whats your local .

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: whats your local .

Postby moonbeam » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:20 pm

No the Peel ie the Jimmy Reel had a wee fire. It re-opened with the usual crowd last week. Its got a fancy sign in the window il pele or so. Its still the Peel but nicely done up inside.
moonbeam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby sunnysider » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:25 am

I had a lot of good nights in the Peel in the late 70s. A few bampots here and there but 98% good people.
Whaddya mean, keep down? Why, they couldn't hit an elephant from this dist-
sunnysider
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby the bar biographer » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:09 pm

My local is hard to calculate.

I'm equidistant from the Lincoln Inn, McNabb's on the corner of Queen Victoria Drive and Dumbarton Road and BJs at Anniesland Cross.

Sorry, tell a lie, its actually that murky looking pub in Knightswood Shopping Centre opposite Somerfield off Anniesland Road. I forget its name, I'll remember it in the morning...
http://thebarbiographer.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/#!/barbiographer
the bar biographer
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:24 pm

The Coach House,
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby InkMan » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:05 pm

Living in Battlefield and working in Pollokshields I'm spoiled for choice yet I seem to end up in Armstrong's regularly. Nice enough place but there are better options nearby.

Shuggy
Cleggy you snickering floppy eared hound when courage is needed, you're ne'er around.
Those medals you wear on your moth-eaten chest should be there for bungling at which you are best.
InkMan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Bridie » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:39 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:The Coach House,

Remember when it opened caused quite a stir as it was the first pub in a dry area :D
What's the defination of a dry area? seriously :D
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Autolycus » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:12 pm

Bridie wrote: ........What's the defination of a dry area? seriously :D

The Temperance(Scotland) Act 1913

Edited to thank whoever (Josef ?) made the link work better.

[Edit by josef] You can often post URLs directly into a post and they'll work, but the presence of certain characters (like the bracket in that one) breaks the link. Best to hit the URL button and then paste the link in between the tags (where the cursor will be anyway).
Last edited by Autolycus on Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Autolycus
Autolycus
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Josef » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:28 pm

Or, from The Big Issue:

[..]

The influence of the temperance movement also spread to trade unions and areas of heavy industry, where the demon drink was often though to corrupt the cause of the working man. In the First World War there were worries the drunkenness of munitions workers was hampering productivity.

In 1913 the abstinence campaigners, known mockingly as “pussyfoots”, achieved their greatest triumph. The Temperance (Scotland) Act allowed each district to hold a majority-wins poll on banning the sale of alcohol. Much to their disappointment, only 40 districts voted to go “dry” (leaving more than 500 “wet” areas).

Pub-free areas included the well-to-do suburbs of Glasgow, such as Langside, Kelvinside, Pollokshields and Cathcart, and small industrial towns like Kilsyth, Kirkintilloch and Airdrie. Stromness in the Orkneys was dry from 1920 to 1947, only repealing the ban because the islanders felt they were scaring off rowdy sailors and their cash from the town.

In 1922 Winston Churchill, then a Liberal MP for Dundee, even lost his seat in parliament to prohibitionist candidate Ernest “Neddy” Scrymgeour, who made his name denouncing the city’s predominately female workers, who were thought to be doing a bit too much cavorting and carousing when not hard at work in the jute factories.

[..]

Although it must be said that Churchill finished fourth. And that my, hasn't Dundee changed? :D
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Autolycus » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:41 pm

Good to see mention of the Gothenburg pubs. I read some time ago about The Prestoungrange Gothenburg.
Autolycus
Autolycus
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Josef » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:55 pm

Yes, they're quite interesting, aren't they?

Like you, I was reading about them recently - I thought it was from something said on here, but I can't immediately find the reference. Might have been a knock-on from the discussion that followed someone posting a map of Duke Street/High Street corner, which had a meeting house for one or the other of the Auld Lichts or New Lichts.

Not that there's a direct connection, but you know how it is when you follow down a branch of a branch of a branch.....
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:45 pm

I knew that Scotstounhill/Scotstoun/and Knightswood(?) were "dry" areas but I never knew how that came about or what other areas of Glasgow were the same.
1976 would be about right when pubs sprung up certainly in Scotstounhill.There was the other one at the bottom of Queen Victoria Drive/Dumbarton Road that used to be a fruit shop.

Wasn't it always just The Esquire at Anniesland X and then Reo Stakis at the Pond?
Long walk for a pub crawl pre 1976
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:34 pm

moonbeam,i see the the peel has reopened as il pelle and some of the females behind the bar along with a few of the lady customers are peeling off for a charity calender.ten quid guys to see what drumchapel has to offer,all in a good cause too.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby moonbeam » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:58 pm

Will maybe do a bit of market research in the il pelle and see if the lassies match the calendar!
moonbeam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bankie Boy » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:44 am

Bankie Boy wrote:The Ettrick in Old Kilpatrick is my local. Its a good wee boozer. A decent bar for the locals and a separate lounge with live bands if you fancy that sort of thing. (everything from folk to blues to pop). At weekends the lounge gets very busy.

I notice they have started to offer a 2 course Sunday roast lunch menu for only £5.99. I think I will give that a try today. Will let you know if its any good.
The best things in life aren't things
Bankie Boy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby the bar biographer » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:29 pm

Talking about dry areas, just done a wee piece about Whiteinch in general and Granny Gibb's in particular on my blog.
http://thebarbiographer.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/#!/barbiographer
the bar biographer
First Stripe
First Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Pubs / Clubs / Restaurants