Booze on a Sunday

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Booze on a Sunday

Postby rossmc » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:54 pm

Where, if indeed anywhere, can you get a pint in Glasgow, preferably city centre, on a Sunday before 12.30pm?

Before you ask, no I don't have issues...need to know for the Scottish Cup Semi-Final this Sunday!

All suggestions greatly appreciated :D
rossmc
Just settling in
Just settling in

Re: Booze on a Sunday

Postby Dave » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:07 pm

rossmc wrote:Where, if indeed anywhere, can you get a pint in Glasgow, preferably city centre, on a Sunday before 12.30pm?

Before you ask, no I don't have issues...need to know for the Scottish Cup Semi-Final this Sunday!

Get a hotel room in a proper hotel, licencing laws don't tend to apply to hotel residents so you can get the hotel to bring you some booze to a paid room, then pay your bill on your departure, that how one Cellic Supporters club use to bypass the issue at the Watermill Hotel in Paisley ;)
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:02 pm

rossmc wrote:Where, if indeed anywhere, can you get a pint in Glasgow, preferably city centre, on a Sunday before 12.30pm?

Nowhere. Protestantism rules.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scottland » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:04 pm

Lock the Playgrounds. Fitba and drinking oan the Sabbath, that'll get ye intae Hell awright.
Aye,well.
scottland
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dave » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:43 pm

Does the Lord Nelson in Tradeston not claim a fairly liberal licence? Open from 8am for Beer and Food is the proud boast is it not?
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scottland » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:51 pm

Not on a Sunday.
Aye,well.
scottland
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dave » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:12 am

scottland wrote:Not on a Sunday.

Well I'd be a fool to get into a car let alone on a sunday so I'd struggle to verify it. I do hear stories about justified legal wateringholes made for men who work strange hours. These are probably amonst the most stable pubs as the guys really don't want to rock the boat, mmmmm Sunday cider, not something I have experienced

Not being christian working about these crazy laws and holidays are all but beyond me.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scottland » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:24 am

Not being Christian? That also gets ye intae Hell I believe.
Aye,well.
scottland
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby macdonald » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:51 am

The Wetherspoon's pubs in London all open from 09:00 on Sundays serving alcohol. No requirement to purchase food. I assume they do the sane in the rest of England. Don't know what happens in Wales and NI. From the late seventies until recently Scotland's laws were far more liberal than England's but not now it seems.
macdonald
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby gauneynodaethat » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:25 am

You used to get a pint down at the barras early doors, scout around the pubs there , u might be lucky if u ask around or follow a jakey!
gauneynodaethat
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby BrigitDoon » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:43 pm

I don't see what this has to do with...

rossmc wrote:Before you ask, no I don't have issues...need to know for the Scottish Cup Semi-Final this Sunday!

Falkirk v Dunfermline kicks off at 1500 hrs
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scottland » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:31 pm

Well, he wants to have a few pints before the match starts at 15 00. Hour and half in the pub then make way to match at !4 00.
Aye,well.
scottland
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Booze on a Sunday - Glasgow hours under review.

Postby The Egg Man » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:37 am

The City of Glasgow Licensing Board recently considered a request made by the Scottish Beer and Pub Association that it should consider amending its standard policy on licensed hours to allow on-sales licensed premises the opportunity to sell alcohol before 12.30pm on a Sunday.

The current policy provides that the standard licensed hours for the sale of alcohol for consumption within licensed premises across the City should be:-

11am until 12 midnight, Mondays to Saturdays
12.30pm to 12 midnight on Sundays

The Board has decided to consider the following proposed change to paragraph 5.3 of its current Licensing Policy Statement:-

That the standard licensed hours for the sale of alcohol for consumption within licensed premises across the City should be:-

11am until 12 midnight, Mondays to Sundays.

If this change is approved, it would be set out in a Supplementary Licensing Policy Statement.

In considering this proposed change, the Licensing Board must ensure that the terms of a Supplementary Licensing Policy Statement seek to promote the following five Licensing Objectives:-

Preventing Crime and Disorder
Preventing Public Nuisance
Protecting and Improving Public Health
Protecting Children from Harm
Securing Public Safety

Before deciding whether or not to make this change, the Licensing Board believes it is important to take into account the views of the public and other interested parties, particularly with regard to the Licensing Objectives. You, or your organisation, are therefore invited to take part in a consultation on this proposal which will run from 1st February to 31st March 2012.

Contact

Mairi Millar
Clerk
City of Glasgow Licensing Board
235 George Street
Glasgow G1 1QZ

Phone: 0141 287 5509
Fax: 0141 287 5569

or follow http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/en/YourCouncil/Consultations/ for links to the consultation.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:43 pm

my local serves alcohol from eleven on a sunday.outwith glasgow though not by much.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby pingu » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:59 pm

most pubs showing early sunday games will open about 1130-1200 to let the fans in to see the start of the game but will only serve you soft drinks coffee etc till 1230
toot toot
pingu
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Pubs / Clubs / Restaurants