Formula One

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Formula One

Postby jodieohdoh » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:46 pm

He came across like the 007 of F1 didn't he :-)
jodieohdoh
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:54 pm

He did rather .. the quote in the last thirty seconds of the show while he was in the hospital bed was absolutely priceless. ::):
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby davadvice » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:09 pm

I thought the documentry last night was very good. I love they type of programs. There is one on Jackie S(it was on ESPN Classic last year) and it is excelent it is close in terms to his Biogrphy and is excelent viewing.

looks like we are going to have to wait a while longer to wathc the opening race of the season thanks to the new Oil crissis.
davadvice
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:12 pm

I've heard the wailing and gnashing of teeth on a couple of other forums I frequent. ::):
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby jodieohdoh » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:16 pm

davadvice wrote:I thought the documentry last night was very good. I love they type of programs. There is one on Jackie S(it was on ESPN Classic last year) and it is excelent it is close in terms to his Biogrphy and is excelent viewing.

looks like we are going to have to wait a while longer to wathc the opening race of the season thanks to the new Oil crissis.

My favourite was the BBC blogger who claimed "Bahrain needs F1 more than F1 needs Bahrain". There's nowt like getting to the crux of a political crisis, eh? :D
jodieohdoh
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby aland » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:27 pm

F1 today is boring, go and watch real racing

loved the documentary about Graham Hill, he was from the days that sex was safe and motorsport dangerous
aland
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:28 pm

aland wrote:he was from the days that sex was safe and motorsport dangerous

Post of the week. :D
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:50 pm

You never feel so alive as when you're cheating death and that's what those older racers were like. They knew how to live.

I used to have Prof Sid Watkins's book "Life at the Limit". He was the F1 doctor who oversaw development of medical facilities through the seventies, eighties and nineties. He's quite a character himself and the book is full of exploits of drivers away from the circuit. Worth a read for his appraisal of Gilles Villeneuve alone.
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby aland » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:19 pm

yep read Sid's book

fact is that for drivers up to the death of Ayrton Senna motorsport was still incredibly dangerous so the attitude was sod it, drink, smoke and shag i might not be here come monday. Drivers were killed every weekend now if a driver is killed in club racing it is headline news. for us marshals the danger is still there as the drivers have cages round them we have steel toecapped boots, thankfully deaths and injuries are rare but it is still a risk, part of the buzz i guess

still think it was a good quote though
aland
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby jodieohdoh » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:33 pm

Is that why Kubica went rallying in the off-season I wonder, more thrills in rally than F1?
jodieohdoh
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:38 pm

Just look at the on-board camera footage.

Read too, of the Mille Miglia, Italy's 1000 mile race of yore, and the Targa Florio where the local bandits used to take pot-shots at the drivers...
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:10 pm

BrigitDoon wrote:.........................

Read too, of the Mille Miglia, Italy's 1000 mile race of yore, and the Targa Florio where the local bandits used to take pot-shots at the drivers...

Is that why F1 is holding out against a Glasgow Grand Prix?
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby aland » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:22 am

jodieohdoh wrote:Is that why Kubica went rallying in the off-season I wonder, more thrills in rally than F1?

yep, although rally cars are incredibly strong and are fitted with GPS trackers they are no match for a bloody great tree in the forests, the rally guys are just nutjobs they see doing over 100mph on a narrow icy gravel track as fun, sod that if I crash I want a lovely soft gravel trap and tyrewall to stop me
aland
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby jodieohdoh » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:44 pm

Alan,

The other half was watching rally footage on ESPN at the weekend, I cannot BELIEVE how they chuck those cars around in snow & ice, it's death-defying stuff. And then he goes "I'm thinking about having a go at navigating, what do you think??"

8O
jodieohdoh
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:36 pm

jodieohdoh wrote:Alan,

The other half was watching rally footage on ESPN at the weekend, I cannot BELIEVE how they chuck those cars around in snow & ice, it's death-defying stuff. And then he goes "I'm thinking about having a go at navigating, what do you think??"

8O

I think it's time to up his life insurance :D
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Random Distractions