Best Curry House

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Best Curry House

Postby Fireman » Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:45 pm

Riotgrrl wrote: (And they give you jelly beans with your bill!)

How cool is that! 8)

That's got to beat those little crunchy things you get, I spend the whole journey home trying to dig the little suckers out from my teeth. Of course, nobody is forcing me to eat them, but ...................

Fireman. :wink:
You can take the man out of Maryhill, but you can't take Maryhill out of the man.
Fireman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Fat Cat » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:22 pm

Not a restaurant, just a take away that's recently opened near to where I live. Singh's Kitchen it's called. So i went round and ordered a chicken tikka and a cheese nan. I've never seen anything so repulsive in my live. You know that scene in The Fly where the guy gets turned inside out - that's what it looked like. And the cheese nan was a nan bread folded in half stuff with some grated cheese. Truly replusive stuff.
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fireman » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:32 pm

You paint a picture! :?
You can take the man out of Maryhill, but you can't take Maryhill out of the man.
Fireman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Fat Cat » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:01 pm

Fireman wrote:You paint a picture! :?

Says the man who spends time sucking on his teeth 8O
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fireman » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:33 pm

So true Fat Cat! :D
Fireman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby angee22 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:56 pm

Shish Mahal in Park Road is fab, Shimla Pinks, Pollokshaws Road, and Turban in Giffnock, all great eating places, food is amazing. Used to love Cafe India but it has changed for the worst. Where is Mr. Singhs please.
angee22
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby onyirtodd » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:38 pm

angee22 wrote:............ Where is Mr. Singhs please.

Sauchiehall Street at Elderslie Street. Two blocks west of Charing Cross.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:15 pm

angee22 wrote:Shish Mahal in Park Road is fab, Shimla Pinks, Pollokshaws Road, and Turban in Giffnock, all great eating places, food is amazing. Used to love Cafe India but it has changed for the worst. Where is Mr. Singhs please.

Had a curry out of Shimla Pinks the other night, portions were a bit small and the lamb fatty and not tender enough. I still think it looks like a sun tan parlour more than a curry house.
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Verbal Kint » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:05 pm

Sticking with the Killermont Polo Club their Garlic Nan is second to none !
Verbal Kint
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Peekay » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:25 pm

angee22 wrote:Shish Mahal in Park Road is fab, Shimla Pinks, Pollokshaws Road, and Turban in Giffnock, all great eating places, food is amazing. Used to love Cafe India but it has changed for the worst. Where is Mr. Singhs please.

*PK tries frantically not to dip his toe in the murky sea of racism*

That's because they are 'Indian' restaurants. What you get a lot of the time is Pakistani food trying to pass itself off as Indian. 9/10 the food just isn't anywhere near as good. You can normally tell them apart with the Pakistani(Muslim) ones being Halal and the Indian(Hindu) not needing to be. Apart from that I try to avoid Halal food purely on ethical/moral grounds because I don't agree with the way the animals are slaughtered. Animal welfare is not exactly high on the list!

PK
Peekay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowdan » Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:44 pm

The people who say that shimla pinks is good cannot be trusted. If they find that artifically-coloured unnatural lack of fresh ingredients tasty then they need to try a real curry house.

I honestly could not believe what I got when I ordered a delivery from them. The (already small) boxes were only half-full and the luminescent mush inside them was rotten. if I was sitting in the food would be going back to the kitchen right away and I'd be out the door walking ten minutes down the road to Cafe Noor or Little India.

It's a place with a big glittery exterior but a rancid waste of food within. I'll never go there again.

Trying out the himalaya tandoori tonight as it's just a couple of blocks away...will let you know how it goes! :)
Crushing the symptoms
glasgowdan
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Riotgrrl » Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:47 pm

glasgowdan wrote:The people who say that shimla pinks is good cannot be trusted. If they find that artifically-coloured unnatural lack of fresh ingredients tasty then they need to try a real curry house.
)

I don't think there is a 'real curry house' quite as close to my house as Shimla Pinks is!!!

I like Shimla's. I like the food. However, if you can tell me where the nearest 'real curry house' is to Shimla's, I promise to go there some time over the next 4 weeks to see if I like it better. Can't say fairer than that.

I sit in at Shimla's, and the service is brilliant, which is part of the charm I think.
International general interest photoboard: http://photofit.proboards.com/index.cgi?
Riotgrrl
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby glasgowdan » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:57 am

I've had great food from both Cafe Noor and Little India...both on Kilmarnock road, just past the granary (on the left). I'm a curry snob I admit it!

PS I tried Mr Singhs for the first time on Friday night and have to admit, it's better than the Shish Mahal. The poor waiters looked a bit grumpy in their kilts right enough!
glasgowdan
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Worst Curry House

Postby Sharon » Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:12 pm

Along with the best I shall place a nomination for the worst Glasgow curry house.

And my nomination for the worst curry house in Glasgow is for the Saffron Lounge on Kilmarnock road, shawlands,. It is a branch of Balbirs curry house in the West End of Glasgow which as far as I could gather had a decent reputation. But alas, my saturday night curry was the single most disappointing curry I have had in Glasgow (apologies for the repetitive language but I am aiming for some google recognition of my complaint).

It was a pleasant venue, average curry and appalling service. And I do mean appalling. Slow from the start, a battle to get drinks a wait of 40 mins between starter and main course, no waiting staff to even hail, unapologetic staff, despite the complaint about slowness a further 10 mins had to be endured before dinner arrived, followed by a further failure to deliver a coffee until again a complaint had been made about slowness. All in all avoid the Saffron Lounge, it will only lead to over priced disappointment.
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Peekay » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:15 pm

Riotgrrl wrote:
glasgowdan wrote:The people who say that shimla pinks is good cannot be trusted. If they find that artifically-coloured unnatural lack of fresh ingredients tasty then they need to try a real curry house.
)

I don't think there is a 'real curry house' quite as close to my house as Shimla Pinks is!!!

I like Shimla's. I like the food. However, if you can tell me where the nearest 'real curry house' is to Shimla's, I promise to go there some time over the next 4 weeks to see if I like it better. Can't say fairer than that.

I sit in at Shimla's, and the service is brilliant, which is part of the charm I think.

Not a sitty-in place but Danny Singhs in Shawlands does good stuff. They even, and I don't want to blow their trumpet too much, they even got a wee award from the Evening Times. Michelin who?
PK
Peekay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Pubs / Clubs / Restaurants