Best Italian Restaurants

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Best Italian Restaurants

Postby BillM » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:16 am

I can recommend the Villa Toscana at the west end of Argyle St. Most of their customers are Italian, which is a very good recommendation. The food is very good, authentic home cooking rather than the the standard bulk cooked and microwaved which is far too common, parking is easy and you don't pay city centre prices. But the best Italian restaurant in Glasgow is definitely Celino's in Alexandra Parade. Try it and see.
BillM
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Jockissimo » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:07 pm

Sorry to say that unless sartis got way better since 2002, it was over rated and not any better than di maggios on a good night (and they had them in between mediocre ones!) great deli sartis if you have the dosh for oily stuff.

There was a wee unpretentious place down albion st, which did really nice pasta and some sea food pasta even at lunch.

I am maybe embarressed to admit having had my first ever italian at thne spaghetti factory, gibson st winter 1980: okay tucker as far as i recall - washed down with enough cola for an ASBO.
Jockissimo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Giblets On Croute » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:22 pm

Giblets On Croute wrote:Only one winner here, get yourself along to Roma Mia in Darnley Street. Ask Michael or Massimo for their Tagliatellie Roma Mia, its gorgeous. Also great service and atmosphere. Would not go any where else.

Still going here 3 years later, getting better and better. check tripadvisor too! :D
It's business , not personal.
Giblets On Croute
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby dimairt » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:43 pm

Had a terrific late lunch at the Italian Cafe on Albion St this afternoon. Been a few times now and it's always good: nice premises, good staff, excellent food and an affordable wine-list. First-timers might try the small-plates menu.

Durachdan,

Eddy
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RapidAssistant » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:11 pm

If you are in the Merchant City - my vote goes to Trattoria Gia on King Street, just around the corner from the Tron. Charming little place, Italian owned, and great staff - and the food is lush :D
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Giblets On Croute » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:01 pm

Roma Mia is sadly no more, shut doon earlier this month. I spent a bloody fortune in there too! (all worth it tho)
Still, the owner is looking for new premises in Clarkston :D
Giblets On Croute
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Fat Cat » Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:55 pm

Amore on Ingram St is a good shout.
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Giblets On Croute » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:55 am

Roma Mia is now Michaelangelos, Busby road Clarkston. Going today for lunch. :D :D
Giblets On Croute
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby JumpingAtTheWoodside » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:54 pm

La Lanterna, Hope St. Still going strong.
JumpingAtTheWoodside
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby banjo » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:35 am

just had a look through this old thread and noticed that nobody had been to la fiorentina at paisley rd toll.ah,so that's why its just went into liquidation.been there a long time too. 8O
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:20 am

banjo wrote:just had a look through this old thread and noticed that nobody had been to la fiorentina at paisley rd toll.ah,so that's why its just went into liquidation.been there a long time too. 8O

As far as I am aware, they owned the restaurant in Dumbarton Road, La Riviera and because that building is closed due to the wall falling (and they were in a major battle with the other owners of responsibility) this venue propped up the whole business. Also because of the ongoing chaos of insurance and responsibility, the 'liquidation' may just be their way of getting out and leaving everyone else in limbo....
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:17 pm

to be honest Delmont I should not have said liquidation as it was insolvency that they put it into.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Jowie » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:45 am

I would definitely recommend the newly located Sapori D'italia as well as Buongiorno. Both are my favourites. In 2005 lived in Italy, now remember my sunny days visiting the mentioned above ones. The staff and warm atmosphere, needless to say, awsome food makes me feel like I am back to Italy. Really good cafes. Try both, you won't be disappointed.
Jowie
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby rabmania » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:00 am

Jowie wrote:I would definitely recommend the newly located Sapori D'italia as well as Buongiorno. Both are my favourites. In 2005 lived in Italy, now remember my sunny days visiting the mentioned above ones. The staff and warm atmosphere, needless to say, awsome food makes me feel like I am back to Italy. Really good cafes. Try both, you won't be disappointed.

I'm amazed how Italian places outside Italy (and Buongiorno does it too) reinvent Naples' simple pizza marinara as a concoction of seafood. It ain't!
rabmania
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Previous

Return to Pubs / Clubs / Restaurants