Depression

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Depression

Postby Doorstop » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:29 am

And a damn good one.

I constantly give a wee silent thanks to our Brigit for pointing me in the direction of the man.
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:41 am

Haven't contributed to this thread as I'm in the position of never having suffered depression and my sympathies go out to those here who are.

That book though sounds a good read for surviving life and other fellow humans especially the ones with undiagnosed shitty personality traits.
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Jockissimo » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:51 pm

Doorstop wrote:Thanks for the concern guys. It would appear that he is over the danger period as far as the toxicity thing is concerned. .

Ken, I know what you mean about the distraction thing .. that's the main reason I go to the gym . . Going in and sitting on an exercise bike or throwing weights about doesn't require great leaps of mental gymnastics but it leaves you with a feeling of well being afterwards that you've actually done something when you felt you couldn'e.

Pathology aside prevention better than cure. . Getting lots of O2 in yer heid is a good plan. Difficult for many in ' the wee wet fried place'on these winter nights but worth it. I find forcing myself out the ten minute walk to the gym wakes me up of an eve before some hamster wheel and grunting stuff does in deed have a no doubt better effect than being on prozac up in the valley.

Not for everyone. 5 a side, bandi, spin, headlight evening hare and hounds . . . you name it , plenty of options cheaper than 40 a day or a season ticket either end of the old firm
Jockissimo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby jodieohdoh » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:50 am

However for some people the right medication is the right solution. We shouldn't dismiss that out of hand as it can confer an undeserved stigma upon using medication to help with depression.
jodieohdoh
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:59 am

Correct Jodie .. some people (myself included) absolutely require medication to redress a chemical deficiency and there is terrible stigma attached to a lot of psychiatric medication.

Don't believe me? Try dropping the fact you take a couple of anti-psychotic medications as a matter of course every day and watch people take a step back.

I still get it .. and while it doesn't upset me as much as it used to it does dismay me that some people don't make the effort to research different conditions before they make their mind up.

Thank God for places like this and people like yourselves who do

Non sufferers have no idea how much it takes the pressure off not to have to hide things.
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:14 pm

Most people tend to have a simplistic view of medical stuff, often taken directly from what they've seen on some duff tv soap or drama.

Heart Attack = Theatrically clutching chest
Disabled = Wheelchair
Registered blind = White stick & dog
Mental illness = Howling at the moon and dangerous

They never think or care about the reality.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fat Cat » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:45 pm

I often howl at the moon but wouldn't consider myself dangerous. :wink:

I do agree to a certain degree about the stigma about meds, specifically I think the word "psychotic" has all sorts of conotations.

But medication was my saviour. Certainly not to be dismissed. But getting out and about, having good company, indulging in your favourite things like music or whatever you fancy really does make you feels a bit better.

Having suffered depression for more years than I care to mention, I always have a nagging worry in the back of my head that it will come back with a vengence. But for the moment, am coping okay with good days and bad days - but isn't that life?
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:13 pm

Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:49 pm

"If Fred had a brain, he'd be dangerous..."

...and now we shall find out 8O
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby jodieohdoh » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:09 pm

I had the misfortune of catching ITV regional news tonight. Freddie Flintoff was on talking about his depression. After the segment the two dough-heided presenters wanted to know what the viewers thought of high profile sports stars getting depression, do we think it affects them the same way it affects "normal people". Chucking stuff at the telly, ah wiz.
jodieohdoh
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Boxer6 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:18 pm

jodieohdoh wrote:I had the misfortune of catching ITV regional news tonight. Freddie Flintoff was on talking about his depression. After the segment the two dough-heided presenters wanted to know what the viewers thought of high profile sports stars getting depression, do we think it affects them the same way it affects "normal people". Chucking stuff at the telly, ah wiz.

You know, there's a time and a place for this word, even though my lovely OH doesn't think so.

Cunts.

That is all.
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Boxer6
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dot » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:40 pm

jodie,

I had asked the OH to record the programme with Freddie which is on at 10.45pm on BBC1 tonight.
Perhaps there are regional variations re times and dates. It is supposed to be featuring Vinnie Jones,
Ricky Hatton and others talking about their experiences of the black dog.

If Brigit hadn't mentioned the name Fred I would have almost forgotten about it.
Dot
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby jodieohdoh » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:43 pm

Dot!! Where ya been? How are things?
jodieohdoh
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dot » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:54 pm

jodie,

Haven't been away since Hallowe'en when we had a short trip across to Glasgow and then down to see my eldest
who is at University in Manchester.

Glad to get October over really as one of my hubby's relatives died after a long battle with breast cancer.
It was almost a relief in the end even though it was sad too.
She had gone through everything from chemo to radiotherapy and had an op early on into her diagnosis.
Sadly the cancer had spread throughout her body and she was in pain and getting weak.

Hoping this is going to be a better year for all on here and hope you survived the festive season.
Dot
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby jodieohdoh » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:02 pm

Dot,

That's horrendous. Been there, wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. Seems like 2011 wasn't a good year for many folk I know. Onwards & upwards, eh? Easier said than done sometimes.

I just wondered if everything was OK with you, since you've been quiet on here lately. Glad you're back anyway.
jodieohdoh
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Random Distractions