Deep Fried Pizza

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Deep Fried Pizza

Postby floweredpig » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:59 pm

Does any chippy in Glasgow do a Red Pudding Supper?
Or is that an east coast thing?
floweredpig
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby aland » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:08 pm

the chippy on argyle street (diagonally opposite from the waterloo bar) did them deep fried in batter, dont know if it is still open tho
aland
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:14 pm

Here's me from the east coast and never heard of the things. Google to the rescue, so it was.
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Josef » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:15 pm

I'm sure I'm not the only one...

From wiki :

Red pudding is a meat dish commonly served mainly only at chip shops in parts of Scotland as an alternative to fish (see fish and chips). The ingredients consist of bacon, beef, port, pork rind, suet, rusks, spices, salt, beef stock, beef fat and colouring.

This clumpy red coloured food is then formed into a large sausage-like shape of roughly eight inches in length, no different to its black and white pudding family. To encase it, the food is coated thick in batter and then deep fried, ready to be taken away served hot. Bought on its own it's known as a single red, or when accompanied by chips it is known as a red pudding supper.

Don't you just love that 'commonly served mainly only '? :D
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:22 pm

That's a doozy :)
I'm curious as to where the things are commonly known, though. (And seeing it mentioned there, I really fancy a white pudden supper.) Floweredpig, help!

P.S. I used to enjoy the odd deep fried pizza back in the day, from the sadly defunct Seahorse, on the Hilltown in Bonny You-know where.
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Josef » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:26 pm

'clumpy red coloured food' describes a good 25% of my diet.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby floweredpig » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:48 pm

Lucky Poet wrote:That's a doozy :)
I'm curious as to where the things are commonly known, though. (And seeing it mentioned there, I really fancy a white pudden supper.) Floweredpig, help!

P.S. I used to enjoy the odd deep fried pizza back in the day, from the sadly defunct Seahorse, on the Hilltown in Bonny You-know where.
May i recommend the Ferry Fry-In next to the Regal,finshed of with a cake from Goodfellow & Stevens?
floweredpig
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cheesemonster » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:43 pm

aland wrote:the chippy on argyle street (diagonally opposite from the waterloo bar) did them deep fried in batter, dont know if it is still open tho

Diagonally opposite the Waterloo now is the 5* Radisson SAS hotel!
"It's hard to believe people think a real cow dying on film doesn't look like a real cow dying on film"

http://flickr.com/photos/dreamlogic
cheesemonster
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby aland » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:49 am

naw further up, almost opposite tesscos, right greasy spoon of a place
aland
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Stan » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:03 am

Dave wrote:Stan, you never told us if you tried the heart clench delights of the pizza supper?

Not yet, damn, It would have done the trick last night when I left the pub too.... Soon, soon it will be mine.... ::):
Stan
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Monument » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:24 pm

Stan wrote:
Monument wrote:Coia's takeaway on the corner of George St and Buchanan St sells it. Enjoy your cardiac arrest.

Is that the best place to get it IYO ?

Never touch the stuff I am afraid.
A vagabond on the way.
Monument
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dave » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:32 pm

It's amazing how the humble deep fried pizza is being spoke about as if it's something illicit. It's just cheap 70's style pizza fried in chip fat, yes it will likely induce cardiac arrest but it's not illegal just yet.
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scaryman2u » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:21 pm

aland wrote:the chippy on argyle street (diagonally opposite from the waterloo bar) did them deep fried in batter, dont know if it is still open tho

The chippy has been closed a few years now, can`t remember the name, but Inferno rings a bell.
scaryman2u
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dave » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:32 pm

scaryman2u wrote:

The chippy has been closed a few years now, can`t remember the name, but Inferno rings a bell.

Just about all the building on that side of the road are condemned and will soon be 'went on fire' and replaced by shiny things to compliment the International Financial District.

Are you still alive Stan? I saw your post yesterday but the lack of a 'oh my fucking word' response from you fills me with concern ;)
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby big jim » Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:26 pm

Doorstop wrote:The Herald's got previous for stealing stories from this place. Stole one of mine once.

and me last year from the christmas lights thing :roll: ::):

on topic again though the philadelphia in summerston does the deep fryed cheese and onion pizzas with chips and gravy or curry sauce :|
big jim
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Pubs / Clubs / Restaurants