12 am

i sent one back to MS fro the red ring of death, though it was within warranty period
TNT picked it up, and i got it back 2 weeks later i think, again by TNT
whether it was the original console or not, i dont know. wasn't really too bothered.

people need to be on the lookout for 2nd hand 360's now. MS are banning modded consoles, ie ones that play pirate games, from xbox live.theres no way to get round the ban so a lot of modded 360s are now for sale, and you wont be able to go online with them
engineer
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Previous

Return to Random Distractions