HG Gardeners Question Time...

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

HG Gardeners Question Time...

Postby Sharon » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:29 am

I am looking to buy a nice, big, mature, established, red rose as a present for my parents ruby wedding anniversary.
Which means I need a garden centre which might sell such a thing. (And not just small baby roses.)

I live in a flat so have no garden centre experience, can anyone recommend where I could try?

Thanks!
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: HG Gardeners Question Time...

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:20 pm

You could try:
Caldwell Garden Centre just passed Greenock, near to Hunterston - it will have many different types of roses and might be able to help.
Dobbies - in Milngavie and Braehead is also worth looking at but I find them all expensive.

Then out at Bishopton is the Erskine Shop = big new garden centre - helping to sustain Erskine Hospital and the work it does - worth a try.

There are various places all over Central Scotland; Lanark, Perth and Stirling area have lots of litle garden centres - worth asking about but those are perhaps the nearest that I can think of to you.

My next question....you not moving to a house?
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sharon » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:51 am

Cheers DSX, I shall try and check some of these places out over the weekend. :)
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aland » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:07 am

err Cardwell is at gourock, head though Greenock (watching for the usual snipers) through gourock and it is on left or go past IBM to the roundabout, take 3rd exit and after a mile it is on right
aland
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby ibtg » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:25 am

While you are in Milngavie, also try Mugdock Plantarium (don't know if that is spelled correctly!) in the Mugdock Country Park - It is near the Visitor Centre.
www.mycityglasgow.co.uk
ibtg
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:19 pm

aland wrote:err Cardwell is at gourock, head though Greenock (watching for the usual snipers) through gourock and it is on left or go past IBM to the roundabout, take 3rd exit and after a mile it is on right

I stand corrected - I always approach it from the other direction and it's always on my left when I drive in...
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sharon » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:32 pm

Well I went to Mugdock today and just gave in to the fact that the ruby rose was a bunch of short spiky sticks and supplemented it with a very handsome slate pot. So, job very nicely done. :)
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby RDR » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:34 pm

When do you plant Rhubarb?
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:16 am

Sharon wrote:Well I went to Mugdock today and just gave in to the fact that the ruby rose was a bunch of short spiky sticks and supplemented it with a very handsome slate pot. So, job very nicely done. :)

Best way to get it - as it will now grow to be a mature rose bush. It can also be trimmed and to some degree shaped, something that is very difficult to do with a mature bush.
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:22 am

RDR wrote:When do you plant Rhubarb?

December is a good month to plant but are you doing it from seed or from 'head' of plant? You need to prepare the soil at least 4 weeks in advance. Rhubarb is a very hardy plant but does not like the soil to be disturbed and for your information - once planted it's a bugger to get rid of it and nothing else can be planted in that area of soil for years.
It is hardy and needs the sun but it also needs exposure to frost to give you the best stalks.
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:58 pm

Delmont St Xavier wrote:
RDR wrote:When do you plant Rhubarb?

December is a good month to plant but are you doing it from seed or from 'head' of plant? You need to prepare the soil at least 4 weeks in advance. Rhubarb is a very hardy plant but does not like the soil to be disturbed and for your information - once planted it's a bugger to get rid of it and nothing else can be planted in that area of soil for years.
It is hardy and needs the sun but it also needs exposure to frost to give you the best stalks.

I know what you mean as I've grown it before in a previous garden.
This time I thought I would try it in a bag, like I do with my tatties. Do you think that is feasible?
I was going to try with a plant head, but none of the local garden centres have ones. Do you think they will around about xmas?
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sharon » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:06 am

The occasional daffodil is opening up now so spring is springing, roughly when would we expect to see tulips in full bloom in Glasgow?
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby rabmania » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:29 am

Sharon wrote:The occasional daffodil is opening up now so spring is springing, roughly when would we expect to see tulips in full bloom in Glasgow?

My tulips (the ones in tubs, that is) have got their foliage well above ground so I hope to see flowers this month.
rabmania
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Huggy » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:36 pm

Rhubarb should be ready for planting shortly when the crowns show on the old roots, split these with a sharp spade, one crown to a lump of root. Plant in a well prepared deep bed, two foot apart and mulch every Winter with "Sch' you know who". Needs a lot of nitrogen, (pelleted chicken manure, or soot). Don't pick the first year. Needs sun & water. Containerised rhubarb can be planted anytime (very expensive option). You can still find rhubarb growing at Hogganfield, north of Mossbank School site, from the Pinkerton days. Help yourself. The variety is, Victoria. They used to have a sign up, "One stalk will do, if you take two, we'll get you!"
Huggy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Return to Random Distractions